It certainly wasn’t pretty, but the Atlanta Braves did what they had to do to pull out a crucial win Saturday night. A two-out single by Eddie Rosario in the ninth off of Mark Melancon tied the game and sent it to extra innings. Jorge Soler and Ozzie Albies came through in the 10th and the Braves escaped with a 10-8 victory lowering their magic number to clinch the NL East to seven. The loss was significant for the Padres as well as it eliminated them from the wild card race thus ending their postseason hopes.
- Following Saturday’s big win, the Brian Snitker confirmed that Jesse Chavez will start the series finale Sunday in what will be a bullpen game. Expect to see Drew Smyly in the mix as well.
Jesse Chavez starts the bullpen game tomorrow— Gabe Burns (@GabeBurnsAJC) September 26, 2021
- MLB.com’s Andrew Simon takes a closer look at the bizarre circumstances that led Adam Duvall and Dakota Hudson to face off against each other with two different teams on the same day.
- The Braves announced a roster move prior to Saturday’s game reinstating Edgar Santana from the paternity list. Dylan Lee was optioned back to Gwinnett to open a spot on the active roster.
- Dodgers outfielder Cody Bellinger is hopeful that he will be able to return to action next week. Bellinger is currently on the injured list with a fractured rib.
- The Reds placed left-hander Wade Miley on the 10-day injured list due to a neck strain effectively ending his 2021 season.
- Noah Syndergaard threw a scoreless inning at Triple-A Saturday and could make his 2021 season debut sometime next week. Syndergaard has been out since undergoing Tommy John surgery last March.
- The Phillies placed reliever Archie Bradley on the 10-day injured list with a strained left oblique. Bradley will miss the remainder of the regular season. Philadelphia selected the contract of left-hander Kyle Dohy to take Bradley’s spot on the active roster.
- Angels outfielder Mike Trout confirmed that his 2021 season is over. That was pretty obvious considering he has been out since the middle of May with a calf strain and with the Angels on the outside of the postseason again, there is no incentive for bringing Trout at this point.