While it has been an up and down season overall for the Atlanta Braves, there has been a lot of individual accomplishments. For example, Atlanta’s infield now has three players with at least 30 home runs after Ozzie Albies joined the club with another blast Wednesday night. That homer was part of a 9-2 Braves win which reduced their magic number to clinch the NL East to nine. Perhaps the biggest story was a good performance by Ian Anderson who settled down after a shaky start to throw seven innings while allowing just one run. The Braves will try to complete the sweep Thursday afternoon when Charlie Morton faces off against Madison Bumgarner.
Prior to Wednesday’s game, the Braves announced a flurry of roster moves. The team selected the contract of lefty reliever Dylan Lee and recalled infielder Orlando Arcia from Gwinnett. They will take the place of Edgar Santana, who was placed on the paternity list, and Touki Toussaint who is headed for the bereavement list.
- Benches cleared in Wednesday’s game between the Blue Jays and the Rays after Ryan Borucki hit Kevin Kiermaier in the back with a pitch in the eighth inning. That of course came a day after Kiermaier slid in at home and picked up a play card belonging to Blue Jays catcher Alejandro Kirk. The card contained game plan information for how Toronto was planning to pitch to Rays batters in the series.
- The Reds placed infielder Mike Moustakas on the injured list with plantar fasciitis in his right foot. The team selected the contract of reliever Dauri Moreta to take Moustakas’ place on the active roster.
- Speaking of the Reds, they agreed to a two-year contract extension with manager David Bell.
- More manager news, The Athletic’s Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles will retain manager Brandon Hyde for at least the 2022 season.
- The Indians plan to activate Shane Bieber from the injured list to start Friday’s game against the White Sox. Bieber last appeared in a game on June 16 and has been on the 60-day injured list with a shoulder problem.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers designated reliever Shane Greene for assignment Wednesday to open up a roster spot for outfielder AJ Pollock who had been on the injured list. Greene allowed three runs in 6 2/3 innings with the Dodgers.
- Major League Baseball released the schedule for the 2021 edition of the Arizona Fall League Wednesday. Play will begin on October 13. The annual Fall Stars Game will take place on Saturday, November 13 with the AFL Championship Game scheduled to take place on November 20.