Last week was a fun one, wasn’t it Braves fans? Behind a gem from Alan Rangel, the Mississippi Braves won the 2021 Double-A South championship. It was a thrilling 5-game series that went the distance with Greyson Jenista blasting the go-ahead home run, his third of the series.
It wasn’t as smooth sailing for Gwinnett. The Stripers began the Final Stretch run by dropping all five games to the Durham Bulls. Perhaps the best news of the week came after it was all done. Spencer Strider was promoted to Gwinnett for the final home stand of 2021.
Sources tell me that Spencer Strider is heading to Triple-A to finish out the season with the Gwinnett Stripers' bullpen. Spencer has posted a 3.68 ERA across three levels (so far) this season with 150 strikeouts and 40 walks across 93 innings of work.— Eric Cole (@leprekhan) September 27, 2021
So, what’s left in the Atlanta Braves minor-league season?
Gwinnett Stripers (68-56) vs. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (73-52) — Sept. 29-Oct. 3
This is a pretty even matchup statistically speaking. During the regular season, both teams posted a nearly identical record. However, the Jumbo Shrimp began their Final Stretch quest with a 4-1 week.
The two teams met only once this season and it wasn’t pretty for Gwinnett. Jacksonville won the series 5-1 to open June. Kyle Muller pitched a gem for the one win that week. The Stripers hope for much better results as one of just two teams to start the Final Stretch 0-5.
- Gwinnett slashed .245/.326/.416, its .742 OPS was 19th-best in Triple-A.
- Jacksonville slashed .243/.319/.400, its .719 OPS was 23rd-best.
- Gwinnett hit 160 home runs, sixth-best in Triple-A.
- Jacksonville hit 133, tied for 13th most.
- Gwinnett posted a 3.76 ERA and 1.25 WHIP, both good for the third-lowest mark in Triple-A.
- Jacksonville was right behind with a 3.96 ERA and 1.27 WHIP.
Stripers top hitters (qualified only):
- Johan Camargo: .319/.395/.540, 22 doubles, 17 home runs, 64 RBI
- Cristian Pache: .264/.332/.413, 15 doubles, 10 home runs, 38 RBI
- Drew Waters: .245/.333/.392, 22 doubles, 11 home runs, 37 RBI, 28 stolen bases
Jumbo Shrimp top hitters (qualified only):
- Bryson Brigman: .288/.365/.405, 18 doubles, 5 home runs, 33 RBI
- Brian Miller: .260/.319./.330, 15 doubles, 2 home runs, 34 RBI
Gwinnett top pitchers:
- Bryce Elder: 2-3, 2.20 ERA, 36 strikeouts, 0.95 WHIP in 32.2 innings
- Kyle Wright: 9-5, 3.18 ERA, 129 strikeouts, 1.20 WHIP in 130 innings
- Kyle Muller: 5-4, 3.40 ERA, 85 strikeouts, 1.32 WHIP in 76.2 innings
Jumbo Shrimp top pitchers
- Braxton Garrett: 5-3, 3.86 ERA, 82 strikeouts, 1.20 WHIP in 81.2 innings
- Nick Neidert: 6-3, 3.53 ERA, 47 strikeouts, 1.37 WHIP in 63.2 innings
- Shawn Morimando: 3-4, 4.32 ERA, 86 strikeout, 1.35 WHIP in 89.2 innings