Gwinnett Braves @ Buffalo Bisons: Rained Out
Soggy weather in western New York caused last night's game between the G-Braves and Bisons to be rained out. They'll play two seven-inning games starting at 5:05 PM this evening.
Mississippi Braves: 5 vs. Montgomery Biscuits: 2
- Mycal Jones, CF: 1-4, RBI (8), CS (2), .309
- Joe Leonard, 1B: 1-4, R, .208
- Kyle Kubitza, 3B: 0-2, R, 2 BB, 2 K, .283
- Barrett Kleinknecht, LF: 2-4, R, 2B (6), RBI (6), K, .309
- David Rohm, RF: 2-4, R, 2B (6), .222
- Braeden Schlehuber, C: 2-4, 3 RBI (10), .242
- Jason Hursh (W): 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 8:3 GO:FO, 3.38 ERA
- Chasen Shreve: 2.1 IP, 1 BB, 5 K, 2:0 GO:FO, 2.36 ERA
- Shae Simmons (SV): IP, H, 2:0 GO:FO, 1.00 ERA
Mississippi shrugged off a couple of rain delays to defeat the Montgomery Biscuits on Wednesday afternoon. Jason Hursh took the mound for the M-Braves and was okay, lasting 5.2 innings and surrendering two runs on five hits, walking three and striking out four. Hursh's command wasn't top notch, as evidenced by the aforementioned walks and that only 53 of his 95 pitches on the afternoon were strikes. Nevertheless, Hursh induced ground balls and got the occasional strikeout to keep Montgomery hitters in check. It wasn't a dominant outing by any stretch of the imagination, but he kept the ball down and limited damage. Chasen Shreve had a fantastic relief outing, escaping a sixth-inning jam with a strikeout of Jeff Malm, one of his five strikeouts. Shae Simmons picked up his tenth save of the season and lowered his ERA to a tidy 1.00, inducing a 6-4-3 double play to end the game after allowing a ground ball single with one out in the ninth.
The bottom of the lineup did the vast majority of Mississippi's damage on Wednesday, as the trio of Barrett Kleinknecht, David Rohm, and Braeden Schlehuber went a combined 6-12, driving in four of the five Mississippi runs on the day. Rohm and Kleinknecht both doubled, while Schlehuber had a pair of singles that brought home three Mississippi baserunners. Kyle Kubitza had a quintessentially Kubitzan night, walking twice and striking out twice. Myke Jones' only hit on the day was voided as he was caught stealing in the bottom of the fourth after reaching on a single. The M-Braves begin a series with Tennessee tonight at Trustmark Park, sending Williams Perez to the mound.
In other M-Braves news, former first-round pick and outfielder Matt Lipka underwent hand surgery yesterday. Although the nature of the injury in terms of specifics has not been released, he was placed on the DL with a hand contusion back on May 7th, so obviously the problem ended up being a little more serious than a contusion.
Lynchburg Hillcats: 5 at Carolina Mudcats: 3
- José Peraza, 2B: 1-5, R, 2B (7), K, .316
- Kyle Wren, CF: 3-5, 2 R, 2B (2), CS (5), .270
- David Nick, LF: 3-5, R, 2B (2), 2 RBI (6), .394
- Will Skinner, RF: 2-4, R, 2B (10), K, .238
- Edison Sanchez, 1B: 2-3, RBI (10), E (3, fielding), .214
- Greg Ross (W): 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 4 K, 6:2 GO:FO, 2.72 ERA
- Benino Pruneda: 2 IP, 2 H, 3 K, 3:1 GO:FO, 3.68 ERA
- Nate Hyatt (SV): IP, 2 BB, 1 K, 1:0 GO:FO, 2.65 ERA
Peraza makes a over the shoulder catch to rob Gallas a hit and keeps the game tied at 3 going into the top of the 6th.— Tyler Wallace (@Tyler_Wallace49) May 15, 2014
- Victor Caratini, C: 0-3, BB, K, .289
- Joey Meneses, 1B: 1-4, 2B (9), K, .281
- Victor Reyes, RF: 2-4, R, .386
- Jacob Schrader, DH: 2-4, R, .259
- Blake Brown, LF: 1-3, R, HR (1), 3 RBI (11), .228
- Carlos Salazar: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 4:3 GO:FO, 10.67 ERA
- Tyler Vail: 2.1 IP, 2 H, BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
- Brady Feigl: IP, 5 H, 3 ER, K, 4.05 ERA