Back again for another week. A couple of bigger-ish names have been added to various winter league rosters. Joey Terdoslavich will see playing time for the next month with the Toros del Este in the Dominican. Also, the organization's 2nd round pick (65th overall) in this past years draft, Victor Caratini, will play for Leones de Ponce in the Roberto Clemente Winter League (Puerto Rican Winter League).
Earlier in the week, the Braves added three players to the 40-man roster. SS Elmer Reyes, LHP Carlos Perez and RHP Luis Vasquez, who is currently playing for Licey in the DWL, were all added.
Dominican Winter League
- Christian Bethancourt:10G, .143/.196/.167, 2BB/11K – Bethancourt collected one hit in scattered playing time this week. Again, just wait for ST before making judgements on his opening day status.
- Edward Salcedo: 7G, .174/.208/.217, BB/5K – Salcedo did not appear in any games this week.
- Omar Luna: 0-6, 3K – Luna did not appear in any games this week.
- Joey Terdoslavich: 3-8, 3BB/4K – Terdoslavich had an impressive debut this week. He finished a home run shy of the cycle in his first game with el Toros de Este. The switch hitter struggled in his time with Atlanta this season, posting a 66 wRC+ in 92 PA's. Getting accustom to major league pitching is tough in late game, pinch hit situations, but I expect Terdoslavich to be a great bat off the bench in 2014.
- Wifrin Obispo: 13.1IP, 7H, 5ER, 6BB, 12K – Obispo appeared in two games this week, throwing one clean inning with a strikeout in each.
- Ronan Pacheco: IP, H, 0ER, 0BB, 0K – Pacheco did not appear in any games this week.
- Luis Vasquez: 9.1IP, 3H, 2ER, 3BB, 10K – Vasquez was added this week to the Braves 40-man after signing as a minor league free agent.The 27-year-old spend time in the Dodgers system since 2007, but has never been able to crack the major league level. The hard throwing righty tops out in the upper 90's but has been plagued with below average control. Because of the past success of Braves reliever pickups, I am probably more excited about this move than I should be. A reliever with a live arm, relatively high K rate and control issues might just be Roger McDowell's next great success story.
— Mike Newman (@ROTOscouting) November 21, 2013
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ernesto Mejia: 34G, .244/.374/.465, 23BB/34K – Mejia has started to hit his stride, going deep Thursday and Friday for his 7th and 8th home runs of the season. He also collected five walks this past week, upping his OBP to .374.
- Emerson Landoni 1-3, BB – Landoni did not appear in any games this week.
Mexican Winter League
- Daniel Castro: 23G, .208/.255/.333, 2BB/10K – Castro only got three AB this week. Couldn't find anything else worth nothing here.
- Joey Meneses: 7G, .450/.522/.700, 3BB/6K – After making a big splash in his debut, Menses followed up with a home run Monday as part of a four hit game. He already has already reached base 12 times in his first 23 plate appearances.
- Ryan Buchter: 13IP, 5H, ER, 8BB, 26K – Buchter made three appearance this past week, totaling seven strikeouts. He keeps his pace of averaging 2K per inning while keeping his walk total relatively in check.
- Ryan Hinson: 41.1IP, 32H, 18ER, 21B, 26K – Hinson was knocked around again this week, this time only lasting two inning. he gave up five hits on five runs, surrendering two walks while striking out three.
- Mark Lamm: 3.1IP, 4H, 3ER, 5BB, 3K – Lamm did not appear in any games this week.
- Andrew Russell: 7.2IP, 5H, 6ER, 5BB, 4K – Russell made three appearances this week, giving up one hit and no runs. He also had two walks and two strikeouts.
- Daniel Rodriguez: 6IP, 4H, ER, BB, 7K – The lefty made one three inning appearance, striking out four. Still will never forget watching Rodriguez give up 10 runs in a third of an inning this season.
- Matt Kennelly: 6G, .211/.333/.421, 3BB/K – Matt Kennelly, playing for the Perth Heat, has collected five hits and three walks in 23 at bats. He was signed by the Braves earlier in the month, after be released by the Reds. The 25-year-old has been in the Braves organization since 2007 before being resigned this offseason. As a catcher, he hit .216/.263/.284 in 2013 between AA/AAA.
- Victor Caratini: 0-1, K – The 2013 2nd round pick made his winter league debut. Caratini dominated the GCL, posting a .290/.415/.430 as a 19-year-old. It is hard to tell if the 16% walk rate is a sign of great plate approach, or the result of rookie league pitching. Caratini is an exciting bat that could be a quick riser through the system.