Sunday saw yet another great outing from 2020 draftee Spencer Strider who threw five shutout innings with eight strikeouts. 2021 draftee Justyn Henry-Malloy chipped in a homer on a four RBI day, and Rome’s pitching staff combined to throw a gem.
Memphis Redbirds 4, Gwinnett Stripers 3
- Drew Waters, RF: 1-4, R, SB, .235/.334/.370
- Cristian Pache, CF: 1-4, .267/.341/.426
- Jason Kipnis, 2B: 1-3, R, RBI, BB, HR, .279/.378/.473
- Connor Johnstone, SP: 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 5.03 ERA
Connor Johnstone got the start and threw four solid innings, giving up a run on two hits with a pair of strikeouts. Jay Flaa followed and allowed two runs within his inning of work while Thomas Burrows allowed the final run in the two innings he threw out of the pen. Both Victor Arano and Yoan Lopez went one inning without allowing a run to score.
There wasn't a lot of offense outside of a pair of solo homers from Jason Kipnis and Yolmer Sanchez. Johan Camargo picked up a pair of singles, while both Cristian Pache and Drew Waters singled in the loss.
Next Game: 9/7 @ Columbus @ 6:15 PM ET
Mississippi Braves 7, Biloxi Shuckers 2
- Justin Dean, CF: 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB, .239/.349/.363
- Trey Harris, RF: 2-5, R, RBI, 2B, .243/.313/.347
- Braden Shewmake, SS: 1-4, R, BB, .233/.275/.408
- Spencer Strider, SP: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K, 4.75 ERA
Spencer Strider continued to overmatch minor league hitters on Sunday with five shutout innings with eight strikeouts. Troy Bacon and Will Latcham each threw scoreless innings, as did Brooks Wilson. The only two runs Biloxi scored were a pair in the inning that Odalvi Javier threw.
Mississippi took advantage of a poorly pitched game to put up seven runs on just seven hits, due in part to nine walks from Biloxi pitching. Trey Harris went 2-for-5 with a double and drove in three of the Braves runs, while Drew Lugbauer and Jalen Miller also came up with doubles. Lugbauer reached base three times on the day including a pair of walks, as did Justin Dean who singled and walked twice. Braden Shewmake went 1-for-4 with a walk, while Shea Langeliers went 0-for-4 with a walk and three strikeouts.
Next Game: 9/7 vs Montgomery @ 7:35 PM ET
Rome Braves 3, Winston-Salem Dash 2- 11 innings
- Riley Delgado, 3B: 2-4, R, BB, 2B, .247/.308/.308
- Michael Harris, CF: 0-3, 2 BB, .295/.357/.434
- Cody Milligan, 2B: 0-4, 2 R, BB, .240/.332/.302
- Mitch Stallings, SP: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 5.37 ERA
Mitch Stallings started this pitchers duel for Rome, giving up just one run over five innings. Coleman Huntley followed, allowing one run over four innings. Then Ben Dum tossed two scoreless frames in extra innings to get the win. Overall Rome allowed two runs on seven hits and a walk in 11 innings.
Despite a great team pitching performance this game took 11 innings to end because the Rome offense never got going. They picked up their three runs on just three hits and five walks through the 11 innings. Two of the three hits came from Riley Delgado, who also drew one of the five walks, and the third hit was a solo homer by Shean Michel to tie the game in the eighth inning. Cody Milligan would go on to score both of the other Rome runs outside of the Michel homer, and top prospect Michael Harris had an 0-for-3 game, but drew two of the five walks.
Next Game: 9/7 @ Asheville @ 6:35 PM ET
Augusta GreenJackets 8, Fayetteville Woodpeckers 6
- Justyn Henry-Malloy, 3B: 2-5, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2B, HR, .275/.392/.438
- Braulio Vasquez, DH: 3-5, R, 2 RBI, HR, SB, .226/.346/.354
- Tyler Tolve, C: 2-5, R, 2B, .246/.271/.328
- Joey Estes, SP: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2.91 ERA
- Dylan Spain, RP: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
Joey Estes got the start and made it just one inning, giving up a pair of runs on a hit and two walks with just one strikeout. Raineiry Rodriguez followed, giving up two runs over four innings in relief with five strikeouts. Rolddy Munoz allowed two runs in two innings with a pair of strikeouts before Dylan Spain finished this one off with a pair of scoreless innings, racking up four strikeouts.
Recent draft choice Justyn Henry-Malloy was the star for the GreenJackets, going 2-for-5 with a double and a homer as he collected four RBI on the day. Braulio Vasquez homered and stole his 39th base of the season during a three hit game for him. Tyler Tolve, Bryson Horne, and Cam Shepherd had two hits each.
Next Game: 9/7 vs Columbia @ 7:05 PM ET