Whoever said that the MLB Trade Deadline wasn’t exciting certainly wasn’t paying attention Thursday. Let’s get right to it.
- The Braves completed their road trip on a good note with a 6-3 win over the New York Mets. Austin Riley hit his fourth home run in three games and drove in three of Atlanta’s six runs. Dansby Swanson set a new career-high for homers with his 18th to help put the game out of reach. Atlanta ends the trip with a 5-4 record and closes to within four games of the Mets in the NL East standings.
- As mentioned above, things are heating up around the league with several big name players changing teams. The Braves thus far have remained quiet at the deadline but things could always change quickly and there are quite a few paths that they could follow.
- Finally, the Braves released Ender Inciarte Thursday ending his six-year run with the franchise.
MLB Trade Deadline
- Easily the biggest move of the day, the Los Angeles Dodgers are acquiring Nationals ace Max Scherzer and shortstop Trea Turner in exchange for a prospects package headlined by Keibert Ruiz and starter Josiah Gray.
- The Dodgers also picked up lefty Danny Duffy and cash from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for a player to be named later.
- The Yankees made one of the first big splashes of the day acquiring first baseman Anthony Rizzo from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for prospects Alexander Vizcaino and Kevin Alcantara.
- The Chicago White Sox acquired reliever Ryan Tepera from the Cubs in exchange for minor league lefty Bailey Horn.
- The White Sox also acquired veteran second baseman Cesar Hernandez from Cleveland in exchange for left-hander Konnor Pilkington.
- The Seattle Mariners acquired reliever Diego Castillo from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for right-hander J.T. Chargois and third baseman Austin Shenton.
- The Toronto Blue Jays picked up Nationals closer Brad Hand in exchange for catcher Riley Adams.
- The Nationals may not be finished either. Injured outfielder Kyle Schwarber is reportedly drawing interest from multiple teams and could also be moved before the deadline.
- Another name that could be on the move is Mets third baseman J.D. Davis whose name has popped up in trade discussions.
- Cleveland manager Terry Francona announced Thursday that he will step away from the team for the remainder of the 2021 season due to health issues. Former Braves first base coach DeMarlo Hale will take over as the team’s acting manager.
- Mariners left-hander Hector Santiago was given an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a performance enhancing substance.