clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Braves rewind: Whatever happened to…Marcus Giles?

New, 24 comments

Let's take a look at Braves from years past.

Doug Benc/Getty Images

Entering the 21st century, the Braves had two players who quickly rose through the minors: Rafael Furcal and Marcus Giles.

Despite his 5'8" frame, Giles had pop in his bat by evidence of his 37 home runs at Macon in 1998. He was also a doubles machine, hitting 40 for Myrtle Beach in 1999. Giles followed closely behind Furcal to the Majors, being ranked as high as third in the Braves organization. He debuted in April 2001, and it didn't take long for him to make an impact. Approximately one month later, he hit his first major-league home run, and it was a "grand" one.

He split 2001 between the Braves and the minors, and had the starting job in 2002 when he suffered a sprained ankle in May which kept him in the minors until August. In 2003, he stuck for good. He was elected to his first (and only) All-Star Game that year, but suffered a concussion just days before. On July 11, in the second inning against the Cubs in Chicago, Giles was involved in a nasty collision with pitcher Mark Prior. The injury kept him out for a week, but he returned with no ill effects and remained a solid contributor. Giles finished 2003 with 21 homers, a .316 avg. and a team record 49 doubles. According to Fangraphs, Giles was worth 6.7 WAR in 2003. Giles was involved in yet another collision in 2004, this time with teammate Andruw Jones that left him with a broken collarbone and a bruised wrist in addition to a concussion. This kept him out two months, but Giles finished the season with a .311 avg.

Following the 2005 season, Furcal decided on free agency, and the Braves elected to move Giles into the leadoff spot for 2006. He was vocal in his displeasure with the move, and hit just .251 in 528 PA batting leadoff. Giles was non-tendered at season's end, and elected to play for his hometown Padres alongside his brother Brian in 2007. It was his worst season as a major-leaguer, and the team decided to release him.

Giles signed minor-league contracts with the Rockies in 2008 and with the Phillies in 2009 with little success. He has not played since, and has kept a mostly low profile since then; the exception being an incident late in 2009 involving his wife that resulted in him being arrested on suspicion of battery. Although his wife was unhurt, Giles pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge.