clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Weekend Digest: Tulo decides on future; Stanton's monster blast; Marlins have no closer

New, 3 comments

MLB news from the past week.

Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports

Troy Tulowitzki decides to stay in Colorado amid trade rumors

Trade rumors have swirled around Troy Tulowitzki for some time now; there was even talk that he'd go to San Diego. The Rockies entered Friday with an 11-game losing streak and Tulo met with his agent this week to discuss potential trades. In the end, he decided to stay and put the onus on himself to play better.

Tulowitzki is signed through 2020 with an option year.

Giancarlo Stanton's homer clears Dodger Stadium roof

Home runs hardly ever become news here, but when you do something only three other players have done, it merits acknowledgement. Tuesday in Los Angeles, Stanton belted a 467-ft. homer over the canopy shading the left field seats and out of the stadium. Only Mike Piazza, Mark McGwire, and Willie Stargell have hit a home run out of Dodger Stadium. Amazingly, this wasn't the longest homer he's ever hit.

Marlins remove Steve Cishek from closer's role

Steve Cishek blew his fourth save in seven chances on Monday when he surrendered a walk-off homer against the Dodgers. In 13.1 innings, Cishek has allowed 11 runs and manager Mike Redmond has decided to go to closer by committee until the ninth inning can be locked down on a consistent basis. Rafael Soriano has been considered an option as has Jonathan Papelbon.

Phillies promote Maikel Franco

Phillies management believes Maikel Franco is ready to handle the third base job on an everyday basis. Cody Asche has not played well and was sent down to Lehigh Valley on Monday to work on being an outfielder. Franco had a cup of coffee with the Phillies last year and in 16 games hit .179.

GABP smokestack catches fire during Reds game

During Friday's Reds/Giants game, one of the smokestacks adorning GABP caught fire during the sixth inning. The fans seated beneath the smokestacks were evacuated while the fire department went to work putting out the fire. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was said to be a failed propane valve.