(8-13) Gwinnett Braves 1, (10-10) Toledo Mud Hens 7
- Sean Kazmar, 1B: 1-3, 1B, R, .310 BA, .325 OBP, .410 SLG
- Adonis Garcia, DH: 1-4, 1B, SO, .328 BA, .364 OBP, .460 SLG
- Jose Peraza, 2B: 0-2, BB, RBI, 0 SO, .263 BA, .310 OBP
- Chien-Ming Wang (0-2), SP: 7 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 4 SO, 5.55 ERA
- Carlos Fisher, RP: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0.00 ERA
Gwinnett held the lead early by leading 1-0 at the end of the third. Jose Peraza connected with a sac fly to score Sean Kazmar from third base. However, the Braves offense was held silent there after. The team as a whole only collected six hits coming from six different players. Chien-Ming Wang has been battered around a bit by going 17.1 innings pitched with 14 runs scored against this season. Wang has given up just over 9 hits per outing started. Carlos Fisher clotted some of the beating by offering another solid inning of work. He has appeared in four games and pitched an inning in each. He has allowed one hit in three games while striking out three and walking two. Brandon Cunniff pealed the scab off in the ninth inning by allowing two home runs with four runs to score. Cunniff also walked a pair for his second outing for Gwinnett.
Mike Foltynewicz had a scheduled start for Gwinnett Friday, but the Atlanta Braves have called him up. Folty will get his first major league start.
(9-10) Mississippi Braves 6, (10-11) Montgomery Biscuits 10
- Matt Lipka, CF: 2-4, 2 1B, R, BB, SO, .377 BA, .418 OBP
- Seth Loman, DH: 1-4, 3-R HR, .255 BA, .361 OBP
- Daniel Castro, SS: 2-5, 2 1B, 2 R, 0 SO, .348 BA, .368 OBP
- Rio Ruiz, 3B: 1-4, 1B, RBI, BB, SO, .217 BA, .297 OBP
- David Rohm, RF-RP: 2-4, RBI, SO, .310 BA; 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 SO, 0.00 ERA
- Jason Hursh, SP: 2.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 BB, 4 SO, 8.50 ERA
It was nonetheless to say Mississippi's day of pitching was quite...interesting. Jason Hursh has been struggling since the beginning of this season. Today he went only 2.2 innings with 5 runs to score off seven hits. His ERA has jumped up to an astronomical 8.50. This was his worst outing of the season by far but only his second shortest outing. On April 15, he only went two innings and gave up three runs on three hits. Some talks are for him to transition to the bullpen. Maybe this is a wakeup call?
Another pitching oddity came from David Rohm who has been hitting the ball like it is a beach ball. He is sporting a .310/.420/.345 line. Today and yesterday he collected two hits each. All seems normal, right? Well, Rohm came in to pitch the top of the ninth. Looking at the play-by-play, he actually did pretty well on his first two batters! His first batter struck out with the second out fly to center. Granted, the next two batters he walked, but he again struck out to end the inning with no harm done. After doing research, this was not Rohm's first outing. He pitched last year for Mississippi for 1/3 of an inning and faced one batter which he got out.
However, the offense for the Braves did not slack. The team corralled 12 hits. Four players had multi-hit games: Matt Lipka, Daniel Castro, Kevin Ahrens, and Rohm. Lipka and Castro tallied for three runs scored, while Ahrens and Rohm plated a RBI each. Seth Loman crushed a three run homer in the first inning to give the Braves the only lead of the game.
Carolina Mudcats Game: Postponed due to weather in Lynchburg, Va.
The game has been moved to a double header in Carolina when the Hillcats visit for now a four game series next week.
(8-12) Rome Braves 5, (7-14) Lexington Legends 2
- Jordan Edgerton, 3B: 4-4, 4 1B, 2 RBI, BB, .338 BA
- Keith Curcio, CF: 3-4, 3 1B, RBI, R, .361 BA
- Omar Obregon, 2B: 2-4, 3B, RBI, R, .298 BA
- Ozhaino Albies, SS: 1-5, 2B, 2 R, .273 BA
- Braxton Davidson, RF: 1-5, 1B, 0 SO, .214 BA
- Alec Grosser (1-0), SP: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 4 SO, 3.63 ERA
- Zach Quintana, RP: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1.26 ERA
Rome tacked on the hits today by connecting with 13 hits with 3 being extra base hits. Jordan Edgerton has been on a tear this season as he went 4-4 today in Lexington. Edgerton also is riding a four game hit streak, and in those four games, he has gone 10-17 with 7 RBIs. Keith Curcio has also been on a hot streak by riding a 7 game hit streak. Having Curcio ahead of Edgerton in the lineup has been a good 1-2 punch for the Rome squad. Also having Ozhaino Albies leading off and getting on base offers more run support with Albies scoring twice in today's game. Both Curcio and Edgerton lead the team in batting average, extra base hits, and RBIs. Alec Grosser surrendered a run in the first inning but settled down till another run scored in the fifth. Grosser picked up his first win on the season and lasted his longest of the season by going five innings. Quintana showed solid relief, yet again, by going three innings with just one hit and striking out three. He has lowered his ERA to 1.26. Quintana has only allowed two runs in his 11.1 innings pitched.