Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs 9, Gwinnett Braves 2
- Jose Constanza, LF: 3-5, .269
- Gerald Laird, C: 0-3, E
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B: 2-5, 2B, .248
- Phil Gosselin, 2B; 2-4, .272
- Cody Martin, SP: 5 IP, 12 H, 9 R(8 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 3.97 ERA
Cody Martin was absolutely shelled last night by the Phillies AAA affiliate, giving up 8 earned runs on 12 hits in only 5 innings pitched. Martin walked two and only struck out 3. Gerald Laird continued his rehab with another 0-3 effort, including a throwing error. Jose Constanza notched a 3-hit game in his first game back in the AAA lineup.
Jackson Generals 1, Mississippi Braves 3
- Jose Martinez, RF: 2-3, .287
- Christian Bethancourt, DH: 1-3, CS(6), .279
- Edward Salcedo, 1-3, .247
- Michael Lee, SP: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R(0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 4.02 ERA
Mississippi beat the Generals 3-1 last night, with the big blast coming via a bases-clearing double from Christian Marrero. Michael Lee allowed only 1 unearned run in 6.1 innings of work, despite only 2 strikeouts. Jose Martinez was the only M-Brave to notch a multi-hit game, while top prospects Bethancourt and Salcedo each went 1-3.
Lynchburg Hillcats 5, Wilmington Blue Rocks 3
- David Rohm, RF: 2-4, 3B, .293
- Elmer Reyes, SS: 2-4, .282
- Emerson Landoni, 2B: 3-5, .291
- Jarrett Miller, SP: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R(2 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 3.57 ERA
Lynchburg stunned Wilmington last night with 3 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to win 5-3. David Rohm had the big blow with a 3 RBI triple in the 8th inning as part of a 2 hit night. Elmer Reyes also added a 2-hit night, while Emerson Landoni collected 3. Jarrett Miller had a pretty good start, allowing 2 earned runs on 4 hits over 6.1 innings pitched, including an excellent 6/1 K/BB mark.
Rome Braves 8, Charleston River Dogs 5
- Kyle Wren, CF: 1-4, BB, SB(23), CS(4), .321
- Jose Peraza, SS: 2-5, 2 SB(51,52), .281
- Felix Marte, RF: 1-4, HR(3), SB(10), .240
- Joey Meneses, LF: 2-5, 2 2B, .259
- Carlos Franco, 3B: 2-3, 2 BB, .230
- Sean Gilmartin, SP: 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K
Sean Gilmartin continued his rehab with 5 innings of 1 run ball last night. He didn't walk a man and struck out 5, which is encouraging to see, despite the lower level. On offense, Rome ran wild on the River Dogs swiping 4 bags on the night. Jose Peraza stole 2, bumping his season total up to 52, while Kyle Wren nabbed his 23rd. Wren was also thrown out for just the 4th time in his professional career. Felix Marte also stole his 10th base and also added a long ball as well. Joey Meneses had a two double game and third baseman Carlos Franco reached 4 times. All in all, a banner night for Rome.
Bristol White Sox 3, Danville Braves 4
- Johan Camargo, SS: 3-3, 3B, BB, .325
- Victor Caratini, 3B: 2-3, BB, .322
- Victor Reyes, LF: 1-4, .280
- Bryan De La Rosa, DH: 1-3, .286
- Andrew Waszak, SP: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 9 K, 1.43 ERA
Andrew Waszak was dazzling for Danville last night, spinning 6 innings of 2-hit shutout ball with a ridiculous 9 strikeouts. On the year, Waszak is sporting a 1.43 ERA and a .172 opponents batting average. Combine that with a 2.55 GB/FB ratio, and it's easy to see he's dominating. Johan Camargo paced the offense with a perfect day at the plate, going 3-3 with a triple and a walk. Victor Caratini just keeps getting on base, reaching 3 more time last night.
GCL Braves 6, GCL Astros 2
- Cody Livesay, CF: 1-5, SB(15), .301
- Fernelys Sanchez, DH: 3-4, HR(1), 2 SB(5,6), .216
- Hector Garcia, LF: 2-4, .222
- Francisco Gonzalez, SP: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 7.15 ERA
- Carlos Salazar, RP: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.50 ERA
Fernelys Sanchez, one of the toolsiest prospects on the GCL team, put everything together last night for a monster game. Sanchez went 3-4 with a 3 run bomb and also swiped two bases. On the year, his average sits at just .216, but maybe this is what he needs to jump start his bat. Francisco Gonzalez had a decent start, and 2013 draftee Carlos Salazar had another good appearance out of the pen, striking out 2 in a scoreless inning.