Charlotte @ RIchmond (doubleheader postponed)
Huntsville 2, Mississippi 5
Another excellent game pitched by the newly acquired Todd Redmond. his ERA is down to 2.66 this season and he helped stop the M-Braves 8 game losing streak. Jason Perry is the savior of the team after two games. He is already tied for second on the team in RBI and the team lead for homers. He is really just some guy they signed off the street. He has bounced around between the Toronto, Oakland, and Detroit organizations. Mississippi also put Jairo Cuevas on the DL today with an undisclosed shoulder injury. That doesn't sound good.
Lynchburg 7, Myrtle Beach 3
Cofield pitched quite well going into the 4th. Then the wheels fell off. Hernandez has been as dominant as a leadoff hitter can be. Honest he is hitting for a lot more XBH than i expected out of him. He looks like he can dominate a game like Jose Reyes. Big words I know, but just look at the hotlist!
Savannah 2, Rome 7
Wow an Adam Coe sighting. We haven't had one of those since the start of the Appy League season last year. This game puts him soundly over .300 for the season. I'd like to see him take Van Pope's place on our 3B depth chart. Cody Johnson beat the ball into the ground again, but he is struggling to make contact like we all thought he would. Diamond is pitching pretty well so far and I'll be intrigued to see how he develops as the year goes on. He goes on the watchlist.
1. Tommy Hanson - Until he gives up an earned run he stays here. YTD Line: 22IP 5H 6BB 32K. Nuff said.
2. Gorky Hernandez - the kid was an XBH machine this week with 7 in 7 games while holding a .333 avg for the week. He is basically doing everything you can ask of him so far. Though honestly I would like to see more stolen bases. But I'm quibbling.
3. Jo-Jo Reyes - He makes the list because he too still has not allowed a run, but he only has 16IP so far this season. I'll let it slide for now. YTD line: 14IP 6H 5BB 18K
4. B. Canizares - He is still hitting the ball well though he had an 8 game hitting streak halted this week. He hasn't played in a couple of days because of the rain in Richmond. YTD Line: .404 AVG 6 2B 3 HR 12 RBI 4 BB 9 K
5. Todd Redmond - There was a bit of a battle for the bottom spot here, but in the end I gave it to Redmond because he made two starts on the week and came out with a 15IP 12H 3R 0BB 9K line. He is giving up a hit an inning this year but counters that with only 2 walks to keep a very solid 1.06 WHIP. Very solid pickup for us so far.
Honorable Mention: Steve Evarts, Rome; Eric Barrett, Rome; Greg Creek; Mississippi; Jason Perry, Mississippi