A lot of new speculation and a bunch of clarification:
- K-Ros says the Braves talked with the Cardinals about Rick Ankiel, but got nowhere when St. Louis asked for Mike Gonzalez in return
- The two teams also discussed a Blaine Boyer for outfielder Joe Mather swap
I'm not surprised the Braves balked at dealing Gonzalez, even if he is a free agent at the end of the year, he likes Atlanta and there might be a chance the team can retain him. Also, with the uncertainty of Rafael Soriano, I don't think it's possible for the team to trade Gonzalez at this time. Here are Mather's stats from last year, his first year in the majors:
|2008 - Joe Mather||54||133||20||32||7||0||8||18||12||32||1||0||.241||.306||.474|
He's shown good power in his minor league career, but he is a bit old for a prospect. Still, I'd take a flier on him in exchange for Boyer, though I don't know if he is ultimately the guy we're looking for to bat fourth.
- Apparently, the Braves never asked about J.J. Hardy, according to Brewers GM Doug Melvin
- Yesterday, D-Fab mentioned that he was only "hearing" that the Braves were connected with Hardy
- The Braves did inquire on Corey Hart, but the Brewers have no plans to trade the young outfielder
No surprise here. This was the first time hearing either of these names and how they fit for Atlanta was a bit strange, and the cost likely very high.
- Jon Heyman thinks the Marlins will get somebody "good" for Jeremy Hermida
- The Sporting News quotes Bobby Cox as saying he thinks John Smoltz will pitch two more seasons... Bobby's really out there with the flattering praise lately
- The Reds may apparently have some interest in Jeff Francoeur, but the Braves still insist they are not shopping Frenchy