Scranton/WB RailRiders 5, Gwinnett Braves 1 - Game 1, 7 Innings
Scranton/WB RailRiders 2, Gwinnett Braves 1 - Game 2, 7 Innings
The Braves can't muster much offense in either game and get swept in the double header. Their record drops to 12-19 for the season which puts them 8.5 games out of first place. The Pawtucket Sox will come to town tomorrow for a four game series.
Tennessee Smokie 0. Mississippi Braves 6
- Christian Marrero 1B - 1-4 2B(10), K, .264 Avg
- Kyle Russell RF - 2-4 2B(4), RBI(9), .318 Avg
- Barrett Kleinknecht 2B - 2-3 2 RBI(10), BB, .218 Avg
- Aaron Northcraft 5IP 2H 0R 0BB 6K 3.46 ERA
- Ian Thomas 2IP 0H 0R 0BB 4K 1.06 ERA
Missisisppi moves to 19-11 with the win in this one. Aaron Northcraft earned his first victory of the year with five shutout innings. He has been up and down this year allowing zero, one and zero runs in his odd numbered starts but giving up seven and five runs in his even numbered starts. His stats indicate he may have been a little unlucky however considering he has given up just 15 hits in 26 innings while striking out 26 and surrendering just eight walks.
Wilmington Blue Rocks 4, Lynchburg Hillcats 9
- Matt Lipka CF - 3-5 2 2B(9), HR(2), 2 RBI(18), .238 Avg
- Tommy La Stella 2B - 1-4 RBI(4), BB, .550 Avg
- David Rohm RF - 3-5 2B(12), 3B(1), RBI(16), 2 K, .344 Avg
Matt Lipka lead off the game with his second homer of the season and the Hillcats plated four runs in the first, but the Blue Rocks immediately responded with four runs in the second inning to tie the game. The Hillcats plated four more in sixth inning and held on from there. Matt Lipka appears to be turning a corner because in the last ten games he is hitting .361 with nine extra base hits. Last year he has nine extra base hits for the entire season in 199 at bats. He also appears to be striking out more and walking less which has lead to a lower batting average overall, but much increased power (his OPS is about 70 points higher). Could he finally be turning the corner into becoming a legitimate prospect?
Hagerstown Suns 5, Rome Braves 4 - Game 1, 7 Innings
- Josh Elander LF - 2-3 2 HR(5), 2 RBI(23), BB, .318 Avg
- Casey Kalenkosk 1B - 1-4 2B(5), RBI(11), K, .256 Avg
- Felix Marte DH - 2-3 2B(3), 3B(2), K, .237 Avg
- Williams Perez 7IP 6H 5R 2BB 6K 3.78 ERA
Josh Elander has four HR and 11 RBI with an 8/10 BB/K in his last 10 games bringing his OPS during that span to 1.175. The Braves couldn't quite overcome the five runs that Williams Perez allowed. Rome's record drops to 17-11 which puts them a game and a half out of first place in their division.
Hagerstown Suns @ Rome Braves - Game 2 PPD
The teams will make this up tomorrow with another planned doubleheader.