Scranton/WB RailRiders 4, Gwinnett Braves 1
- Todd Cunningham CF - 1-3 2B(3), BB, .255 Avg
- Brian McCann C - 1-4 RBI, .250 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich RF - 3-4 .333 Avg
- Sean Gilmartin 6.2IP 4H 3R 2BB 6K 2.70 ERA
Sean Gilmartin carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning but surrendered three runs in the frame before exiting with two outs. Only Joey Terdoslavich was able to muster more than one hit on the offensive side of the ball and Todd Cunningham had the only extra base hit. The Braves actually outhit the RailRiders (this is really their name?) 7-5 but they just couldn't get the hits with men on base. Brian McCann also made his first rehab appearance with Gwinnett and it looks like he could be back within a week.
Tennessee Smokies 7, Mississippi Braves 0
- Braeden Schlehuber C - 2-4 2B, 208 Avg
- J.R, Graham 5.1IP 7H 3R 3BB 6K 3.45 ERA
The Braves managed just one hit through the first eight innings of this game, before loading the bases with two outs in the bottom of the 9th and having Barrett Kleinknecht pop out to end the game. Coming into this game the Braves had won five straight games and outscored their opponents 34-5 with three (rain shortened) shutouts. They still hold a half game lead over Jacksonville for first place in their division. J.R. Graham has allowed three runs in 5.1 innings pitched in each of his last two games.
Winston-Salem Dash 4, Lynchburg Hillcats 6
- Tommy La Stella DH - 3-3 2B(1), 2 BB, .727 Avg
- William Beckwith 1B - 0-2 3 BB, .261 Avg
- Matt Lipka CF - 1-2 RBI(16), SAC, HBP, .226 Avg
- Will Skinner RF - 2-3 HR(3), 4 RBI(9), .137 Avg
- Navery Moore 7IP 4H 2R 2BB 3K 6.53 ERA
I am going to list some absurd numbers from Tommy La Stella, because YAY NUMBERS! Tommy La Stella has made less outs than games played. He is batting 1.000 against lefties. He is a lefty. He has seven walks and zero strikeouts. His slash line .842/1.091/1.933. He is batting 1.000 with runners in scoring position. Navery Moore has also developed an interesting trend: 7, 1, 5, 2, 6, 2. Do you know what those are? If you guessed his runs allowed in order of appearance you would be correct. The takeaway here is he would be excellent on 10 days rest.
Greenville Drive 4 Rome Braves 7
- Casey Kalenkosky 1B - 2-4 2B(4), HR(3), 3 RBI(10), E(1), .273 Avg
- Carlos Franco 3B - 2-3 2B(5), RBI(14), K, .247 Avg
- Nick DeSantiago C - 2-2 2 2B(3), 2 RBI(2), 2 BB, .158 Avg
- Shae Simmons 2 IP 1H 0R 0BB 5K 1.93 ERA
In 14 innings so far Shae Simmons has struck out 22 batters while allowing just nine hits and two walks. The Braves took him in the 22nd round of last years draft. He started in college but reports had him losing velocity late in games and while he features three pitches he will probably remain in the bullpen in professional ball. Kalenkosky is a power hitting righty who is already tied for the team lead in HR (with Brian McCann). He has contact issues but his power is interesting enough. At 23 he needs to make some noise.