Gwinnett Braves 5, Syracuse Chiefs 4
- Todd Cunningham CG - 2-4 K, .261 Avg
- Tyler Pastornicky 2B - 3-4 2B(9), HR(2), 3 RBI(17), SB(6), .299 Avg
- Daniel Rodriguez 6IP 3H 2R 4BB 7K 5.76 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1IP 0H 0R 0BB 3K 3.60 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky did a little bit of everything in this one. His double in the first knocked in the Braves first run of the game. His two-run homer in the third solidified the lead and his single and stolen base in the eighth put him in position to score the eventual winning run on a Joey Terdoslavich sac fly. I still don't know if he has much of a future with the Braves, but he can still hit a little bit and it's not like our second basemen is blowing up.
Montgomery Biscuits 6, Mississippi Braves 4
- Christian Bethancourt C - 2-4 PO, .276 Avg
- Tommy La Stella 2B - 2-4 RBI(11), .315 Avg
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 1-4 HR(7), 3 RBI(25), .289 avg
- Cody Martin 6IP 7H 4R 4BB 3K 3.02 ERA
Edward Salcedo has continued to put up what has probably been his best month as a professional. He is currently on a 12 game hitting streak which has also coincided with a nice power spike. He hit just two homers all of April, but has now hit five in may - four of which have come in the last eight games. His OPS is up .825 on the season and is at .961 for the month.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans 1, Lynchburg Hillcats 8
- Robby Hefflinger LF - 2-4 2 HR(13), 3 RBI(34), .293 Avg
- Kyle Kubitza 3B - 2-3 2 HR(3), 2 RBI(21), BB, .252 Avg
- Matt Weaver 1B - 2-4 HR(2), 3 RBI(14), K, .203 Avg
- Greg Ross 7IP 5H 1R 2BB 4K 2.79 ERA
All of the Hillcats runs came via the home run today with Hefflinger, Kubitza and Weaver combining for five bombs. Hefflinger leads the Carolina League in homers and is second in OPS in the leagu at .914 (which is about 150 points behind Garin Cecchini of the Red Sox). Kubitza may be starting to find his stroke though he has put up an interesting line this month: .231//400/.431. He has 19 walks for the month but has struck out 27 times. If he had Adam Dunn like power I would be ok with this. I don't mind him getting on base a lot, but i feel like for this be successful at higher levels he is going to need to make more contact in the low minors.
Charleston RiverDogs 8, Rome Braves 9
- Eric Garcia 3-5 2B(2), RBI(6), SB(1), .350 Avg
- Levi Hyams 2B - 2-4 RBI(17), BB, K, SB(8), .321 Avg
- Josh Elander LF - 0-2 2 BB, K, .328 Avg
- Casey Kalenkosy C - 1-3 3B(1), 4 RBI(22), BB, .233 Avg
- Joey Meneses RF - 2-4 HR(1), RBI(10), K, .289 Avg
- Carlos Perez 2.1IP 0H 0R 0BB 2K 1.42 ERA
Rome got all of its offense in the third, fourth and fifth innings with Joey Meneses homer in the fifth being the deciding run. Carlos Perez continues to look impressive working out of the bullpen. He has allowed just 13 hits in 25.1 innings this year and his control is much better with only six walks issued.