Louisville Bats 6, Gwinnett Braves 5
- Jose Constanza LF - 2-4 BB, .283 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich RF - 1-4 2B(16), RBI(27), 2 K, .325 Avg
- Brandon Boggs CF - 3-3 2B(6), 3B(2), 2 RBI(14), BB, .202 Avg
- Joe Leonard DB - 2-2 2B(6), .198 Avg
The Braves attempted to rally late in this one. They went into the ninth down by two and got the first two batters on base. Joey Terdoslavich hit a sac fly to score one, but the offense left Jose Constanza stranded on second. Yohan Flande allowed 13 hits in six innings of work and gave up six runs (four earned).
Jacksonville Suns 3, Mississippi Braves 1
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 2-4 CS(5), .273 Avg
- Jose Martinez RF - 2-4 2B(5), K, .305 Avg
With the loss to the Suns, Mississippi falls behind them by a half game in the division race. Martinez and Salcedo were the only hitters to collect multiple hits and Martinez collected the only extra base hit of the game for the Braves. Alex Wood will take the mound for the Braves tomorrow as they try to regain the division lead.
Carolina Mudcats 3, Lynchburg Hillcats 7
- Matt Lipka CF - 2-4 SB(10), .274 Avg
- Robby Hefflinger LF - 2-5 RBI(29), .296 Avg
- David Rohm DH - 2-4 RBI(17), .326 Avg
- Kyle Kubitza 3B - 2-4 3B(2), 2 RBI(17), BB, .242 Avg
- Shawn McGill C - 3-3 .750 Avg
- Navery Moore 6 IP 7H 3R 1BB 5K 5.94 ERA
- Nate Hyatt 1IP 0H 0R 1BB 3K 4.60 ERA
Matt Lipka picked up with his multi hit ways after an o-fer last night and raised his average up to .276. He finished last season at .271 with a late surge but his power numbers are still light years ahead of previous seasons. Kyle Kubitza has gotten warm in the last week as well. He has three multi-hit games in his last four and hit his first homer on a walk-off three nights ago. He is still showing excellent plate discipline with 10 walks in the last 10 games, but the power might finally be showing up.
Asheville Tourists 4, Rome Braves 6 - Game 1 - Resumed from Suspended Action on 5/17
- Jose Peraza SS - 3-4 3B(1), 2 RBI(11), SB(12), .281 Avg
- Levi Hyams 2B - 3-3 2B(5), 2 RBI(12), .348 Avg
- Josh Elander LF - 1-4 RBI(32), .313 Avg
- Lucas Sims 3.1IP 2H 0R 0BB 3K 3.18 ERA
Lucas Sims continues to get the kid gloves treatment which is fine by me. The Pirates did the same thing with Jameson Taillon the year after he was drafted (though he debuted later in the year) and he is doing pretty well. Sims is currently riding a streak of five consecutive scoreless outings. During that span he has thrown 13.1 innings, allowed 6 hits, 3 walks, and struck out 14. His most impressive stat so far is his batting average against: .154 through 22.2 innings for the seaosn. He has only given up more than one hit in an outing twice this year and he hasn't allowed a walk in his last three appearances.
Asheville Tourists 5, Rome Braves 2 - Game 2, 7 Innings
- Josh Elander LF - 2-3 3B(3), E(1), .320 Avg
- Carlos Franco 3B - 2-2 RBI(17), BB, SB(9), .237 Avg
- Felix Marte RF - 2-3 K, .255 Avg
- Frank Lafreniere 6IP 5H 3R 1BB 5K 5.23 ERA
Josh Elander and Carlos Franco were about all the offense in this one. Franco was on a hot streak a couple of weeks ago but had fallen on hard time again recently. He has a modest four game hitting streak going now but it has been pretty empty so far. He still shows the ability to take walks but his strikeouts remain high.