Gwinnett Braves 3, Pawtucket Red Sox 5
- Jason Heyward RF - 2-3 2 RBI, BB, SB, .294 Avg
- Brandon Boggs LF-RF - 1-4 HR(3), .185 Avg
- Matt Pagnozzi C - 2-2 BB, .224 Avg
- Sean Gilmartin 4 IP, 5H 3 R, 2 BB, 5K 3.10 ERA
Sean Gilmartin held his own but left after just 70 pitches. There are no indications that there is anything wrong. Jason Heyward had a two-run single in the 7th inning that put the Braves within one run, but the bullpen gave up one more to put Gwinnett away. After a couple of hitless games Heyward appears to be getting his swing back. An extended stay in Gwinnett may be beneficial long term if he can get his swing back before heading back to Atlanta.
Huntsville Stars 5, Mississippi Braves 0
- Christian Bethancorut C - 2-3 BB, SB(4), .328 Avg
- Tommy La Stella 2B - 0-4 1 K, .343 Avg
- Christian Marrero 1B - 1-2 2 BB, .270 Avg
- Alex Wood 6 IP 6H 3R 2ER 2 BB 2K 0.82 ERA
Alex Wood allowed his first earned run in 32 innings in the third tonight and then gave up another earned run plus an unearned one. His ERA is still ludicrous. Christian Bethancourt has three two hit games since returning from the DL but tonight he did something pretty rare - he walked for just the second time this season. His bat has been looking great so far this year but I don't believe he will ever have even average plate discipline.
Frederick Keys 7, Lynchburg Hillcats 2
- Matt Lipka CF - 3-5 2B(11), 2 RBI(22), .259 Avg
- William Beckwith 1B - 2-4 2 K, .269 Avg
- Kyle Kubitza 3B - 0-1 3 BB, E(8), .215 Avg
- Nate Hyatt 0.2 IP 4H 4R 1BB 4.91 ERA
Lynchburg went to the ninth inning down by three runs and gave the ball to Nate Hyatt who has been nearly invincible all season, save for his last appearance. Things did not go well from there. Through his first 13 innings this season Hyatt had allowed one run on seven hits, three walks with 18 strikeouts. In his has last two outings he has gone 1.2 innings with five hits, seven runs, five walks and zero strikeouts. Hyatt is supposed to rocket through the system like many of our other drafted relievers, and maybe this is a bump in the road in an otherwise great season, but seeing your era go from 0.69 to 4.91 in less than two innings is a little alarming.
Rome Braves 3, Augusta GreenJackets 5
- Jose Peraza SS - 2-5 K, SB(10), .250 Avg
- Josh Elander LF - 3-5 2 RBI(26), .314 Avg
- Felix Marte CF - 2-5 2B(4), K, .250 Avg