Eric Garcia's grand slam was the deciding factor in Rome's game, while Phil Gosselin drove in the first and final run in Mississippi's victory.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Durham Bulls 2
- Todd Cunningham CF 2-4, SB (1), .235 AVG
- Matt Pagnozzi C 1-3, BB, .250 AVG
- Omar Poveda 6 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
- Yohan Flande 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 2.25 ERA
Omar Poveda's first start in a Braves uniform was a great one, as he tossed 6 shutout innings, striking out 4. The 25 year old righty split last year between AA and AAA for the Marlins. Todd Cunningham followed up yesterday's 2 hit performance with another 2 hit day.
Sean Gilmartin will face the Bulls Tuesday night, with Alex Torres scheduled to throw against him.
Mississippi Braves 3, Mobile Bay Bears 2
- Phil Gosselin 2B 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, SF, .267 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 1-4, .316 AVG
- Myke Jones CF 1-3, 2 SB (2, 3), .364 AVG
- Jaime Pedroza SS 1-1, BB, SB (1), HBP, E (1), .200 AVG
- Gary Moran 5 IP, 2 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 3.60 ERA
- Ian Thomas 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, W (1), 1.93 ERA
- Ryne Harper 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K, SV (2), 0.00 ERA
Phil Gosselin drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the 3rd, then drove in the eventual winning run with a double in the 7th. Edward Salcedo extended his hitting streak to 4 games, going 6-15 with 3 RBI and a walk in that span, striking out just once after going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts in his first game of the year. Gary Moran was solid in his season debut, allowing 2 earned runs in 5 innings, and he was followed by 4 scoreless innings by Ian Thomas and Ryne Harper, who picked up the win and the save respectively.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Off
Ryan Weber will start the Hillcats home opener Tuesday facing off against Alec Asher and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
Rome Braves 7, Greensboro Grasshoppers 6
- Jose Peraza SS 1-3, BB, SB (2), HBP, 2 E (2, 3), .214 AVG
- Ronald Luna 3B 3-3, BB, .385 AVG
- Eric Garcia 2B 1-3, HR (1), 4 RBI, BB, .429 AVG
- Felix Marte RF 1-3, HR (1), 2 RBI, BB, 2 E (1, 2), .154 AVG
- Frank Lafreniere 5.1 IP, 5 R, 3 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 4.26 ERA
- Carlos Perez 1.2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 0 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Brandon Rohde 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 7.71 ERA
- Shae Simmons 1 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (3), 3.00 ERA
The big blast in this game was Eric Garcia's 7th inning grand slam, and the second baseman has gone 3-6 with a walk in the last 2 games. Ronald Luna had a perfect day at the plate, as the 20 year old Colombian rapped out 3 singles and drew a walk. Jose Peraza reached base twice and stole a bag, but also committed a pair of throwing errors, giving him 3 in 5 games. Felix Marte also committed a pair of errors, though he did add a 2 run homer at the plate. Frank Lafreniere picked up a win with a scoreless relief inning in the season opener, but errors hurt him today in his first start of the year, as he allowed 5 runs, 3 earned, in 5.1 innings of work. Carlos Perez had another nice relief outing, stranding an inherited runner and tossing 1.2 scoreless to earn the win. Shae Simmons allowed a run, but picked up his 3 save in the season's fifth game. Last year, David Peterson led the R-Braves with 8 saves.
Rafael Briceno will face the Grasshoppers' Mason Hope tomorrow.