Tyler Pastornicky had a perfect 4 hit night, Sean Gilmartin had a solid start, JR Graham was good before leaving with an injury, and pitchers Navery Moore, Mauricio Cabrera, and Lucas Sims all struggled mightily.
Gwinnett Braves 5, Charlotte Knights 4
- Jose Constanza LF 1-3, BB, .333 AVG
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 4-4 2 2B, RBI, SB (1), 1.000 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 2-4, RBI, .500 AVG
- Matt Pagnozzi C 1-3, 2 RBI, .333 AVG
- Sean Gilmartin 5 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 4 K, W (1), 1.80 ERA
- Andy Russell 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 4 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky started off his season with a perfect night, rapping out a pair of doubles, driving in a run, and stealing a base as part of a 4 hit night. Joe Leonard had a pair of his and a RBI in his first AAA game. Matt Pagnozzi drove in a pair of runs in his first game in the Braves organization. Sean Gilmartin got his year off to a great start, allowing 1 run over 5 innings of work, picking up the win. He did allow 6 hits and 2 walks, so he'll need to keep more runners off the basepaths to remain successful. Andy Russell stranded an inherited runner and tossed 2 hitless innings, striking out 4, to earn the save.
The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday night, with David Hale and Daniel Rodriguez set to go for the G-Braves and Andre Rienzo and former Braves farmhand Tony Pena Jr. set to start for the Knights. The first 2,000 fans will receive a Brandon Beachy bobblehead.
Mississippi Braves 3, Mobile Bay Bears 1
- Christian Marrero 1B 2-4, 2B, .333 AVG
- Kyle Russell RF 1-3, RBI, BB, .167 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 2-4, RBI, .250 AVG
- Jose Martinez PH 1-1, RBI, .667 AVG
- JR Graham 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Mike Lee 3 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 1 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Ryne Harper 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 3 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
JR Graham took a line drive off his calf in the 2nd inning and was removed after the inning was over, so his season debut was a short but sweet 2 scoreless innings. According to M-Braves radio man Kyle Tait, Graham is fine and will be ready for his next start. Mike Lee picked up the win out of the bullpen with 3 scoreless innings. Edward Salcedo picked up a pair of singles and drove in a run. After scoring the winning run last night, Jose Martinez had a pinch hit RBI single tonight.
Alex Wood will make his AA debut tomorrow night, facing off against Anthony Meo for the Bay Bears.
Lynchburg Hillcats 1, Potomac Nationals 12
- Robby Hefflinger DH 1-3, BB, .333 AVG
- Elmer Reyes SS 1-3, .333 AVG
- Navery Moore 1.2 IP, 7 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 1 K, E (1), 37.80 ERA
- David Peterson 1.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Caleb Brewer 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
The Hillcats season began on a down note as starter Navery Moore allowed 7 earned runs without making it out of the second inning. David Peterson tossed 1.1 scoreless innings, though he did allow an inherited runner to score. Caleb Brewer tossed 2 shutout relief innings. Robby Hefflinger began each of the last two seasons with the Hillcats before struggling and being sent down to Rome. He's hoping the third time is a charm and got his year off to a solid start, singling and walking in 4 plate appearances.
AJ Holland will start for the Hillcats Saturday against the P-Nats' Taylor Jordan.
Rome Braves 3, Savannah Sand Gnats 12
- Jose Peraza SS 1-4, 2B, E (1), .250 AVG
- Josh Elander LF 2-4, SB (1), .222 AVG
- Carlos Franco 3B 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI, E (2), .333 AVG
- Mauricio Cabrera 2.2 IP, 6 R, 3 ER, 4 H, 5 BB, 1 K, 10.13 ERA
- Lucas Sims 1.2 IP, 4 ER, 2 H, 4 BB, 1 K, 21.60 ERA
- Carlos Perez 2.1 IP, 0 R, 1 Hh, 1 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
Two of the Braves top pitching prospects pitched in this game, and they struggled mightily, as Mauricio Cabrera and Lucas Sims combined to allow 10 runs, 7 earned, in 4.1 innings, giving up 6 hits and 9 walks while striking out 2. Carlos Perez picked up where he left off last season, striking out 3 over 2.1 scoreless innings, though he did allow 1 of 2 inherited runners to score. Carlos Franco drove in all the team's runs with a 3 run double in the 6th, though he also committed hit second error in as many games. Josh Elander rapped out a pair of singles and stole his first base of the season.
The teams will face off again Saturday night.