Gwinnett Braves - postponed, rain
Persistent rain forced the cancellation of the G-Braves season opener. The game will be made up as part of a double header on Saturday starting at 5pm. Friday's regularly scheduled game will take place at 7pm with lefty Sean Gilmartin scheduled to go for the G-Braves with Zach Stewart scheduled to start for the Charlotte Knights.
Mississippi Braves 2, Mobile Bay Bears 1
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-4, RBI, SB (1), .500 AVG
- Jose Martinez RF 1-2, 2 BB, .500 AVG
- Myke Jones CF 3-4, 2B, RBI, SB (1), OF Assist, .750 AVG
- Aaron Northcraft 6 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 0.00 ERA
- Cody Martin 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ian Thomas 1.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
Aaron Northcraft got his 2013 season of to a phenomenal start, allowing just 2 hits while striking out 8 over 6 shutout innings. The 6'4" sidearming righty has been a testament to the Braves drafting and developing abilities as he's developed from a 10th round draft pick out of high school in 2009 to a legitimate prospect and a member of the Braves 40 man roster. Cody Martin is beginning the year working out of the bullpen while recovering from a broken ankle he suffered last season, and he struggled a bit before giving way to Ian Thomas, who struck out 3 in 1.1 innings. Myke Jones had a 3 hit night that included a walkoff RBI single in the bottom of the 9th. He hit just .141 with 25 strikeouts in 85 at bats for the M-Braves last season. Jose Martinez scored the winning run in his first game in a Braves uniform, collecting a single and a pair of walks on the night. The 6'7" outfielder hit .248 with a .636 OPS last season for the White Sox AA affiliate. Phil Gosselin had a pair of hits as the leadoff hitter.
The teams play again tomorrow, with highly touted righty JR Graham making his season debut for the M-Braves and former Braves farmhand Zeke Spruill taking the hill for the Bay Bears.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Off
Lynchburg's season begins Friday with a three game set in Woodbridge, VA against the Potomac Nationals. Righty Navery Moore will start for the Hillcats against Robbie Ray for the P-Nats.
Rome Braves 5, Savannah Sand Gnats 3
- Jose Peraza SS 1-4, BB, SB (1), .250 AVG
- Levi Hyams 2B 2-3, 2B, 2 BB, SB (1), .667 AVG
- Carlos Franco 3B 2-5, E (1), .400 AVG
- Tyler Tewell C 3-5, 2 2B, RBI, .600 AVG
- Rafael Briceno 5+ IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 3.60 ERA
- Frank Lafreniere 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Zach Jadofsky 1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Shae Simmons 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 1 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
Jose Peraza got his season off to a nice start, reaching base twice and stealing a bag. The athletic shortstop won't turn 19 until the end of the month. Levi Hyams reached base 4 times, with a double, a single, and a pair of walks, adding a steal to round out his box score. Carlos Franco had a pair of singles, but also committed a throwing error. Catcher Tyler Tewell led the team with 3 hits, including 2 doubles. Rafael Briceno tossed 5 scoreless innings before allowing a pair of runners in the 6th, who were allowed to score after he was relieved by Bryam Garcia. Frank Lafreniere, Zach Jadofsky, and Shae Simmons combined for 3 scoreless innings in relief, striking out 5.
The teams face off again Friday, with Gabriel Ynoa scheduled to start for Savannah. The R-Braves have yet to announce a starter.