Matt Lipka hit for the cycle as part of a huge offensive outburst for Lynchburg, Joey Terdoslavich stayed hot, Jose Constanza, Phil Gosselin, and Josh Elander extended hitting streaks, and Cory Rasmus, Nate Hyatt, and Zach Jadofsky continued to excel in relief.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Louisville Bats 0
- Jose Constanza LF 1-4, SB (5), .247 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich RF 2-4, 2B, RBI, .337 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 1-2, 2 BB, .212 AVG
- Daniel Rodriguez 6.1 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 8 K, 5.79 ERA
- Wirfin Obispo 1.1 IP, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 3.27 ERA
- Cory Rasmus 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, SV (4), 0.75 ERA
Joey Terdoslavich drove in Todd Cunningham with a single in the top of the 9th, scoring the only run of the game. It was Terdoslavich's third straight 2 hit day, and he's hitting .436 with a 1.260 OPS, 9 doubles, 2 homers, and 6 RBI in his last 10 games. He's also in a familiar spot, leading the league in doubles with 12. Jose Constanza extended his hitting streak to 8 games, and he's gone 14-36 with a double, a triple, 2 RBI, and 5 runs scored in that stretch. Joe Leonard reached base 3 times tonight, though he's struggling in his first crack at AAA, hitting .212 with a .528 OPS. After giving up 12 earned runs and 6 walks in 6.1 innings in his first 3 starts, Daniel Rodriguez has excelled in his last 2 starts, striking out 18 over 12.1 shutout innings. Cory Rasmus picked up a save in his third straight appearance, and he hasn't allowed an earned run in 9 straight appearances.
Mississippi Braves 8, Huntsville Stars 11
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, E (3), .250 AVG
- Dan Brewer LF-CF 4-5, 2B, 2 RBI, SB (5), .250 AVG
- Braeden Schlehuber C 2-5, RBI, .132 AVG
- Alden Carrithers LF 2-3, .154 AVG
- Michael Lee 4.2 IP, 7 R, 3 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 4.91 ERA
- Pat Egan 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.25 ERA
- Barrett Kleinknecht 1 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 4.50 ERA
Phil Gosselin reached base 3 times, extending his hitting streak to 6 games. He's gone 9-27 with 2 doubles, a RBI, and 3 walks during the streak. Dan Brewer was 2-11 in his last 5 games, but went 4-5 tonight with a double and 2 RBI. Braeden Schlehuber is 3-10 in his last 2 games after going 2-28 in his first 9 games. Alden Carrithers went 8-25 in 9 games with Gwinnett, but had gone 0-10 in 5 games with Mississippi before going 2-3 tonight. Michael Lee made his first start of the season and his defense let him down, as he was charged with 4 unearned runs. Infielder Barrett Kleinknecht made his second pitching appearance of the season, allowing a solo homer, ending a 3 inning scoreless streak he had as a professional.
JR Graham will start for the M-Braves tomorrow against Ariel Pena for the Stars.
Lynchburg Hillcats 15, Winston-Salem Dash 8
- William Beckwith 1B 2-4, 2B, HBP, .269 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger DH 4-5, 2 2B, 3B, RBI, BB, .329 AVG
- Kyle Kubitza 3B 2-4, 2 2B, 4 RBI, BB, HBP, .279 AVG
- David Rohm LF 4-5, 3 2B, 4 RBI, OF Assist, E (1), .364 AVG
- Matt Lipka CF 4-5, 2B, 3B, HR (1), 5 RBI, BB, .216 AVG
- Mark Pope 4 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 11.05 ERA
- Nate Hyatt 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 0.90 ERA
Matt Lipka broke out of a 1-18 slump in his last 5 games by hitting for the cycle, doubling in the 2nd, homering in the 5th, tripling in the 6th, and singling in the 9th. With tonight's game, he raised his batting average from .174 to .212 and his OPS from .515 to .672. Robby Hefflinger followed up his 2 homer game with a 4 hit, 2 double game, and he's gone 6-8 in his last 2 games. David Rohm also had a 4 hit game, and he's slugging .545 after slugging .349 last season with Lynchburg, and already has 12 RBI in 66 at bats after only driving in 26 in 281 at bats last year. Kyle Kubitza had a 2 double day and drove in 4 runs. During his 4 game hitting streak he's gone 6-16 with 4 doubles, a triple, 5 RBI, and a walk. Mark Pope allowed 4 earned runs in 4 innings of work, and the 23 year old righty has struggled in his first season in the Braves organization, allowing 18 earned runs in 14.2 innings over 4 starts, walking 11 while striking out 9. Nate Hyatt allowed his first walks of the season, but still made his seventh straight scoreless appearance, and he's struck out 13 in 9 innings over that span.
The Hillcats begin a series in Salem on Friday with David Peterson scheduled to start for the Cats against William Cuevas for the Red Sox.
Rome Braves 8, Kannapolis Intimidators 6
- Jose Peraza SS 1-5, 2B, .239 AVG
- Levi Hyams 2B 2-5, 2 RBI, SB (2), .250 AVG
- Josh Elander LF 1-3, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, .341 AVG
- Casey Kalenkosky 1B 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, .316 AVG
- Carlos Franco 3B 2-5, 2 RBI, E (9), .197 AVG
- Tyler Tewell C 4-5, RBI, SB (1), .260 AVG
- Frank Lafreniere 6.1 IP, 6 R, 4 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 4.70 ERA
- Zach Jadofsky 2.2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 6 K, W (1), 1.23 ERA
Josh Elander reached base 3 times, extending his hitting streak to 7 games. He's gone 9-26 with 4 doubles, a triple, 4 RBI, and 5 walks in that stretch. Tyler Tewell, playing near his hometown of Charlotte, NC, snapped a 2-25 skid in his last 7 games with a 4 hit day that included his first steal of the season. Levi Hyams had 2 hits and 2 RBI, and he's gone 4-13 with a double, 2 RBI, and a walk in his last 3 games. Carlos Franco also had a pair of his and a pair of RBI, but he committed his ninth error in just his 17th game at third base. His partner on the left side of the infield, shortstop Jose Peraza, who also has 9 errors this year, has gone 5-14 with 2 doubles and a walk in his last 3 games. In his last 2 games, Casey Kalenkosky has gone 4-7 with 2 doubles, a homer, 3 RBI, and a walk. Frank Lafreniere allowed 4 earned runs in 11.1 innings in his first 3 appearances this season, but he's allowed 8 earned runs in 11.2 innings in his last 2 appearances. Zach Jadofsky stranded and inherited runner and struck out 6 over 2.2 scoreless innings to pick up his first win of the year. The 22 year old righty has gotten off to a stellar start, striking out 18 over 14.2 innings in 7 appearances, allowing 2 earned runs and 4 walks.
The R-Braves will head to Greensboro on Friday where Rafael Briceno will start the series opener.