Alex Wood and Yohan Flande dominated, Edward Salcedo doubled in a run to beat ex-Braves prospect Zeke Spruill, Jose Constanza and Robby Hefflinger extended hitting streaks, and Chase Anselment made his season debut.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Charlotte Knights 0
- Jose Constanza LF 1-4, 2 SB (2, 3), OF Assist, .250 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 1-3, .209 AVG
- Yohan Flande 6 IP, 0 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 3 K, W (1), 3.31 ERA
- David Carpenter 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 4.38 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 0.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 1.13 ERA
- Cory Rasmus 1.2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, SV (2), 0.84 ERA
Yohan Flande had an excellent start, tossing 6 shutout innings. In his last 3 appearances, he's struck out 7 while allowing 1 earned run over 11.1 innings. David Carpenter returned from spending a few days with Atlanta to toss a scoreless inning, though he did leave 2 inherited runners in the next inning that Ryan Buchter and Cory Rasmus would eventually strand. Rasmus has struck out 10 while only allowing 1 earned run in 10.2 innings over 8 appearances, though he has walked 5. Jose Constanza extended his hitting streak to 5 games, and he's gone 11-23 with a double and 2 RBI in that stretch.
The Braves will head to Louisville on Tuesday to start a 4 game series, with Tim Corcoran scheduled to start the opener for Gwinnett against Pedro Villareal for the Bats.
Mississippi Braves 1, Mobile Bay Bears 0
- Dan Brewer LF 1-3, BB, SB (4), .214 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 1-4, 2B, RBI, .254 AVG
- Alex Wood 6 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 8 K, 0.82 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.70 ERA
- Pat Egan 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K, W (1), 2.45 ERA
Former Braves prospect Zeke Spruill shutout his old team over 8 innings, but the M-Braves finally plated a run off reliever Bryan Woodall in the top of the 9th when Edward Salcedo doubled in Jose Martinez. Alex Wood had another great start, striking out 8 over 6 shutout innings. In 22 innings over 4 starts, he's struck out 25, walked 4, and allowed 14 hits and 2 earned runs, limiting opposing hitters to a .182 average. Chasen Shreve has struck out 4 in 2.2 shutout innings over his last 3 appearances.
The M-Braves will go for their eighth win in a row tomorrow with Gus Schlosser set to face Mobile's Anthony Meo.
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Winston-Salem Dash 2
- Robby Hefflinger LF 2-4, RBI, .297 AVG
- Kyle Kubitza 3B 1-4, 2B, RBI, .250 AVG
- David Rohm RF 2-4, RBI, SB (2), .345 AVG
- Chase Anselment C 1-4, .250 AVG
- Navery Moore 5 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, W (1), 7.27 ERA
- James Hoyt 3 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 1.88 ERA
- Nate Hyatt 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, SV (3), 1.13 ERA
Navery Moore was wild, walking 4, but was able to work around it, allowing 2 runs, 1 earned, over 5 innings, to pick up his first win of the year. He's gotten off to a rough start, allowing 23 hits in 17.1 innings, and giving up more walks, 9, than he's gotten strikeouts, 8. At 26, James Hoyt is easily the oldest player on the team, even though he'd never played affiliated baseball before this year, but he's quickly proving he's too good for High A, with 20 strikeouts in 14.1 innings over 5 appearances. He does need to cut down on the walks, allowing 10 overall, but he's given up just 5 hits and has a .111 average against. In his last 6 appearances, Nate Hyatt has walked none and struck out 10 over 7 shutout innings, collecting 3 saves. In his last 4 games, Robby Hefflinger has gone 8-16 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI. David Rohm stole his second base of the year, and he's hitting .345 with a .928 OPS through his first 55 at bats. Chase Anselment made his season debut today, going 1-4 and playing his first professional game at catcher. He was drafted as a catcher, but didn't play the position in his debut last year, appearing in 11 games in left field and 31 games in right field.
AJ Holland will start for the Hillcats on Tuesday against Chris Bassitt for the Dash.
Rome Braves - Off
Rome begins a 3 game series in Kannapolis on Tuesday with Williams Perez scheduled to start for the Braves against Brandon Brennan for the Intimidators.