Ernesto Mejia homered for the fourth straight day, Josh Elander and Tyler Pastornicky extended hitting streaks, Robby Hefflinger homered again, Gus Schlosser and Lucas Sims struggled, and utility man Barrett Kleinknecht pitched a perfect inning.
Gwinnett Braves 6, Norfolk Tides 7
- Tyler Pastornicky 2B 2-5, .390 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 2-4, HR (6), 3 RBI, .343 AVG
- Alden Carrithers 3B 2-4, 3B, .429 AVG
- Sean Kazmar SS 3-4, RBI, .333 AVG
- Omar Poveda 5 IP, 4 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 3.27 ERA
- Wirfin Obispo 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 3.86 ERA
Ernesto Mejia homered for the fourth straight game, and during that streak, he's gone 7-18 with a double, 4 homers, and 8 RBI. He's leading the league in homers, RBI, and total bases. Tyler Pastornicky, who is leading the league in hits, had his fourth straight multi-hit game, and during his 5 game hitting streak, he's gone 10-23 with 3 doubles, a homer, and 4 RBI. Alden Carrithers has had at least 1 hit in all 4 games he's played with Gwinnett, going 6-14 with a triple and a walk. Sean Kazmar extended his hitting streak to 5 games, and he's gone 8-19 with 2 doubles, a homer, and 8 RBI in that stretch. Omar Poveda struck out 6 in 5 innings of work, but he also allowed 4 earned runs. Wirfin Obispo has struck out 7 in 4 scoreless innings in his last 3 appearances.
Mississippi Braves 2, Birmingham Barons 13
- Christian Bethancourt C 1-3, RBI, .292 AVG
- Christian Marrero 1B 1-3, BB, .269 AVG
- Gus Schlosser 0.1 IP, 7 R, 6 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 0 K, 11.81 ERA
- Mark Lamm 3 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 3.38 ERA
- Barrett Kleinknecht 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
Gus Schlosser got absolutely beat up in this one, allowing 7 runs, 6 earned, while only recording 1 out before being taken out of the game. Reliever Mike Lee didn't fare much better, allowing 1 of Schlossers runs to score as an inherited runner and giving up 4 more runs before finally getting out of the first inning. Mark Lamm had allowed runs in each of his first 3 appearances this season, but he struck out 4 in 3 shutout innings tonight. Utility man Barrett Kleinknecht showed off his versatility as the infielder tossed a perfect inning on the mound. The former college closer picked up a win last season for Mississippi by throwing 2 scoreless innings in his lone appearance on the mound. Christian Bethancourt has a 4 game hitting streak, going 5-15 with a double, a homer, 3 RBI, and a walk in that stretch.
Gary Moran will start for the M-Braves on Sunday as they try to avoid the sweep against Barons starter Stephen McCray.
Lynchburg Hillcats 5, Potomac Nationals 11 - 10 innings
- Matt Lipka CF 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB, .219 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger DH 2-5, HR (5), 2 RBI, .281 AVG
- Matt Weaver SS 1-3, BB, 2 E (1, 2), .286 AVG
- Mark Pope 5 IP, 6 R, 5 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 8.31 ERA
- Jarrett Miller 3 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 2.57 ERA
Robby Hefflinger hit his league leading fifth homer of the season, and he's gone 4-8 with 3 RBI, and a walk in his last 2 games. Matt Lipka reached base twice, and he has 5 walks in 38 plate appearances this season. Mark Pope allowed 3 earned runs in just 3.2 innings in his first start of the year, and he didn't fare much better tonight, allowing 6 runs, 5 earned, in 5 innings of work. Jarrett Miller has 6 strikeouts in 5 scoreless innings in his last 2 appearances, allowing 1 hit and 2 walks.
The Cats will send Ryan Weber to the mound Sunday against Kylin Turnbull.
Rome Braves 6, Savannah Sand Gnats 8
- Jose Peraza SS 1-4, BB, E (6), .240 AVG
- Ronald Luna 2B 2-5, RBI, .333 AVG
- Josh Elander LF 3-5, 2 RBI, .375 AVG
- Edison Sanchez 1B 3-5, HR (1), 3 RBI, E (1), .304 AVG
- Felix Marte DH 2-4, .217 AVG
- Tony Mueller CF 2-4, .188 AVG
- Patrick Scoggin 4.2 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 5.87 ERA
- Lucas Sims 2 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 7.94 ERA
Josh Elander had 3 singles, extending his hitting streak to 8 games. He's gone 15-35 with 2 doubles, a triple, a homer, 6 RBI, and 2 steals during the streak. Jose Peraza reached base twice, but he also made his sixth error in just his seventh game. Edison Sanchez had a 3 hit day that included his first homer of the year. He's gone 6-12 with a double, a homer, 4 RBI, and a walk in his last 3 games. Ronald Luna had a pair of hits, extending his streak to 4 games, and he's gone 7-17 with a RBI and a walk in that stretch. Patrick Scoggin didn't allow an earned run in 14.1 relief innings last year, but the undrafted free agent has giving up 5 earned runs in 7.2 innings as a starter this season. Lucas Sims took the loss, allowing 2 runs, 1 earned, in 2 innings of work. All 3 of his appearances have come in relief, and he's allowed 5 earned runs, 4 hits, and 5 walks in 5.2 innings, striking out 4.
Frank Lafreniere will start the series finale for the R-Braves on Sunday against Rainy Lara.