Ernesto Mejia homered again, Todd Cunningham, Edward Salcedo, Kyle Kubitza, and Josh Elander all extended hitting streaks, and Maurico Cabrera and Zach Jadofsky excelled on the mound while Sean Gilmartin and Aaron Northcraft struggled.
Gwinnett Braves 6, Durham Bulls 10
- Tyler Pastornicky DH 2-4, 2B, SB (2), .333 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich RF 3-5, 3B, 2 RBI, .296 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 1-5, HR (4), RBI, .296 AVG
- Todd Cunningham CF 2-4, OF Assist, .292 AVG
- Alden Carrithers 2B 2-4, .500 AVG
- Sean Kazmar 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, .250 AVG
- Sean Gilmartin 4 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 H, 5 BB, 2 K, 3.00 ERA
- Cory Rasmus 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.25 ERA
Ernesto Mejia homered for the second straight game, giving him 4 homers in just 27 at bats this season. Todd Cunningham extended his hitting streak to 4 games with a 2 hit day, and he's gone 7-15 with 3 RBI and a walk in that span. Sean Kazmar had 2 doubles and 2 RBI, and he's gone 3-8 with 5 RBI in his last 2 games. Tyler Pastornicky had a pair of hits, including a double, and picked up his second stolen base of the season. Joey Terdoslavich had a 3 hit day that included his first triple of the season, and he drove in a pair of runs as well. Alden Carrithers had a pair of singles in his first career AAA game. After allowing just 1 earned run over 5 innings in his first start of the year, Sean Gilmartin walked 5 today while allowing 3 runs, 2 earned, in just 4 innings of work.
Gwinnett begins a 2 game series in Charlotte Thursday night, with David Hale scheduled to start for the Braves against Andre Rienzo for the Knights.
Mississippi Braves 5, Birmingham Barons 9
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-5, 3B, 2 RBI, .300 AVG
- Kyle Russell DH 1-4, HR (1), RBI, .250 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 2-4, E (1), .348 AVG
- Jose Martinez RF 2-4, 2B, .500 AVG
- Aaron Northcraft 4 IP, 7 R, 6 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 5.40 ERA
- Pat Egan 1 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
Phil Gosselin had his second straight 2 RBI day, and he's gone 4-12 with a double and a triple in his last 3 games. Edward Salcedo made his first error of the season, but he also extended his hitting streak to 5 games, going 8-19 with 3 RBI and a walk in that stretch. Jose Martinez had a pair of hits, including his first extra base hit of the season, and he's 8-16 this season with 2 walks. Kyle Russell clubbed out his first homer of the season. Aaron Northcraft struggled, allowing 7 runs, 6 earned, before being pulled without recording an out in the 5th.
JR Graham will make his second start of the year tomorrow against Barons pitcher Spencer Arroyo.
Lynchburg Hillcats 4, Myrtle Beach Pelicans 0
- Matt Lipka CF 2-4, 2B, SB (3), .273 AVG
- Ross Heffley 2B 1-3, BB, .111 AVG
- Kyle Kubitza 1-4, 2B, RBI, E (3), .400 AVG
- Will Skinner RF 1-3, HR (1), RBI, .200 AVG
- David Peterson 4.2 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 0.00 ERA
- James Hoyt 2.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 4 K, W (1), 5.79 ERA
- Matt Chaffee 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Nathan Hyatt 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 4.50 ERA
After tossing 1.1 scoreless relief innings on Friday, 23 year old righty David Peterson made his first start today, striking out 5 over 4.2 shutout innings before reaching his pitch count limit. James Hoyt relieved Peterson, stranding 2 inherited runners and striking out 4 over 2.1 scoreless innings, good enough to earn him the win. Matt Lipka had 2 hits, including a double, and stole his third base of the year. The 21 year old has reached base in all 5 games he's played this year. Ross Heffley went 0-12 with 6 strikeouts in his last 2 games, but had a single and a walk today. Kyle Kubitza doubled, extending his hitting streak to 5 games.
Navery Moore will start for the Hillcats in the series finale Thursday evening against Luke Jackson.
Rome Braves 3, Greensboro Grasshoppers 2
- Jose Peraza SS 2-4, RBI, E (4), .278 AVG
- Josh Elander LF 1-4, 2B, .323 AVG
- Aris Alcantara 1B 1-3, RBI, BB, .211 AVG
- Carlos Franco 1-2, 2 BB, .200 AVG
- Felix Marte DH 1-2, BB, .158 AVG
- Mauricio Cabrera 5 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 4.70 ERA
- Zach Jadofsky 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 3 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
After allowing 6 runs, 3 earned in just 2.2 innings in his first start, Maurico Cabrera was better today, as the 19 year old Dominican allowed just 1 earned run over 5 innings of work, though he did allow 3 walks. Zach Jadofsky picked up his first save of the year by striking out 3 over 2 shutout innings. The 22 year old righty has 7 strikeouts in 6.2 scoreless innings this season. Josh Elander doubled, extending his hitting streak to 6 games. The 22 year old, converted from catcher to left fielder this spring, has gone 10-26 with 2 doubles, a homer, and 3 RBI in that span. Jose Peraza had a pair of singles, making him 3-7 with a walk in his last 2 games. He also committed his fourth error of the season in just his fifth game of the season. Carlos Franco reached base 3 times, walking twice.
Rome begins a 4 game home and away series against the Savannah Sand Gnats on Thursday, with Williams Perez scheduled to start the opener for the R-Braves.