It was a slow day in the Braves minor leagues, as all the pitching struggled and two games were rained out.
Gwinnett Braves 6, Durham Bulls 4
- Ernesto Mejia, DH: 3-5, 3 RBI, .309
- Luis Durango, CF: 2-5, R, RBI, .281
- Rusty Ryal, LF: 2-4, R, OF Assist, .238
- Sean Gilmartin, SP: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 3.95 ERA
Gwinnett won a wild one against the Bulls, scoring 3 in the top of the ninth for a comeback victory. Ernesto Mejia put the G-Braves ahead with a 2 RBI single, part of a 3-5, 3 RBI day for Gwinnett's DH. Luis Durango scored the winning run after collecting his second hit in the 9th inning. Sean Gilmartin didn't have his best start, but it was still good enough to be a quality start. Gilmartin allowed 3 earned runs on 7 hits in 6.2 innings. He walked 3 and only struck out 1, but did manage to get 9 groundball outs to only 4 flyouts.
Gwinnett opens a series with the Norfolk Tides tomorrow, probables TBA
Mississippi Braves 4, Chattanooga Lookouts 6
- Todd Cunningham, CF: 2-4, 2B, R, RBI, .325
- Tim Smith, LF: 2-3, 2B, R, BB, OF Assist, .293
- Joe Leonard, 3B: 0-2, 2 RBI, 2 BB, .270
- J.R. Graham, SP: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 3.38 ERA
Much like Gilmartin, J.R. Graham had a decent but somewhat ineffective start. Graham allowed 2 runs on 5 hits in just under 5 innings, while walking three and only striking out 2. He too had a great groundball/flyball split at 8/2 but was inefficient, throwing 92 pitches without finishing 5 innings. Todd Cunningham and Tim Smith were the only M-Braves to notch multi-hit games on the contest. Cunningham was 2-4 with a double, run, and RBI, while Smith was 2-3 with a double, walk, and an outfield assist.
Gary Moran pitches tomorrow against the Lookouts.
Lynchburg Hillcats 6, Carolina Mudcats 7
- David Rohm, RF: 3-4, .250
- Emerson Landoni, SS: 2-5, 2B, R, RBI, .207
- Dan Brewer, CF: 2-3, R, RBI, 2 BB, .304
- Michael Lee, SP: 4 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 5.40 ERA
Lynchburg missed a sweep of the Mudcats in the 9th inning, when the Mudcats walked off on Lynchburg reliever Ryan Weber. Michael Lee had a rough start for the Hillcats, allowing 4 runs on 7 hits in 4 innings. Lee struck out 3 and walked a pair too. David Rohm collected 3 singles for Lynchburg, while shortstop Emerson Landoni chipped in with a single and an RBI double. Dan Brewer had a great day at the plate, reaching 4 times on two singles and two walks.
Lynchburg is off tomorrow.
Rome Braves 1, Kannapolis Intimidators 9
- Chase Anselment, LF: 1-3, HR(6), .229
- Elmer Reyes, SS: 1-2, BB, .262
- David Filak, SP: 3 IP, 4 H, 5 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 5.24 ERA
Rome was two-hit by the Intimidators tonight, with Chase Anselment being the only one able to prevent the shutout by hitting his 6th homer of the year. David Filak had a pretty bad start to boot, allowing 5 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits and 3 walks in 3 innings. Not much else to say about this one.
Fabian Williamson takes on the Intimidators tomorrow.
Danville Braves @ Elizabethton Twins - Postponed.
Danville was rained out, but the game will be made up tomorrow as part of a doubleheader. Probables have not yet been announced.
GCL Braves - Off