Gwinnett Braves 2, Norfolk Tides 3
- Rusty Ryal, 2B: 1-4, HR(2), 2 RBI, .265
- Ruben Gotay, 3B: 1-4, R, .234
- Sean Gilmartin, SP: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 3.20 ERA
- Peter Moylan, RP: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 8.10 ERA
Sean Gilmartin turned in his best start with Gwinnett yesterday, throwing 5 innings and allowing only 1 hit, a solo homer. Gilmartin only walked one and struck out 6 men, lowering his AAA ERA to 3.20 in the process. Gwinnett managed only 3 hits on the day, but one was a 2 run homer by Rusty Ryal that drove in Ruben Gotay, who had singled before him. The G-Braves had a 2-1 lead when Gilmartin was removed, but Peter Moylan coughed it up, allowing a run on two hits. The bullpen would give up another, and Gwinnett lost 3-2.
Randall Delgado goes tonight as Gwinnett opens up a series in Durham.
Mississippi Braves 6, Jackson Generals 7 - 13 innings
- Evan Gattis, DH: 3-4, 2 2B, 2 BB, R, 2 RBI, .265
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B: 2-5, HR(4), 2 RBI, 2 R, .314
- Gary Moran, SP: 6 IP, 8 H, 5 R(3 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 3.11 ERA
- Mark Lamm, RP: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 4.19 ERA
Despite being outhit 16-9, Mississippi kept it close but ultimately lost to Jackson on a 13th inning walkoff. Gary Moran started and posted a quality start, but was let down by his defense. Moran went 6 innings, allowing 3 earned runs; the defense let in 2 unearned runs. Moran allowed 10 baserunners while managing 4 strikeouts in what was not his sharpest outing. The bullpen, led by Mark Lamm, kept it close until the end when Cory Rasmus gave up the walkoff. Evan Gattis was a wrecking ball tonight, reaching base 5 times with 2 walks, 2 doubles, and a single. He drove in 2 of the M-Braves' 6 runs as well. Joey Terdoslavich earned a pair of RBIs as well when he connected on his 4th homer of the year.
Zeke Spruill goes against Jackson today.
Lynchburg Hillcats 1, Wilmington Blue Rocks 11
- Myke Jones, CF: 1-3, 2B, R, BB, .262
- Aaron Northcraft, SP: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 9 R(7 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 4.17 ERA
Lynchburg got absolutely throttled by Wilmington last night. The Blue Rocks put up a 10 spot in the 2nd and never looked back. Aaron Northcraft had a disastrous start, recording 4 outs while allowing 7 earned runs on 5 hits and 2 walks. A trio of errors let in two more to cap Northcraft's rough night. On the other side of the ball, the Hillcats were 3 hit. Not too much more to say about this one.
Dimasther Delgado takes on the Blue Rocks today.
Lexington Legends 8, Rome Braves 17
- Robby Hefflinger, LF: 4-5, HR(10), 2 R, 5 RBI, .280
- Tony Mueller, CF: 4-5, RBI, BB, 3 R, .274
- William Beckwith, DH: 2-4, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB, .302
- Brandon Drury, 1B: 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, .226
- David Starn, SP: 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R(1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 5.33 ERA
- David Filak, RP: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R(3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 5.36ERA
Every Rome pitcher allowed at least one run tonight, but it didn't matter because every hitter in the Rome lineup reached base and either scored or drove in a run. Robby Hefflinger led the way with a monstrous night, scoring 2 and driving in 5 as part of a 4 hit day. His 3 run shot in the 8th capped a fantastic day for him. Tony Mueller also had a 4 hit day, notching 4 singles and a walk as well. William Beckwith and Brandon Drury each collected a pair of hits and RBIs as well on the night. The game was actually close at 9-7 in the 8th before Rome blew it open with an 8 spot in the bottom half of the inning.
Greg Ross takes on the Legends tomorrow.
Bluefield Blue Jays 0, Danville Braves 3 - Game 1
- Carlos Franco, 3B: 2-3, R, RBI, .287
- Josh Elander, C: 1-2, 2B, R, RBI, .281
- Aris Alcantara, DH: 1-3, SB(7), .288
- Frank LaFreniere, SP: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 3.93 ERA
- Seth Moranda, SS: 1-3, 2 RBI, .286
- Logan Robbins, CF: 1-2, RBI, R, .234
- Troy Snitker, C: 1-2, R, .281
- Eduardo Castillo, SP: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 7.25 ERA
Danville swept a doubleheader yesterday, winning 3-0 in both games behind some stellar starting pitching. In Game 1, Frank LaFreniere through 6 innings of shutout ball, allowing 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 3. In the nightcap, Eduardo Castillo went 5 shutout innings, allowing 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 3 as well. Carlos Franco and Josh Elander led the way in game one, with Elander clubbing an RBI double and Franco going 2-3 with an RBI. In Game 2 it was Seth Moranda delivering the big knock, a 2-out 2 run single. Logan Robbins added the other run for Danville.
Danville plays Bluefield again this afternoon
GCL Braves - Postponed.
The GCL Braves were rained out yesterday. They were scheduled to play a doubleheader today, but that too has been rained out.