Juan Jaime has excelled as Lynchburg's closer this season.
Edward Salcedo and Connor Lien had perfect days at the plate, and Lien managed to do it without getting a hit, Juan Jaime and Luis Merejo continued their dominance on the mound, and Blake Brown had a nice day for Danville.
Gwinnett Braves 4, Charlotte Knights 3, completion of 6/26
- Luis Durango CF 2-5, .276 AVG
- Jose Constanza DH 2-5, RBI, .310 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 2-4, HR (17), 2 RBI, .302 AVG
- Felix Pie RF 1-2, 3B, BB, HBP, .283 AVG
- Julio Teheran 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 4.37 ERA
- Eric Junge 7 IP, 3 ER, 11 H, 2 BB, 5 K, W (5), 4.76 ERA
Gwinnett Braves 0, Charlotte Knights 8
- Ernesto Mejia DH 1-3, .304 AVG
- Jose Yepez C 2-3, .264 AVG
- Buddy Carlyle 4 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 2.25 ERA
Gwinnett picked up the win in the first game tonight, the completion of the game suspended by rain on June 26th. Julio Teheran pitched 2 scoreless innings that day before rain caused the postponement, and Eric Junge took over tonight, picking up the win by pitching the final 7 innings, working a little bit of magic to only allow 3 earned runs despite allowing 13 baserunners. In his last two appearances, Junge has allowed 4 earned runs in 14 innings, striking out 10 and walking 3. Ernesto Mejia combined to go 3-8 in the 2 games, hitting his 17th homer of the season. He extended his hitting streak to 6 games, going 8-24 with a double, 2 homers, and 5 RBI in that stretch. Luis Durango extended his own hitting streak to 5 games, and he's gone 7-20 with 2 walks in those games. Jose Yepez has gone 8-21 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, and 2 walks during his 6 game hitting streak. Jose Constanza had a pair of hits in the first game to extend his hitting streak to 10 games, and during that span he's hit .400 with a .860 OPS, 9 runs scored, a double, 2 RBI, and 3 walks.
Gwinnett returns home tomorrow to begin a series against the Durham Bulls, with Todd Redmond scheduled to start the opener.
Mississippi Braves 4, Jackson Generals 11
- Todd Cunningham CF 1-3, RBI, .310 AVG
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-4, 2B, .252 AVG
- Jordan Parraz RF 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, .500 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 1B 1-3, RBI, BB, .296 AVG
- David Hale 5 IP, 9 ER, 10 H, 1 BB, 7 K, 4.18 ERA
- Mark Lamm 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.65 ERA
In his last 4 starts, David Hale had allowed 4 earned runs, 24 hits, 10 walks, and struck out 38 in 33.67 innings, but tonight he allowed 9 earned runs and 10 hits in just 5 innings. Inconsistency had plagued Hale throughout his career, and it remains and issue despite his electric arm. Mark Lamm made his sixth consecutive scoreless appearance, striking out 5 over 6.2 innings in that span. Playing in his first AA game since 2009, Jordan Parraz had 2 hits and 2 RBI. In his last 4 games, Todd Cunningham has gone 5-12 with a double, and 3 RBI. In his last 3 games, Phil Gosselin has gone 4-11.
Sean Gilmartin will take on the Generals tomorrow.
Lynchburg Hillcats 10, Wilmington Blue Rocks 9
- Myke Jones CF 0-2, 2 BB, HBP, .256 AVG
- Nick Ahmed SS 2-5, 2 2B, RBI, .265 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 3-3, 2B, BB, SB (16), E (23), .265 AVG
- Chris Garcia 1B 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI, .301 AVG
- Dimasther Delgado 5 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 4 BB, 3 K, 3.68 ERA
- Juan Jaime 1.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 4 K, SV (17), 2.91 ERA
Edward Salcedo missed most of the last week because he had to return to the Dominican to deal with some family issues, but he returned with a bang, scoring a perfect night at the plate, as he rapped out 3 hits, walked, and stole his 16th base of the season. Since the All-Star break he's hitting .296 with a .811 OPS in 8 games. Chris Garcia also had 3 hits, and added on 3 RBI, making him 4-8 with 4 RBI in his last 2 games. Nick Ahmed had a pair of doubles, and in his last 4 games he's gone 6-19 with 3 doubles, a triple, an RBI, and a steal. Dimasther delgado didn't have the best start, allowing 3 earned runs over 5 innings while giving up 4 walks, but over his last 6 starts he has a 2.60 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP in 34.2 innings. Since the start of June, Juan Jaime has 8 saves, a 1.29 ERA, a 1.00 WHIP, and 16 strikeouts in 14 innings over 11 appearances.
Gus Schlosser will start the series finale tomorrow.
Rome Braves - postponed, rain
The Braves and the Greenville Drive will play a doubleheader Friday with Alex Wood and Greg Ross scheduled as the starters.
Danville Braves 8, Bluefield Blue Jays 6
- Eric Garcia SS 2-5, 2B, .200 AVG
- Josh Elander C 1-4, 2B, BB, .333 AVG
- Blake Brown DH 2-4, BB, .190 AVG
- Trenton Moses 3B 1-3, 2 RBI, BB, .208 AVG
- Gerardo Reyes 2B 2-4, RBI, SB (2), .280 AVG
- Kurt Fleming LF 2-4, RBI, OF Assist, .241 AVG
- Eduardo Castillo 5.1 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 9.61 ERA
- Bryam Garcia 1.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 4 K, SV (2), 0.00 ERA
Blake Brown had a pair of singles and a walk today, but this year's 5th round selection is still struggling overall, hitting .190 with a .598 OPS and 30 strikeouts in 58 at bats. Gerardo Reyes had a pair of singles, a RBI, and a steal, snapping a 1-13 skid over his last 3 games. Treton Moses had had a hit in 7 of his last 8 games, but he's hitting just .200 with a .522 OPS in that span. Josh Elander extended his hitting streak to 6 games, going 9-23 with 3 doubles, a triple, a homer, 4 RBI, and 3 walks in that span. Eduardo Castillo had another rough start, allowing 4 earned runs in 5.1 innings. He's given up 12 earned runs in 9.1 innings in his last 2 starts. Bryam Garcia picked up his second save with Danville, and in 4.1 scoreless innings with the team, he's allowed just 3 hits and struck out 7. The 23 year old righty also pitched well for Rome this year, posting a 1.99 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP in 22.2 innings over 11 appearances.
Frank Lafreniere will take on Bluefield in the series finale tomorrow.
GCL Braves 3, GCL Pirates 5
- Jose Peraza SS 1-4, 2 RBI, .309 AVG
- Connor Lien RF 0-0, 3 BB, HPB, 2 SB (5, 6), E (2), OF Assist, .240 AVG
- Robinson Arno 1B 1-2, HR (1), RBI, BB, .286 AVG
- Bryan de la Rosa C 1-2, .200 AVG
- Luis Madrid 2B 2-4, .233 AVG
- AJ Holland 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Luis Merejo 5 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 2.25 ERA
Connor Lien didn't get a hit today, but he also didn't record an official at bat, walking 3 times and getting hit by a pitch for a perfect day at the plate. The 18 year old, who went to high school a few miles from the GCL Braves complex in Orlando, has now reached in 5 consecutive plate appearances, and in his last 6 games he's gone 3-7 with 8 walks. Jose Peraza drove in a pair of runs, and in his last 10 games he's hitting .349 with a .866 OPS, 11 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 5 RBI, and 7 steals. Bryan de la Rosa, the Braves 3rd round pick this year, snapped a 0-10 skid over his last 5 games by going 1-2 today. AJ Holland made his first appearance since May, striking out 1 in a perfect inning. The 22 year old was 1-7 with a 5.52 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP in 45.2 innings for Rome before being sent back to the GCL. Luis Merejo came on after Holland, and the 18 year old Dominican continued to excel in his debut professional season, allowing just 1 unearned run while striking out 5 over 5 innings. In 20 innings he has a 2.25 ERA, a 0.80 WHIP, 25 strikeouts, and just 1 walk.
The Braves will play 2 games against the Blue Jays tomorrow, with the second being the completion of a suspended game from June 26th.