Alex Wood tossed 4 shutout innings for Rome tonight.
Jose Constanza extended his hitting streak to 22 games, Ernesto Mejia clubbed out his 20th homer, Nick Ahmed filled up the box score, Alex Moore and Navery Moore were stellar for Rome, Ross Heffley stayed hot, and Lucas Sims hit the first rough spot of his career.
- Jose Constanza CF 2-4, BB, .324 AVG
- Josh Wilson SS 2-5, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, .264 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 1-5, HR (20), 2 RBI, .304 AVG
- Lance Zawadzki 2B 2-4, .237 AVG
- Julio Teheran 6 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 4.93 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 1.22 ERA
Jose Constanza reached base 3 times, rapping out a pair of singles to extend his hitting streak to 22 games. During the streak, he's gone 38-96, which comes out to a .398 average. Josh Wilson has also been on a roll, knocking out a double and a triple for his third straight multi-hit game. He now has a 9 game hitting streak, going 14-36 with 7 doubles, 2 triples, a homer, and 11 RBI. Ernesto Mejia drove in a pair of runs with his 20th homer of the season. it's the second year in a row the 26 year old has hit the 20 homer mark, clubbing out a Mississippi record 26 last season. Julio Teheran had allowed 20 earned runs in 17.1 innings over his last 4 starts, but he turned in a quality start today, striking out 5 over 6 innings while allowing 3 earned runs. Cory Gearrin made his first appearance of July after taking nearly 3 weeks off to rest his arm and turned in a scoreless innings. For the year, the 25 year old sidearming righty has a 7 saves, a 1.22 ERA, a 1.02 WHIP, 10.6 K/9, 3 BB/9, and 3.4 K/BB in 44.1 innings over 29 appearances, numbers that earned him a selection to the International League All-Star game.
Mississippi Braves 7, Jacksonville Suns 8
- Christian Bethancourt C 1-5, HR (1), RBI, SB (7), E (6), .239 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 2-4, 2B, RBI, .275 AVG
- Christian Marrero RF 3-4, HR (1), RBI, SB (1), .400 AVG
- David Hale 5.2 IP, 5 ER, 6 H, 5 BB, 6 K, 4.26 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 1.25 ERA
Christian Bethancourt hit his first homer of the season, and it was just his fifth extra base hit of the year. The 20 year old is scuffling in July, hitting just .158 with a .451 OPS in 38 at bats. Christian Marrero had a big day, rapping out 3 hits, including his first homer with the M-Braves, and stole his first base with the team. In his last 10 games, Joe Leonard is hitting .321 with a 1.013 OPS, 2 doubles, 2 homers, and 10 RBI. After allowing just 1 earned run over 5 innings in his last start, David Hale allowed 5 earned in 5.2 innings today, hurting himself by allowing 5 walks. He had only allowed 5 walks total in his previous 5 starts, covering 32 innings. Ryan Bucther tossed a scoreless inning, and the 25 year old lefty has had a great year, posting a 1.25 ERA, a 1.00 WHIP, 10.8 K/9, 4 BB/9, and 2.7 K/BB in 36 innings over 30 appearances. He's holding lefties to a .200 average against, but he's doing even better against righties, keeping them to a .141 average.
Brett Leach will start tomorrow against the Suns.
Lynchburg Hillcats 8, Potomac Nationals 11
- Nick Ahmed SS 2-3, HR (6), 3 RBI, 2 BB, 2 SB (27, 28), .277 AVG
- Adam Milligan LF 2-5, 2B, .242 AVG
- Braeden Schlehuber C 3-5, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI, .288 AVG
- Cody Martin 4 IP, 6 ER, 7 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 3.28
Nick Ahmed filled up the stat sheet, reaching base 4 times, hitting his sixth homer of the year, driving in 3 runs, and stealing a pair of bases to tighten his grip on the league lead for steals. It was his third straight multi-hit game, and he's gone 7-11 with 4 doubles, a homer, 8 RBI, and 3 walks in that span. In 104 at bats since the All-Star break, he's hitting .317 with a .911 OPS. Braeden Schlehuber had a 3 hit, 3 RBI day. The 24 year old has set career highs in triples, homers, and RBI this season. In his last 2 games, Adam Milligan has gone 4-10 with a doubles, a triple, a homer, and 2 RBI. In his last 8 appearances, Cody Martin allowed 6 earned runs in 36.2 innings, including his 14 stirkeout complete game shutout in his last start, but he allowed 6 earned runs in just 4 innings of work today.
Mike Lee will make his first start for the Hillcats on Friday as the team heads to Zebulon, NC to begin a series against the Carolina Mudcats.
Rome Braves 2, Savannah Sand Gnats 1
- Ross Heffley 2B 2-4, RBI, .315 AVG
- Fernando de los Santos SS 1-3, RBI, .241 AVG
- Alex Wood 4 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 2.25 ERA
- Peter Moylan 1 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 12.00 ERA
- Navery Moore 3 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K, W (5), 4.36 ERA
- David Peterson 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K, SV (3), 2.31 ERA
Peter Moylan made his third rehab appearance for Rome, allowing 1 earned run over 1 inning of work. In 7.2 innings over 7 appearances between Rome and the GCL Braves, he's allowed 8 earned runs, 8 hits, 3 walks, and struck out 6. While the numbers might be ugly, Moylan says his arm feels good. Alex Wood, this year's 2nd round draft pick, had the best start of his career, tossing 4 shutout innings, allowing no hits and 1 walk. The 21 year old lefty has a 2.25 ERA, a 1.00 WHIP, and 15 strikeouts in 16 innings over 5 starts. Since moving to the bullpen to accommodate Wood, Navery Moore had allowed 10 earned runs in 11 innings, but he picked up the win tonight with 3 scoreless innings, striking out 4 in the process. David Peterson struck out all 3 hitters he faced to pick up his third save of the year.
David Starn will face Savannah on Friday.
Danville Braves 3, Burlington Royals 4
- Trenton Moses DH 2-4, 2B, RBI, .277 AVG
- Troy Snitker C 2-4, .313 AVG
- Lucas Sims 1.1 IP, 3 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 0 K, 7.36 ERA
- Clint Wright 2.2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 0.96 ERA
Lucas Sims ran into the first real trouble of his career, allowing a first inning 3 run homer to Bubba Starling, the fifth overall pick of the 2011 draft. Starling has 3 career homers, and they've all come against Danville. Sims, the Braves first round pick this year, had only allowed 1 earned run in 9.1 innings between Danville and the GCL before today. Clint Wright struck out 5 over 2.2 innings, and the 22 year old righty has allowed just 1 earned run, 4 hits, and 1 walk in 9.1 innings with Danville. In his last 3 games, Trenton Moses has gone 5-10 with a doubles, a homer, and 3 RBI.
Ernesto Silva will face the Royals tomorrow.
GCL Braves 0, GCL Blue Jays 2, Game 1
- Connor Lien CF 1-3, .262 AVG
- Joey Menses RF 1-2, BB, OF Assist, .253 AVG
- Robinson Arno 1B 1-3, 2B, .294 AVG
- Abraham Espinosa 4 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 5.48 ERA
- Brandon Rohde 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.93 ERA
GCL Braves 3, GCL Blue Jays 14, Game 2
- Cody Livesay CF 1-3, .333 AVG
- Luis Madrid 2B 3-4, 2 RBI, .259 AVG
- Jackson Laumann 1B 3-4, RBI, .312 AVG
- Eric Garcia SS 2-4, E (1), .231 AVG
- Bryan de la Rosa C 1-2, .229 AVG
- Fernelys Sanchez RF 1-3, .250 AVG
In his last 10 games, Connor Lien is hitting .303 with a .772 OPS, and 4 RBI, and for the year he has a .418 OBP. In his last 4 games, Joey Menses has gone 6-14 with a triple and a RBI. After going 3-19 in his previous 6 games, Luis Madrid had 3 hits today, driving in a pair of runs. Jackson Laumann had his third straight multi-hit game, and during that stretch, he's gone 8-14 with a double and 2 RBI. Fernelys Sanchez has a 5 game hitting streak, going 5-16 during that span, striking out 9 times. Abraham Espinosa allowed 2 earned runs in 4 innings, and over his last 3 starts he's allowed 3 earned runs in 11 innings, striking out 11. In 9.2 innings over 7 appearances, 25th rounder Brandon Rhode has allowed 1 earned run, 6 hits, 1 walk, and struck out 10.
Andry Ubiera will face the Tigers tomorrow.
DSL Braves 6, DSL Brewers 5
- Omar Obregon SS 2-3, SB (6), .271 AVG
- Johan Camargo 3B 3-4, RBI, BB, .301 AVG
- Iosif Bernal LF 2-2, 2 BB, .273 AVG
Iosif Bernal had a perfect day at the plate, reaching base all 4 times he came up. The 17 year old Panamanian has gone 7-19 with 3 doubles, 4 RBI, and 6 walks in his last 7 games. In his last 8 games, 18 year old Panamanian Johan Camargo has gone 10-31 with 4 doubles, 6 RBI, and 5 RBI. In his last 5 games, 18 year old Nicaraguan Omar Obregon has gone 5-12 with a RBI and a walk.