Peter Moylan began his rehab with the Rome Braves last night. Read all about it and the rest of the Braves minor league action.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Louisville Bats 22
- Tyler Pastornicky, SS: 3-4, 2B, 3B, .268
- Yohan Flande, SP: 0.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 4.37 ERA
There's nothing I can say about this game that isn't readily apparent from looking at the score. If you need more proof as to what a bad game this was, an infielder who the Braves signed yesterday to provide AAA depth pitched the 8th inning. He still didn't give up as many runs as Yohan Flande did. Yep.
Julio Teheran takes on the Bats tomorrow, as Braves fans everywhere pray for a strong outing.
Mississippi Braves @ Jackson Generals - Postponed
Salem Red Sox 0, Lynchburg Hillcats 1
- Braeden Schlehuber, C: 2-3, .291
- Nick Ahmed, SS: 1-2, BB, R, SB(25)
- Cody Martin, SP: 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 14 K, 2.80 ERA
Lynchburg's offense was 5-hit tonight, but it didn't matter because Cody Martin threw the best game of any Braves' farmhand so far this year. Martin was absolutely dazzling, striking out a stunning 14 men en route to a complete game shut out. Martin struck out men in every inning except the third and only allowed 2 hits and one walk. To put it in perspective, Martin recorded a majority of his 27 outs by way of the strikeout, and posted a WHIP of 0.33 on the night. Martin has arguably been the best pitcher in the system during the month of July, and his numbers back it up. Over his last 3 starts, Martin has gone 21 innings, allowing 2 runs on 8 hits, walked one, and struck out 30 men. Unsurpsingly, he is 3-0 in those 3 starts.
J.R. Graham goes tomorrow against Salem, looking for his 9th win.
West Virginia Power 6, Rome Braves 1 - Game 1
- Robby Hefflinger, LF: 2-3, R, .279
- Will Skinner, RF: 1-3, .260
- Alex Wood, SP: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 4.50 ERA
- Peter Moylan, RP: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
West Virginia Power 9, Rome Braves 0 - Game 2
- Robby Hefflinger, LF: 2-2, 2B, BB, .290
- Jarrett Miller, SP: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 5 BB, 4 K, 4.40 ERA
- Navery Moore, RP: 2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 4.54 ERA
Rome managed all of 6 hits combined across two games of a doubleheader. Robby Hefflinger had 4 of them. The offense was horrific. Alex Wood started in the first game and had his first rough outing, going 4 innings and allowing 4 runs on 8 baserunners. Jarrett Miller and Navery Moore split the nightcap, and both were rough too. Each of them allowed 4 earned runs. The only pitcher not scored on in these two games was Peter Moylan, who made his first appearance with Rome.
Rome plays Asheville tomorrow, probables TBA.
Princeton Rays 5, Danville Braves 4
- Aris Alcantara, 1B: 3-4, 2B, R, RBI, .342
- Felix Marte, LF: 2-3, R, RBI, 2 BB, .385
- Williams Perez, SP: 5 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 5.21 ERA
- Carlos Perez, RP: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 2.31 ERA
Danville was nipped by Princeton despite a strong showing from Aris Alcantara and Felix Marte, Rome's hottest hitters. Alcantara went 3-4 with a double, run, and RBI, while Marte was 2-3 with a pair of walks, a run scored, and an RBI. Williams Perez started and wasn't sharp, allowing 5 runs in 5 innings. He gave up 8 hits but walked no one, striking out 4. Carlos Perez had two scoreless innings in relief.
Lucas Sims makes his first start with Danville tomorrow.
- Jose Pereza, SS: 2-4, R, RBI, SB(10), .318
- Conner Lien, RF: 2-4, 2 RBI, R, OF Assist, .267
- Justin Black, DH: 1-4, 2 RBI, R, .122
- Jackson Laumann, 1B: 1-3, R, BB, .254
- Jaden Dillon, SP: 4 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1.93 ERA
The GCL Braves beat the GCL Phils behind a balanced attack that saw 8 of the 9 regulars get at least 1 hit. Jose Pereza was on two more times today and swiped his 10th base of the year. Conner Lien went 2-4 as well, driving in a pair and throwing out a runner going first to third. Justin Black had one hit, but made it count, driving in a pair. Jaden Dillon pitched to contact well, throwing 4 scoreless innings without managing a single strikeout.
The GCL Braves take on the Phils again tomorrow