Gwinnett Braves - Off (All Star Break)
Birmingham Barons 5, Mississippi Braves 6 - 10 Innings
- Jordan Parraz, RF: 2-4, BB, .235
- Alden Carrithers, LF: 2-3, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB, .241
- Matthew Kennelly, C: 2-4, 2B, R, BB, .225
- Joe Leonard, 3B: 1-2, 2 R, RBI, 3 BB, .274
- Ben Sheets, SP: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 5.06 ERA
Ben Sheets made his second start for Mississippi and was, by all accounts, pretty sharp. Sheets went 5.2 innings, allowing 2 earned runs on 7 hits. More encouraging though was that he didn't walk a batter and seemed to be regaining a feel for his curveball, getting several of his 4 whiffs on it. Joe Leonard had a great night getting on base, with a 2 RBI single and 3 walks. Jordan Parraz continued his rehab, going 2-4 with a walk. Mississippi walked off the Barons in 10 innings when Alden Carrithers drew a leadoff walk, advanced to third on a throwing error, and scored on a squeeze play by Keenan Wiley
Mississippi is off today.
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Winston-Salem Dash 5
- Myke Jones, CF: 2-4, R, .261
- Tommy La Stella, 2B: 1-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI, .274
- Aaron Northcraft, SP: 6 IP, 8 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 9 K, 3.45 ERA
- Blaine Sims, RP: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.05 ERA
Aaron Northcraft had his strikeout stuff working but was a bit too hittable, allowing 8 hits and 4 earned runs over 6 innings. Despite the runs, Northcraft managed to strike out 9 men in 6 innings while only walking one. Over Northcraft's last 4 starts - spanning 30 innings - he has struck out 35 while walking only 5. Over the same time frame he has only allowed 8 earned runs. Lynchburg only managed 5 hits tonight, with 2 coming from Myke Jones, who's really starting to pick up his game of late. Tommy La Stella delivered the big blow, a 2 RBI double, but it wasn't enough to put Lynchburg over the top.
Lynchburg is off today.
Rome Braves - Off
Danville Braves 2, Princeton Rays 3
- Trenton Moses, 3B: 2-3, 2B, .250
- Felix Marte, RF: 1-3, HR(6), BB, .391
- Ronald Luna, SS: 2-4, .326
- Mauricio Cabrera, SP: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 2.70 ERA
Mauricio Cabrera didn't have his best stuff today, but still threw a solid game. Cabrera, the Braves top international signing a year ago, went 5 innings, allowing 2 earned runs on 4 hits and 2 walks while whiffing 4. Despite an 0-2 record, Cabrera has only 16 hits and 7 earned runs in 23.1 Danville innings. His K/BB sits at an impressive 23/8. Felix Marte continued his torrid hitting, hammering out his 6th homer of the young season and drawing a walk. Trenton Moses and Ronald Luna each collected a pair of hits for Danville as well.
Danville is off today.
GCL Braves 2, GCL Tigers 5
- Conner Lien, RF: 3-4, .257
- Mike Dodig, 3B: 1-2, 2B, RBI, .156
- Tyler Tewell, C: 1-2, R, .296
- A.J. Holland, SP: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 10.80 ERA
A.J. Holland made his second start back from injury, and was not sharp at all, giving up 2 runs on 2 hits and 3 walks in 0.2 innings pitched. He did register 2 strikeouts, but this seems to just be rust from not having pitched too much in a while. Conner Lien collected almost half of the GCL Braves' hits on the afternoon, going 3-4 and raising his average up to .257. Mike Dodig chipped in with an RBI double, but the young third baseman has struggled so far this season, hitting just .156.
The GCL Braves take on the GCL Tigers again today, probables TBA.