Aaron Northcraft struck out 10 and walked 2 in his no-hitter tonight.
Aaron Northcraft struck out 10 in a 7 inning no-hitter in the second game of a doubleheader, Matt Lipka and Nick Ahmed also had big days for Lynchburg, Jarrett Miller had a great start for Rome, and Jose Peraza had another great day in the GCL.
Gwinnett Braves 2, Syracuse Chiefs 6
- Jose Constanza LF 2-5, 2B, .287 AVG
- Felix Pie RF 1-3, RBI, BB, SB (7), .281 AVG
- Ruben Gotay 3B 2-4, .167 AVG
- Yohan Flande 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 3.87 ERA
Jose Constanza had a pair of hits, including a double, and in his last 6 games, he's gone 9-27 with 2 walks. Felix Pie reached base twice and swiped his seventh bag of the season. He extended his hitting streak to 6 games, going 8-20 with a triple, 3 RBI, a walk, and 4 steals in that span. Ruben Gotay had 2 hits for the second straight night, making him 5-12 in his last 3 games. Yohan Flande took the loss, despite making a quality start, allowing 2 earned runs over 6 innings. In his last 3 starts, he has a 2.65 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP in 17 innings.
Julio Teheran will face the Chiefs Saturday night.
Mississippi Braves 0, Birmingham Barons 3
- Phil Gosselin 2B 1-3, 2B, BB, E (10), .260 AVG
- Tim Smith DH 2-4, .321 AVG
- Gary Moran 7 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 3.16 ERA
- Mark Lamm 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 3.18 ERA
Gary Moran took the loss despite pitching well, allowing 3 runs, 2 earned, over 7 innings. Tim Smith had a pair of singles, extending his hitting streaks to 6 games. During that span, he's gone 9-25 with 4 RBI. Phil Gosselin had a double and a walk, making him 2-7 with 2 doubles, 2 walks, and a RBI in his his last 2 games after going 0-12 in the previous 3 games. Todd Cunningham and Keenan Wiley both went hitless ending their hitting streaks.
Zeke Spruill will take on the Barons tomorrow.
Lynchburg Hillcats 4, Salem Red Sox 3, 11 innings, Game 1
- Matt Lipka CF 3-5, .272 AVG
- Nick Ahmed SS 4-4, 2 2B, 3B, RBI, .272 AVG
- Myke Jones LF 2-5, 2 2B, .238 AVG
- Chris Masters 6 IP, 3 ER, 4 H, 4 BB, 3 K, 6.19 ERA
- Cole McCurry 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ryne Harper 2.1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 0.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, W (3), 1.53 ERA
The Hillcats and Red Sox were only scheduled to play 7 innings in this one, but it took 11 to determine a winner, with Matt Weaver singling in Myke Jones for the walkoff win. Jones had 2 doubles in the game after only having 3 in his first 37 games with Lynchburg. Chris Masters made his third start with the HIllcats, and it was his best one, a quality start that saw him allow 3 earned runs in 6 innings, though he did allow 4 walks. Cole McCurry made his debut in the Braves organization after being purchased from the Orioles, allowing just 1 walk in 2 scoreless innings. Ryne Harper struck out 2 in 2.1 scoreless innings, and he's now thrown 7.1 scoreless in 4 appearances with Lynchburg. Chasen Shreve picked up the win with his 10th straight scoreless appearnce. The 21 year old lefty has struck out 15 over 14.1 innings in that span. Nick Ahmed went 4-4 with a pair of doubles and a triple to extend his hitting streak to 14 games. During that span, he's gone 21-58 with 7 doubles, 3 triples, 2 homers, 9 RBI, and 2 steals.
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Salem Red Sox 0, Game 2
- Matt Lipka CF 1-3, RBI, SB (12), .273 AVG
- Tommy La Stella DH 1-3, HR (5), RBI, .270 AVG
- Chad Comer C 1-2, 2B, .189 AVG
- Aaron Northcraft 7 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB, 10 K, W (7), 3.38 ERA
Aaron Northcraft pitched a no-hitter, allowing just 2 walks and striking out 10 over 7 innings. The 22 year old righthander is now tied for second in the league with 7 wins and 78 strikeouts. June has been very good for him, as he's allowed a 1.04 ERA and a 0.88 WHIP in 26 innings over 4 starts. Matt Lipka combined to go 4-8 with a RBI and a stolen base in the double header. Tommy La Stella hit his fifth homer of the year and his first in June, combining to drive in 3 runs in the doubleheader. Chad Comer snapped a 0-10 slump in his last 3 games with a double. Nick Ahmed went hitless in the second game, ending his 14 game hitting streak, though he did steal his 21st base of the season, good for second in the league.
Rome Braves 4, Asheville Tourists 2
- Tony Mueller PR-LF 2-3, 2B, RBI, SB (15), .266 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger LF-1B 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI, E (3), .243 AVG
- Chase Anselment RF 1-4, .143 AVG
- Jarrett Miller 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 6 K, W (4), 4.08 ERA
- Ronan Pacheco 2 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- John Cornely 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, SV (4), 4.45 ERA
Jarrett Miller made his second start of the year, and it was a great one, as he struck out 6 and allowed just 1 earned run over 6 innings. It was a nice comeback for him after allowing 4 earned runs in 3.2 innings his last time out. Ronan Pacheco allowed a 7.82 ERA, a 2.72 WHIP, 14.9 H/9, and 9.6 BB/9 in 25.1 innings for Lynchburg, which led to his demotion to Rome. He pitched well in his first game with his old team, allowing 1 unearned run in 2 innings. John Cornely picked up the save for the second straight night, and he's struck out 2 in 2.1 innings over those 2 appearances. Tony Mueller had a pair of hits, including a double, drove in a run, and stole his 15th base of the season. In his last 6 games, the 22 year old has gone 8-25 with a double, 4 RBI, and 2 steals. Robby Hefflinger drove in 3 runs with a fifth inning double, making him 8-24 with 3 doubles and 4 RBI in his last 6 games. Chase Anselment singled for the first hit of his professional career.
Danville Braves 9, Bristol White Sox 8
- Levi Hyams 2B 1-4, HR (1), 3 RBI, BB, .182 AVG
- Josh Elander C 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB, .400 AVG
- Aris Alcantara 1B 2-4, 2 RBI, BB, SB (2), .400 AVG
- Edison Sanchez LF 2-4, HR (1), 2 RBI, .273 AVG
- Kurt Fleming CF 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, OF Assist, .200 AVG
- Rafael Briceno 5.1 IP, 8 R, 7 ER, 10 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 11.81 ERA
- Charlie Robertson 1.2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.45 ERA
- Nathan Hyatt 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Alex Wilson 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
Levi Hyams drove in 3 runs and hit the first homer of his career, giving him 5 RBI in 3 games this season. Aris Alcantara had 2 hits and a steal for the second straight day, making him 4-7 with 4 RBI in those 2 games. Edison Sanchez hit his first homer of the year, and he's back in Danville making the transition from first base to left field. Kurt Fleming reached base 3 times and threw out a runner at home from center field. Rafael Briceno was awful for Rome this year, posting a 6.55 ERA, a 1.69 WHIP, and 12.7 H/9 in 67.1 innings. Things didn't get much better for the 21 year old Venezuelan in his first start with Danville, as he allowed 8 runs, 7 earned, in 5.1 innings of work. Nathan Hyatt, the Braves 13th round selection this year, picked up the win in his professional debut, striking out 3 in a perfect inning of work. Alex Wilson picked up the first save of his career, and he now has 3 strikeouts in 2 scoreless innings over 2 games.
GCL Braves 7, GCL Pirates 14
- Jose Peraza SS 4-5, 3B, 2 SB (5, 6), .429 AVG
- Cody Livesay CF 2-4, RBI, BB, .364 AVG
- Hector Garcia DH 2-5, 2 RBI, .214 AVG
- Chad Rodgers 0.1 IP, 4 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 27.00 ERA
- Jaden Dillon 3 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 3.00 ERA
Jose Peraza was the top player for the Braves in the DSL last year, and he's working on earning the same honor in the GCL this year, rapping out 4 hits, including a triple, and stealing 2 bases for the second straight day. In his last 2 games, the 18 year old Venezuelan has gone 7-9 with a walk and 4 steals. Cody Livesay reached base 3 times today, and the 2011 42nd rounder has recorded a hit in all 3 games he's played in this year. Hector Garcia had his first multi-hit game of the season, and he's driven in 5 runs in his last 2 games. Chad Rodgers' recovery from Tommy John surgery hit a snag today, as he allowed 4 earned runs and only recorded a single out. Jaden Dillon, the Braves 29th round pick this year, made his professional debut, allowing 1 earned run over 3 innings, striking out 3.