- Ernesto Mejia 1B 2-5, 2B, .312 AVG
- Ruben Gotay 3B 2-4, HR (1), 2 RBI, .132 AVG
- Todd Redmond 6 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 9 K, 3.40 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 1.41 ERA
- Dusty Hughes 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 3.16 ERA
Todd Redmond spent the week in Atlanta's bullpen, but he didn't get to make his Major League debut, and he took a loss today in his return to AAA, allowing 4 runs over 6 innings, though he did manage 9 strikeouts. June has been tough for the righty, as he's posted a 5.94 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP in 16.2 innings over 3 starts this month. Cory Gearrin struck out 3 in 2 scoreless innings, and he hasn't allowed an earned run in 5.2 innings over 3 appearances since returning from a 2 appearance stint in Atlanta. Dusty Hughes got his season off to a great start, with a 0.71 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP in 12.2 innings in April, then stumbled in May, posting a 9.72 ERA and a 2.64 WHIP in 8.1 innings, but has turned things around in June, with a 0.87 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP in 10.1 innings so far this month. Ernesto Mejia had a 2 hit day, making him 5-14 with 2 doubles and a homer in his last 4 games. Ruben Gotay hit his first homer of the year, and he's 3-8 in his last 2 games, after going 2-30 in his first 10 games with Gwinnett.
Gwinnett will head to Syracuse, where Yohan Flande will take on the Chiefs in the opener.
Mississippi Braves 10, Birmingham Barons 7
- Keenan Wiley RF 2-5, .279 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 1B 2-5, 2 RBI, .333 AVG
- Todd Cunningham CF 1-5, 3B, 3 RBI, .323 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 2-2, RBI, .271 AVG
- Christian Bethancourt C 2-5, .260 AVG
- Ian Gac DH 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, BB, .245 AVG
- Jason Christian SS 2-4, .500 AVG
- Luis Avilan 6 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 5 K, W (2), 3.15 ERA
- Andrew Russell 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.37 ERA
Todd Cunningham had a bases loaded triple that extended his hitting streak to 16 games. During that span, he's gone 23-64, that's a .359 average, rapped out 4 doubles, a triple, driven in 10 runs, and stolen 3 bases. He's only walked twice during that span, but when you're that hot it's hard to not take your swings. Keenan Wiley had a pair of hits to extend his own streak to 11 games. During that span, he's gone 15-46 with a a double, a triple, 4 RBI, and 3 walks. Christian Betancourt had a great day, going 2-5 at the plate, making him 9-26 in his last 6 games, and being selected to play in the XM Futures Game for the World Team the Sunday before the All-Star game in Kansas City. Joey Terdoslavich also had a 2 hit day, driving in a pair of runs as well. In his last 5 games, he's gone 9-18 with 3 doubles and 7 RBI. Joe Leonard went 2-2, making him 4-5 with a double and 2 RBI in his last 2 games. Ian Gac walked and rapped out a pair of doubles, and he's hitting .296 with a 1.070 OPS, 2 doubles, 3 homers, and 9 RBI in his last 10 games. Jason Christian had a pair of singles in his first game in the Braves organization after the team purchased him from the Reds. Luis Avilan picked up the win, allowing 2 earned runs over 6 innings while striking out 5. Over his last 10 appearances, he has a 2.79 ERA and a 0.98 WHIP in 38.2 innings.
Gary Moran will face the Barons tomorrow.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Postpones, Rain
The Hillcats and Salem Red Sox will play a doubleheader on Friday, with Chris Masters and Aaron Northcraft scheduled to start.
Rome Braves 7, Asheville Tourists 3
- Ross Heffley 2B 2-5, 2 RBI, .400 AVG
- Kyle Kubitza 3B 2-4, BB, .252 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger LF 2-4, .243 AVG
- William Beckwith 1B 2-4, 2 RBI, .300 AVG
- Chase Anselment DH 0-3, .000 AVG
- Cory Brownsten C 2-3, 2B, .160 AVG
- Greg Ross 5.2 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 K, W (1), 5.69 ERA
- Ian Thomas 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 4.20 ERA
- John Cornely 1.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (3), 4.61 ERA
Ross Heffley, the Braves 18th round selection in this year's draft, got his career off to a great start, going 2-5 and driving in a pair of runs. Chase Anselment, picked the round before Heffley, didn't fare quite as well in his pro debut, going hitless in 3 at bats. Kyle Kubitza reached base 3 times, making him 5-12 with 2 walks in his last 3 games. Robby Hefflinger had a pair of hits, and he's 6-16 with 2 doubles, a RBI, and a walk in his last 4 games. William Beckwith drove in a pair of runs, and had a pair of hits, extending his hitting streak to 5 games, going 7-19 with a double, 2 homers, and 5 RBI in that span. Cory Brownsten snapped a 0-13 skid in his last 4 games with a 2 hit day that included a double. Greg Ross picked up his first win of the year, allowing 3 runs, 2 earned runs, over 5.2 innings.
Danville Braves 2, Elizabethton Twins 7
- Aris Alcantra 1B 2-3, HR (1), 2 RBI, BB, SB (1), .333 AVG
- Frank Lafreniere 5 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 1.80 ERA
- Jeremy Fitzgerald 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Aris Alcantra hit his first homer of the year and stole his first base. The 22 year old Dominican hit .258 with a .719 OPS in the GCL last season. Frank Lafreniere, who had a 3.51 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP last season in the GCL, walking just 6 in 66.2 innings, got his 2012 off to a great start, allowing just 1 run over 5 innings. Jeremy Fitzgerald, this year's 21st round selection, made his pro debut, striking out 2 over 2 scoreless innings.
GCL Braves 5, GCL Phillies 3
- Jose Peraza SS 3-4, RBI, BB, 2 SB (3, 4), .313 AVG
- Hector Garcia RF 1-5, 2B, 3 RBI, .11 AVG
- Joey Menses DH 4-5, 3B, .429 AVG
- Justin Black CF 2-5, .167 AVG
- KC Clabough 2B 3-4, .429 AVG
- Jorge Montenegro 4 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 7 K, 6.35 ERA
- Shae Simmons 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Magdiel Avendano 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 Bb, 0 K, SV (2), 0.00 ERA
Jose Peraza had a great day, as the 18 year old reached base 4 times and swiped a pair of bags. Joey Menses had 4 hits, including a triple, and he's gone 6-14 in 3 games this season. KC Clabough, this year's 28th round pick, had 3 hits, the first of his pro career. 19 year old outfielder, the Braves 4th round pick this year, had the first hits of his pro career as well, going 2-5. Hector Garcia, a childhood friend of Julio Teheran in their native Colombia, had his first hit of the year, a bases loaded double. After allowing 3 earned runs in just 1.2 innings in his first appearance, Jorge Montenegro fared much better in his first start of the year, allowing just 1 earned run over 4 innings. The 21 year old Panamanian righty has 10 strikeouts in 5.2 innings this season. Shae Simmons, the 22nd round pick this year, was perfect in his pro debut, striking out 3 and picking up the win. Magdiel Avendano, a 18 year old Dominican righty, picked up his second save of the year with a perfect inning.
DSL Braves 3, DSL Blue Jays 11
- Johan Camargo 3B 1-2, 2B, BB, .333 AVG
- Victor Reyes DH 1-3, SB (3), .293 AVG
- Alexander de la Cruz C 1-2, .265 AVG
- Iosif Bernal LF 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, .265 AVG
- Richard Paulino 1.1 IP, 6 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 0 K, 10.80 ERA
- Ahmed Caballero 2 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 5.06 ERA
- Enrique Medina 2 IP, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Iosif Bernal had a pair of hits, including a double, and a pair of RBI. The 17 year old Panamanian is hitting .265 with a .880 OPS, 1 homer, and 8 RBI in 34 at bats this year. Johan Camargo, a 18 year old Panamanian, went 1-2 with a double and a walk, and he's hitting .333 with a .817 OPS in 39 at bats. Victor Reyes, a 17 year old Venezuelan, singled and stole his third base of the year. Alexander de la Cruz went 1-2, and the 20 year old Dominican is 4-10 with a triple and 2 RBI in his last 3 games. 18 year old Panamanian righty Ahem Caballero tossed 2 scoreless innings, a nice comeback after allowing 3 earned runs in 2.1 innings over his last 2 appearances. Nicaraguan lefty Enrique Medina, playing in his third year in the DSL, hasn't allowed an earned run in 8 innings over 4 appearances, but he has given up 6 unearned runs.