Tyler Pastornicky and Jose Constanza continued their hot hitting, Carlos Franco had a pair of hits, and Josh Elander did well in his pro debut.
- Jose Constanza CF 2-5, .289 AVG
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 2-5, RBI, SB (3), .280 AVG
- Lance Zawadzki 2B 2-4, RBI, SB (1), .250 AVG
- Eric Junge 4 IP, 5 R, 4 ER, 9 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 4.71 ERA
- Billy Bullock 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Josh Wilson 0.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky had his second straight 2 hit day, and in his last 10 games he's hitting .375 with a .956 OPS, 8 doubles, and 8 RBI. Jose Constanza also had a 2 hit day, and in his last 4 games he's gone 7-19. Lance Zawadzki has gone 3-8 in his last 2 games after going 0-9 in the previous 3. Eric Junge allowed 5 runs, 4 earned, in just 4 innings, continuing a poor June that's seen him allow a 5.96 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP in 22.2 innings over 4 starts. DJ Carrasco joined the team after being signed today and allowed 4 earned runs in 0.2 innings before being replaced on the mound by infielder Josh Wilson, who induced a flyout from the only hitter he faced, stranding 2 runners. Wilson, who began his professional career in 1999, had actually pitched before, tossing 3 innings in 3 games in the Majors, though this was the first time he'd ever pitched in the Minors.
Todd Redmond will rejoin Gwinnett tomorrow for the series finale at noon.
Mississippi Braves, Lynchburg Hillcats, Rome Braves - All-Star Break
Danville Braves 0, Elizabethton Twins 10
- Carlos Franco 3B 2-4, .333 AVG
- Josh Elander DH 1-1, BB, 1.000
- Casey Kalenkosky 1B 2-4, .500 AVG
- Eduardo Castillo 4.1 IP, 7 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 14.54 ERA
- Zach Jadofsky 2.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
- Alex Wilson 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
Josh Elander, the Braves sixth round selection this season, made his professional debut today, and he singled and walked in a pair of at bats. 30th rounder Casey Kalenkosky also made his pro debut, rapping out a pair of singles. Carlos Franco had a pair of hits, and the 20 year old Dominican has now reached base 5 times in 9 plate appearances. Eduardo Castillo, a 21 year old Dominican, who had a 5.17 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP in 54 innings in the GCL last year, got his Danville career off to a rough start, allowing 7 earned runs in just 4.1 innings of work. Zach Jadofsky pitched poorly in the GCL last year, posting a 10.26 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP in 16.2 innings, but he got this year off to a good start, striking out 3 over 2.1 scoreless innings. Alex Wilson, this year's 15th round pick, made his professional debut, tossing a scoreless inning.
GCL Braves 9, GCL Phillies 6
- Cody Livesay DH 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, .286 AVG
- Connor Lien RF 1-3, RBI, BB, .286 AVG
- Carlos Sanchez C 1-2, BB, SB (1), .333 AVG
- Angel Vargas 3B 2-3, 2 SB (1, 2), .667 AVG
- Abraham Espinosa 3.2 IP, 4 R, 3 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 7.36 ERA
- Elvin Garcia 4.1 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 3 K, (1), 2.08 ERA
Angel Vargas, a 24 year old Venezuelan, made his professional debut today, and had a pair of singles and a pair of stolen bases. Cody Livesay was drafted in the 42nd round in 2011, but the 18 year old outfielder didn't make his pro debut until this season, and after today's game he's gone 2-7 with a RBI and 3 walks in 2 games. Abraham Espinosa made his US debut today, allowing 4 runs, 3 earned, in just 3.2 innings of work, though he did strike out 3. The 19 year old was a DSL All-Star last year, posting a 2.15 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP in 58.2 innings. Nicaraguan lefty Elvin Garcia also made his US debut, picking up the win by allowing 1 earned run over 4.1 innings. Last season in the DSL the 22 year old had a 2.37 ERA and a 0.91 WHIP, walking just 3 in 64.2 innings.