Sean Gilmartin, Dimasther Delgado, and Ryan Weber each hurled great games for Mississippi, Lynchburg, and Rome, respectively, while Matt Weaver hit a pair of bombs to lead the Hillcats.
Columbus Clippers 6, Gwinnett Braves 2
- Tyler Pastornicky, SS: 2-4, 2B, RBI, .275
- Jose Constanza, LF: 3-5, .294
- Felix Pie, RF: 2-4, SB(4), .268
- Josh Wilson, 3B: 3-4, 2B, R, SB(5), .252
- Yohan Flande, SP: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 3.95 ERA
- Billy Bullock, RP: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Just like the big league club, Gwinnett out-hit their Sunday opponent but was unable to come up with the win. Yohan Flande pitched six solid - albeit unspectacular - innings for Gwinnett, allowing 3 runs on 7 hits and two walks while only striking out a pair. Billy Bullock made his debut with Gwinnett today, and was extremely wild, but untouchable. Bullock struck out two and walked four in two hitless frames. For the offense, Jose Constanza and Josh Wilson each notched three hit days, with Wilson doubling and stealing his 5th base of the year as well. Tyler Pastornicky kept up his good work out of the 3-hole, going 2 for 4 with an RBI double. Felix Pie also had a two-hit day to go along with his 4th steal.
Jose Lugo goes tomorrow as Gwinnett opens a series with the Indianapolis Indians
Jacksonville Suns 0, Mississippi Braves 5
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B: 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, .326
- Joe Leonard, 3B: 2-3, 2B, 3 R, RBI, BB, SB(6), .265
- Keenan Wiley, RF: 2-3, RBI, R, BB, SB(10), .275
- Jason Christian, SS: 2-4, 2B, R, .500
- Sean Gilmartin, SP: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 3.17 ERA
- Chris Jones, RP: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 4.28 ERA
In what was a theme of the day for the Braves' minor leagues, Sean Gilmartin hurled a gem for Mississippi today. Gilmartin went 6 innings, allowing only 3 hits. He walked two and struck out four while throwing 61 of 94 pitches for strikes. He got 9 groundouts on the day and didn't even allow a flyball out. Joey Terdoslavich kept up his torrid hitting, going 2-3 with a double and 2 RBI. Joe Leonard had a big day as well, with a single, double, walk, steal, and 3 runs scored. Newly-acquired M-Braves shortstop Jason Christian had a big debut, doubling, singling, and scoring a run.
Mississippi is off until Thursday on the All-Star break.
Lynchburg Hillcats 6, Frederick Keys 1
- Matt Weaver, 1B: 3-4, 2 HR(5,6), 4 RBI, .243
- Tommy La Stella, 2B: 1-4, 3B, R, .271
- Edward Salcedo, 3B: 1-4, R, .262
- Matt Lipka, CF: 1-4, BB, .263
- Dimasther Delgado, SP: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3.46 ERA
Lynchburg was basically a two-man wrecking crew today, as Dimasther Delgado and Matt Weaver almost single-handedly defeated the Keys today. Weaver was on fire at the plate, hitting two homers as part of a 3 hit, 4 RBI day. Tommy La Stella had a triple, while Matt Lipka continued to get on base with a single and a walk, but otherwise it was almost all Weaver on offense. Delgado responded by tossing a beauty: 7 innings of 3 hit baseball, giving up only 1 run on a solo homer in the 7th to the Keys' cleanup man. He only struck out 2, so he was a bit lucky, but after scuffling early in the year, Delgado is firmly back on track.
Lynchburg is off until Thursday on their All-Star break.
Savannah Sand Gnats 5, Rome Braves 2
- Will Skinner, RF: 1-4, 2B, R, .263
- William Beckwith, 1B: 1-4, .295
- Elmer Reyes, SS: 1-3, R, RBI, .245
- Tony Mueller, CF: 1-4, RBI, .266
- Ryan Weber, SP: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 5.95 ERA
Three errors from the Rome defense and a continued lack of hitting spoiled a great start by Ryan Weber. Weber went 7 innings, allowing only 1 earned run on 5 hits. He didn't walk a man and struck out 5, easily his best outing on the season. The R-Braves were only able to scrape together a pair of runs on 5 hits and never really threatened in this one. RBI singles from Tony Mueller and Elmer Reyes were all the scoring Rome would get as they were swept in a four game set by the Sand Gnats.
Rome is off until Thursday for their midseason break as well.
The D-Braves open their season Tuesday against the Elizabethton Twins
Gulf Coast League Braves
The GCL Braves open their season tomorrow against the GCL Yankees.
Happy Fathers Day to all you awesome Braves fans!