Nick Ahmed extended his hitting streak to 5 games with a 5 hit day.
Nick Ahmed had a 5 hit day, Tommy La Stella And Ernesto Mejia each extended their hitting streaks to 13 games, Adrelton Simmons hit his second homer in 3 games, and David Filak's horrible start nearly doubled his season ERA.
Gwinnett Braves 13, Rochester Red Wings 8
- Jose Constanza LF 3-5, 2B, .307 AVG
- Stefan Gartrell DH 3-4, 2B, HR (11), 3 RBI, BB, .264 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 2-5, HR (8), 4 RBI, .307 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 3B 2-5, HR (4), 3 RBI, 3 E (17, 18, 19), .193 AVG
- Felix Pie RF 2-4, 3B, .200 AVG
- Eric Junge 1.2 IP, 7 R, 5 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 4.44 ERA
- Buddy Carlyle 1.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, W (3), 1.57 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K, SV (5), 0.98 ERA
Gwinnett produced a ton of offense today, with the team's 3-4-5 hitters, Stefan Gartrell, Ernesto Mejia, and Joey Terdoslavich all homering. Mejia extended his hitting streak to 13 games with his 2 hit day, driving in 4 runs. Gartrell had a 3 hit day, hitting his team leading 11th homer and driving in 3 runs. He's hit 10 of those 11 homers in May, batting .357 with a 1.228 OPS for the month. Joey Terdoslavich snapped a 1-17 skid with a 2 hit day that included his fourth homer of the year, though he had an unfortunate day in the field, committing a pair of fielding errors and missing a catch to give him 3 errors on the day, and 19 errors overall. Over his last 8 games, Jose Constanza had gone 2-25, but he rapped out 3 hits in 5 at bats today. Felix Pie hit his second triple of the season and in his last 3 games, he's gone 4-10. Eric Junge had his worst start of the season, allowing 9 baserunners and 7 runs, 5 earned, without making it out of the second inning. In his last 2 starts, the 35 year old has allowed 10 earned runs in 7.2 innings. Buddy Carlyle made his third straight scoreless appearance, and during that span he's struck out 5 and hasn't allowed a walk in 5.1 innings. Cory Gearrin picked up his fifth save of the year with his fifth straight scoreless appearance. In that span he's allowed just 1 hit, walked 3, and struck out 11 in 9 innings.
Todd Redmond will take on the Red Wings tomorrow.
Mississippi Braves 6, Pensacola Blue Wahoos 5
- Keenan Wiley CF 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, SB (8), .338 AVG
- Andrelton Simmons SS 1-4, HR (2), 2 RBI, BB, E (3), .299 AVG
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-5, 2B, RBI, .258 AVG
Ian Gac 1B 1-2, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, SB (1), .239 AVG
- Alden Carrithers LF 2-4, BB, SB (1), OF Assist, .280 AVG
- Barrett Kleinknecht PH 1-1, 2B, RBI, .193 AVG
- Luis Avilan 4 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 2.22 ERA
- Chris Masters 1.2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 4 K, 3.60 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, W (2), 1.74 ERA
- Mark Lamm 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 K, SV (6), 2.53 ERA
Barrett Kleinknecht's pinch hit RBI double put the M-Braves ahead in the top of the ninth and Mark Lamm slammed the door in the bottom of the ninth, collecting his sixth save of the year. Andrelton Simmons didn't hit 2 home runs all last season, but he's hit 2 in his last 3 games. During that span, he's gone 6-13 and added a pair of doubles and 4 RBI. Phil Gosselin had a pair of hits, including a double, and in his last 5 games, he's gone 6-20 with a double and 3 RBI. Ian Gac had a pair of walks and a RBI double, and in his last 3 games, he's gone 3-8 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, and 4 walks. Keenan Wiley did a great job leading off tonight, reaching base 3 times, on a pair of walks and a single, and stealing his eighth base of the season. Luis Avilan made his first start in over a month, tossing 4 shutout innings. He hasn't allowed a run in his last 5 appearances, striking out 15 over 12.2 innings in that span. Chris Masters struck out 4 of the seven batters he faced, but unfortunately he allowed both of the runners he inherited to score. Still, he's thrived since moving into the bullpen, with a 0.93 ERA, a 0.93 WHIP, and 14.9 K/9 in 9.2 innings over 6 appearances. Ryan Bucther picked up his second win of the year, striking out 2 in a perfect inning. Over his last 10 appearances, the lefty has a 0.69 ERA, a 0.85 WHIP, and 11.1 K/9 in 13 innings.
Sean Gilmartin will start for Mississippi Saturday night.
Lynchburg Hillcats 8, Potomac Nationals 11
- Myke Jones CF 3-6, 2 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, .233 AVG
- Nick Ahmed SS 5-6, 2 2B, RBI, .282 AVG
- Tommy La Stella DH 1-4, 2 RBI, BB, SAC, .297 AVG
- Chris Garcia 1B 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB, SF, E (4), .336 AVG
- Matt Weaver 3B-2B 2-5, RBI, .242 AVG
- Cody Martin 3.1 IP, 7 R, 4 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 3.78 ERA
- Caleb Brewer 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 3.68 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.38 ERA
Nick Ahmed had a career day at the plate, rapping out a pair of doubles as part of a 5 hit effort. During his current 5 game hitting streak, he's gone 11-23 with 3 doubles, 5 RBI, and 2 stolen bases. Tommy La Stella drove in a pair of runs and extended his hitting streak to 13 games. After going 3-27 in his last 8 games, Myke Jones went 3-6 today with a pair of doubles and a pair of RBI. Chris Garcia had a RBI double and a walk today, and in his last 2 games, he's gone 4-8 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. Cody Martin had a rough day, allowing 7 runs, 4 earned, in just 3.1 innings. In his last 3 starts, he's allowed 12 earned runs in 14.2 innings.
Gus Schlosser will face the P-Nats tomorrow.
Rome Braves 1, Asheville Tourists 11
- William Beckwith DH 2-3, 2B, HR (3), RBI, BB, .304 AVG
- Brandon Drury 1B 1-4, .173 AVG
- Will Skinner LF 1-2, .267 AVG
- David Filak 5 IP, 9 ER, 10 H, 2 B, 7 K, 3.42 ERA
- Wilson Rivera 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 4 K, 3.45 ERA
- Ryne Harper 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 2.75 ERA
David Filak had his worst start of the year, allowing 9 earned runs in just 5 innings. The 23 year old righty had only allowed 11 earned runs in 47.2 innings over his first 9 starts, which means his ERA ballooned from 2.08 all the way up to 3.46 just because of today's game. Wilson Rivera struck out 4 in 2 scoreless innings tonight, giving him 22 strikeouts in 15.2 innings this season. Ryne Harper made his fifth straight scoreless appearance, and he's allowed 4 hits, 1 walk, and stuck out 4 in 5.2 innings over that span. William Beckwith his a double and homered for the second straight day. In his last 3 games, he's gone 4-10 with 2 doubles, 2 homers, 3 RBI, and a walk. Brandon Drury had a single today, and in his last 3 games, he's gone 3-9 with a homer and 2 RBI, a major improvement for a guy hitting .173 with a .457 OPS for the season. Will Skinner extended his hitting streak to 6 games, and during that span he's gone 7-14 with 3 doubles, and 2 RBI.
Navery Moore will face the Tourists tomorrow.