Gwinnett's offense was hot, but not hot enough to back Jurrjens' terrible start. Mississippi had the night off, while Schlehuber homered for Lynchburg and Navery Moore turned in a great start with Rome.
Gwinnett Braves 7, Buffalo Bison 14
- Stefan Gartrell, LF: 3-5, 2 2B, HR(8), 2 RBI, .250
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B: 3-5, 2B, 3 RBI, R, .290
- Joey Terdoslavich, 3B: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, 2 E(14,15), .193
- Drew Sutton, 2B: 2-3, 3B, 3 R, 2 BB, .276
- Jair Jurrjens, SP: 4.2 IP, 12 H, 11 R (10 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 5.06 ERA
Jair Jurrjens' poor AAA peripherals finally caught up with up tonight, as he got mercilessly hammered by Buffalo. Jurrjens went 4.2 innings, allowing 11 runs (10 earned) on 12 hits and 2 walks. The bullpen wasn't much better, as all three relievers who appeared behind Jurrjens gave up runs as well. All in all, it was a disaster outing for JJ - not much you can say other than he'll have to move on and learn from it. It's a shame the pitching was so awful, because Gwinnett's 2-5 hitters all turned in fantastic games. Stefan Gartrell continued his hot hitting, going 3-5 with a homer and two doubles. Ernesto Mejia chipped in with 2 singles and a double, while Drew Sutton was on base 4 times including a triple. Joey Terdoslavich even managed a multi-hit day, including his first extra base hit in two weeks. Maybe he can build off this and hopefully get his bat going.
Mississippi Braves - OFF
Wilmington Blue Rocks 7, Lynchburg Hillcats 5
- Braeden Schlehuber, C: 2-3, HR(5), 3 RBI, .289
- Robby Hefflinger, RF: 1-3, 2 R, RBI, BB, .223
- Tommy La Stella, 2B: 1-3, R, CS(1), .302
- Dimasther Delgado, SP: 4 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 4.50 ERA
- Blaine Sims, RP: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 6.30 ERA
Dimasther Delgado had another rough start this evening, allowing 11 baserunners and 4 runs over 4 innings. He also struck out 2 and brought his ERA up to 4.50. Blaine Sims was stellar in relief however, tossing 3 hitless innings with only one walk and 2 strikeouts. Almost all of Lynchburg's offense came by way of catcher Braeden Schlehuber's
5th homer of the year, a three run shot.
J.R. Graham looks to improve on his perfect 4-0 record tomorrow for the Hillcats.
Rome Braves 4, Augusta GreenJackets 3
- Brandon Drury, 1B: 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI, .170
- Tony Mueller, CF: 0-2, R, 2 BB, SB(8), .244
- Navery Moore, SP: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 6 K, 3.63 ERA
- Ryne Harper, RP: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3.06 ERA
Despite the score, Rome's offense wasn't exactly great tonight, managing only 3 hits on the evening. Most of the damage came in the first inning. Second baseman Fernando De Los Santos singled, then after Tony Mueller and Will Skinner walked, Brandon Drury clubbed a bases-clearing double. Drury's 3 RBIs would be all Navery Moore would need, as he threw 5.1 innings of 3 hit ball, allowing only 1 run while walking 3 and punching out a half dozen. Ryne Harper slammed the door with a 2 strikeout ninth inning for his second save of the year.
A.J. Holland takes the mound tomorrow, looking for his second win of the year.