Tim Hudson took his first step on the comeback trail, tossing 3 innings for Rome.
Gwinnett Braves 5, Durham Bulls 6
- Luis Durango CF 2-5, 3B, 2 RBI, SB (2), .313 AVG
- Drew Sutton 2B 2-3, 3B, RBI, BB, .286 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia DH 2-5, RBI, .333 AVG
- Julio Teheran 1.2 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 16.20 ERA
- Jason Rice 2.1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
Gwinnett led 5-4 going into the bottom of the ninth, but reliever Jaye Chapman blew the save, allowing 2 Durham runs to score. Julio Teheran had a rough start to his season, failing to make it out of the second inning after allowing 3 runs in that frame. Jason Rice left the game on Thursday after he was struck in the calf with a batted ball, but he came back strong tonight, tossing 2.1 scoreless innings. Luis Durango stayed hot, with a 2 hit night that included a stolen base.
Eric Junge will make his Braves debut Sunday in the series finale.
Mississippi Braves 0, Mobile Bay Bears 1
- Christian Bethancourt C 2-4, .167 AVG
- Sean Gilmartin 6 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
Unfortunately, the M-Braves couldn't get any offense going and wasted a fine start from Sean Gilmartin, who tossed 6 shutout frames, allowing just 2 hits. After going 0-8 in the first 2 games, Christian Bethancourt picked up his first AA hits tonight.
Righty David Hale will make his AA debut tomorrow afternoon against the Bay Bears.
Lynchburg Hillcats 7, Potomac Nationals 2
- Matt Lipka CF 2-5, 3B, OF Assist, .333 AVG
- Tommy La Stella 2B 1-3, BB, RBI, .500 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 3-4, SB (1), .500 AVG
- David Rohm RF 1-4, 3B, 2 RBI, .250 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger LF 1-4, HR (2), RBI, .429 AVG
- Ronan Pacheco 4 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 3 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Robby Hefflinger hit his second homer in as many days, putting him on pace for 144 on the season. Edward Salcedo broke out with a 3 hit day that included a stolen base. Matt Lipka had a pair of hits, including a triple, and showed his skill at his new position, throwing a runner out at home from centerfield. Ronan Pacheco got his season off to a great start, shutting out the P-Nats over 4 innings, though he did walk 3.
JR Graham, making the jump from Rookie level Danville to High A, will make his HIllcats debut tomorrow.
Rome Braves 1, Charelston River Dogs 2
- Elmer Reyes SS 1-4, 2B, E (1), .125 AVG
- Chase Larsson CF 1-2, BB, OF Assist, .200 AVG
- Tim Hudson 3 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 0 K, 3.00 ERA
- Navery Moore 3 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
- Greg Ross 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
Tim Hudson made his first rehab start, and while he may have taken the loss, he got his work in, tossing 38 pitches over 3 innings without any problems or complications. Navery Moore came on in relief of him, making his professional debut (because the AFL doesn't count), and struck out 4 over 3 scoreless innings. Greg Ross was also good in relief, striking out 4 over 2 scoreless. Chase Larsson, known as a slugging leftfielder, played centerfield tonight, a position he played 11 times last season for Danville, and threw a runner out at home. He also added a single and a walk at the plate.
Tomorrow afternoon, AJ Holland will make his Rome deubt against the River Dogs.