Despite a number of solid performances, Gwinnett lost in extra innings, while Mississippi had trouble getting their bats going against Diamondbacks top prospect Trevor Bauer and rain ruined Rome's opening day.
Gwinnett Braves 3, Durham Bulls 4, 12 innings
- Luis Durango CF 3-6, 2B, SB (1), .500 AVG
- Stefan Gartrell LF 2-5, 2B, RBI, BB, E (1), .400 AVG
- Ernesto Meia 1B 2-5, RBI, BB, SB (1), .400 AVG
- JC Boscan C 2-5, HR (1), RBI, E (1), .400 AVG
- Todd Redmond 4 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 2.25 ERA
Yohan Flande 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
- Jaye Chapman 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 2 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
The G-Braves weren't content with only 9 innings on opening day, using 8 relievers in a 12 inning loss, with the final run scoring on an error by shortstop Greg Paiml. Luis Durango had a nice carryover from his great Spring Training, with a 3 hit day out of the leadoff spot. JC Boscan didn't hit a home run in 2011, but started off 2012 by hitting a go-ahead 12th inning homer. Ernesto Mejia, making his AAA debut in his 9th season of professional ball, had a 2 hit day, and the lumbering first baseman even stole a base. Joey Terdoslavich had a rough AAA debut, going 0-5 and striking out 4 times. Todd Redmond began his 4th season in Gwinnett with a nice, but short start, allowing 2 runs, 1 earned, over 4 innings while striking out 5. Yohan Flande and Cory Gearrin, pitchers who thought they had made Atlanta's opening day roster, combined for 3 shutout innings.
Erik Cordier will make his 2012 debut against the Bulls tomorrow.
Mississippi Braves 2, Mobile BayBears 5
- Ian Gac 1B 1-2, HR (1), RBI, 2 BB, .500 AVG
- Barrett Kleinknecht SS 2-4, SB (1), .500
- Luis Avilan 4 IP, 3 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 6.75 ERA
- Andrew Russell 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 0.00 ERA
- Cory Rasmus 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
Veteran slugger Ian Gac, last year's Carolina League home run leader making his AA debut in his 9th season, had a great debut with his new organization, hitting a homer and taking two walks. Barrett Kleinknecht also had a nice AA debut, with a pair of singles. Prospects Myke Jones, Phil Gosselin, Adam Milligan, and Christian Bethancourt combined to go 0-17 with a walk and 7 strikeouts. Luis Avilan had a shaky season debut, allowing 3 runs over 4 innings.
Tomorrow Zeke Spruill will take on the BayBears.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Off
The Hillcats will start their season tomorrow at home against the Potomac Nationals.
Rome Braves - Suspended
Shortstop Elmer Reyes led off the game with a triple, then scored as part of a double steal with left fielder Edison Sanchez, but rain forced the game's suspension in the bottom of the first. The game will be resumed tomorrow, then be followed by Friday's regularly scheduled game.