Tommy La Stella had a two hit day in his return from a minor back injury.
Gwinnett Braves - Off
Tim Hudson is scheduled to make his 4th rehab start Tuesday against the Charlotte Knights.
Mississippi Braves 2, Birmingham Barons 7
- Andrelton Simmons SS 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, .268 AVG
- Phil Gosselin 2B 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, .279 AVG
- Barrett Kleinknecht 3B 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, .159 AVG
- David Hale 5.2 IP, 7 ER, 9 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 5.75 ERA
- Richard Sullivan 2.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 7.00 ERA
In his last 2 starts, David Hale struck out 11 over 13 innings, allowing just 1 unearned run, but tonight he allowed 7 earned runs in 5.2 innings, picking up his second loss of the year. Hale's entire career has been marked by inconsistencies, by wild hot and cold streaks, and if he's ever to harness his immense potential he's going to have to find a way to be more consistent with his results. Richard Sullivan had his first scoreless appearance this season, striking out 3 over 2.1 innings after allowing 7 earned runs in his first 7 innings. Andrelton Simmons had his second straight 2 hit day, and after suffering through a 1-21 stretch, he's gone 5-13 with 2 doubles, 5 RBI and a walk in his last 3 games.
Chris Master will take on the Barons tomorrow.
Lynchburg Hillcats 4, Carolina Mudcats 5
- Tommy La Stella 2-4, 2B, BB, SB (3), .359 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 2-5, RBI, .322 AVG
- Chris Garcia 1B 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, .300 AVG
- Ryan Query DH 2-4, 2B, HR (1), 2 RBI, BB, .400 AVG
- Cody Martin 4.1 IP, 5 ER, 7 H, 6 BB, 6 K, 4.11 ERA
- Andrew Wilson 2.2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 3.72 ERA
- Ryan Weber 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.25 ERA
Tommy La Stella had a nice return after missing a few days with a minor back twinge, and a few days of rainouts, with a 2 hit day that included a double and his 3rd stolen base of the season. Edward Salcedo drove in a run as part of a 2 hit day, and in his last 7 games he's gone 11-31 with 4 doubles, 2 homers, and 6 RBI. Ryan Query had just 1 at bat coming into today, but made the most of his start, with a double, a homer, and a walk. The 24 year old catcher, who left a job as a college coach to sign with the Braves as a Minor League free agent, has a .250 average and a .773 OPS in only 218 plate appearances is just over 2 years as a pro. Cody Martin only allowed 3 walks in 10 innings in his first 2 starts, but today he allowed 6 in 4.1 innings, giving up 5 earned runs in the process. He also managed to strike out 6, giving him 20 whiffs in 15.1 innings this season.
Gus Schlosser is scheduled to start against the Mudcats on Tuesday.
Rome Braves - Off
AJ Holland is scheduled to start on Tuesday as the R-Braves begin a series against the Hagerstown Suns.