What's wrong with Julio Teheran? Nothing. Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE
Gwinnett Braves 7, Durham Bulls 1
- Luis Durango CF 1-4, BB, RBI, 2 SB (5, 6), .300 AVG
- Jose Constanza LF 1-3, 3B, 2RBI, .571 AVG
- Drew Sutton 2B 2-3, RBI, SB (1), .190 AVG
- Jordan Parraz RF 2-4, .290 AVG
- Julio Teheran 5 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, W (1), 4.05 ERA
- Jaye Chapman 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 3.38 ERA
Things couldn't have gone much better for the G-Braves in their home opener, as Julio Teheran tossed 5 shutout innings and his offense scored 7 runs to seal an easy win. Teheran struck out 4 and picked off two runners, earning his first victory of the year. Luis Durango extended his hitting streak to 6 games, going 9-29 with a triple, 3 walks, 5 RBI, and 5 stolen bases in that span. Jose Constanza drove in 2 runs with a 6th inning triple, giving him 6 RBI in 2 games with Gwinnett. Joey Terdoslavich went 1-4, extending his hitting streak to 5 games, going 6-18 with a double, a homer, 4 walks, and 2 RBI in that span.
Eric Junge takes the hill tomorrow night for Gwinnett.
Mississippi Braves 2, Montgomery Biscuits 3
- Andrelton Simmons SS 1-3, .300 AVG
- Joe Leonard 1B 2-3, 2B, BB, RBI, .333 AVG
- Sean Gilmartin 6 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1.50 ERA
- Billy Bullock 2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 1.69 ERA
- Cory Rasmus 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Sean Gilmartin had a decent start, allowing 3 runs, 2 earned, over 6 innings, though he was a little wild, walking 3. Billy Bullock tossed 2 scoreless innings in relief, giving him 5.1 scoreless over 3 appearances on the season. Cory Rasmus made his fourth straight scoreless appearance to start the year, covering 4 total innings. Joe Leonard had a 2 hit day, including a double and a walk, continuing his fine start to the season, and he also played first base for the first time in his professional career.
David Hale will face off against the Biscuits tomorrow.
Lynchburg Hillcats 8, Salem Red Sox 10, 10 innings
- Nick Ahmed SS 3-6, 2 SB (3, 4), .320 AVG
- Tommy La Stella 2B 1-4, BB, SB (1), .368 AVG
- Evan Gattis DH 2-4, 2B, HR (1), 4 RBI, .400 AVG
- Chris Garcia 1B 2-3, 2B, 2 BB, RBI, .353 AVG
- Robby Hefflinger LF 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, .476 AVG
- Braeden Schlehuber C 2-5, HR (2), 2 RBI, .400 AVG
- Gus Schlosser 5 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 3.46 ERA
The Hillcats lost their first game of the season, but it wasn't because of their offense, as relievers Matt Chaffee, and Ryan Weber allowed 6 runs in the 9th and 10th innings. Robby Hefflinger has collected a hit in all 6 games, rapping out 2 doubles tonight, making him 10-21 with 6 doubles, 2 homers and RBI on the year. Nick Ahmed had 3 singles and 2 steals today, making him 6-14 with a double, a RBI and 3 steals in his last 3 games. Evan Gattis doubled and homered, his first of the year, driving in 4 runs. He has a 5 game hitting streak, going 8-17 with 2 doubles, a homer, 2 walks, and 6 RBI in that span. Chris Garcia had his third straight 2 hit day, going 6-11 with 2 doubles, 2 walks, and 3 RBI in those games. Braeden Schlehuber hit his second homer of the season, driving in 2 runs to give him 6 RBI on the year. Gus Schlosser allowed 3 runs over 5 innings, but managed not to walk anyone as he struck out 3.
Ronan Pacheco will make his second start of the year tomorrow night.
Rome Braves 3, Charelston River Dogs 9
- Kyle Kubitza 3B 2-4, HR (2), RBI, .174 AVG
- William Beckwith DH 1-3, 2B, RBI, .200 AVG
- Edison Sanchez LF 1-3, 2B, BB, RBI, .111 AVG
- Tim Hudson 4 IP, 5 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 7.71 ERA
- Cole Rohrbough 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
There was plenty of fanfare for Rome's 10th season opener, with Tim Hudson making a rehab start for the team, but unfortunately the River Dogs were all over Hudson, tagging him for 5 runs over 4 innings, beating him for the second time this year. Despite the poor results, Hudson said he felt good and feels he's right on track with his rehab. On the bright side, Cole Rohrbough's 2nd appearance was as good as his first, as he struck out 2 over a perfect inning. Kyle Kubitza homered for the second straight night, making him 4-12 with a double, 2 homers and 2 RBI in his last 3 games. William Beckwith doubled for the second straight night, making him 3-7 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI in those games. After starting the year 0-19, Brandon Drury finally picked up his first hit of the year, making him 1-23 on the season.
AJ Holland will pitch tomorrow for Rome.