Andrelton Simmons picked up a pair of hits and a stolen base in his season debut for AA Mississippi. Credit: Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE
Andrelton Simmons sizzled in his season debut with Mississippi, Gwinnett nearly had a no-hitter, despite Joey Terdoslavich's defensive struggles, and Rome's offensive woes continued.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Norfolk Tides 0
- Luis Durango CF 2-4, BB, SB (3), .320 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 3B 1-3, BB, 3 E (3), .167 AVG
- Greg Paiml SS 2-4, .250 AVG
- Yohan Flande 3 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
- Buddy Carlyle 3 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB, 1 K, W (1), 0.00 ERA
- Adam Russell 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
Yohan Flande, Buddy Carlyle, and Adam Russell combined for 7 innings of no-hit baseball, but gondeee kept talking about it on Twitter and jinxed it, leading to Cory Gearrin giving up a dying quail single in the 8th. Gearrin did manage to get the 2 inning save, his first of the year. Luis Durango continued his hot streak, reaching 3 times and stealing his third base of the season. Durango has hit safely in 4 of the 5 games he's played in, with 3 of those being multi-hit games. Joey Terdoslavich reached base twice, but he was picked off one of those times and also committed 3 throwing errors in the game. His throws were sailing to the left, a mechanical problem he's going to have to correct as the season goes on.
Todd Redmond will make his second start of the season tomorrow against the Tides.
Mississippi Braves4, Mobile Bay Bears 2
- Andrelton Simmons SS 2-4, SB (1), .500 AVG
- Ian Gac 1B 2-4, .294 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 1-3, BB, .350 AVG
- Adam Milligan RF 2-3, RBI, .167 AVG
- Brahiam Maldonado LF 2-4, .200 AVG
- Chris Masters 4.1 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 5 BB, 3 K, 4.15 ERA
- Andrew Russell 2.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K, W (1), 11.57 ERA
Andrelton Simmons made his season debut, picking up a pair of hits and stealing a bag. Joe Leonard extended his hitting streak to 5 games, making him 7-20 with 2 doubles on the season. After starting the year 0-11, Adam Milligan is 3-7 in the last 2 games. Chris Masters struggled with his control, as 39 of his 82 pitches went for balls, leading to 5 walks. Andrew Russell came in with the bases loaded in the 5th, induced a double play to end the inning. The 27 year old Australian tossed 2.1 scoreless innings, giving him 3.2 scoreless over 3 appearances this season.
Luis Avilan will make his second start of the year as the M-Braves begin a series against the Montgomery Biscuits.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Off
Lynchburg begins a series against the Salem Red Sox on Tuesday, with Aaron Northcraft scheduled to make the start.
Rome Braves 0, Savannah Sand Gnats 1, 12 innings
- Felix Marte CF 1-4, BB, .100 AVG
- William Beckwith 1B 2-5, .214 AVG
- Carlos Perez 4 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Cole Rohrbough 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ernesto Silva 4 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
Even with 3 extra innings to work with, Rome's offense remained inept, collecting just 5 hits and striking out 17 times while being shut out for the third time in four games. William Beckwith not only had 2 hits, but was also the only Rome hitter to avoid striking out. Carlos Perez, returning to Rome after and up and down 2011, had a great start, tossing 4 shutout innings. Cole Rohrbough, who pitched just 1 inning in the GCL last season, and just 22.2 innings in 2010, tossed a scoreless inning. The now 24 year old lefty, originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Braves in 2006, was considered a top prospect after a 2007 season that saw him post a 1.17 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP in 61.1 innings for Danville and Rome. With his arm troubles behind him, the Braves hope he can turn his promise into production. Ernesto Silva, a 20 year old Panamanian righty, got his season off to a great start, tossing 4 shutout innings.
Rafael Briceno will make his Rome debut against the Sand Gnats tomorrow.