A winning night from most of the affiliates with only the DSL and Rome taking losses. Offense was on display in Lynchburg and Danville. Andrelton Simmons and Todd Cunningham both had sexy games and William Beckwith launched the D-Braves into first place with a walk off homer in the 12th inning. Todd Redmond has quietly been one of the best pitchers in AAA this season and tonight he had one of his best games.
Gwinnett Braves 3, Scranton/WB 1
- Matt Young, CF 2-5, 2B, K, .267 Avg
- Tyler Pastornicky, SS 0-3, BB, K, SB(6), .392 Avg
- Brandon Hicks, 3B 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K, .261 Avg
- Todd Redmond 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 10 K, 2.91 Avg
Todd Redmond picked up his eighth win of the season with one of his best outings of the year. Redmond has been the model of consistency this season as he has allowed more than three runs just three times this season. Pastornicky didn't pick up a hit tonight which ended his 12 game hitting streak but he did get on base and he picked up another steal.
Carolina Mudcats 3, Mississippi Braves 7
- Mycal Jones, CF 0-3, RBI, BB, 2 SB(8), .238 Avg
- Aaron Schafer 2-3, 2B, K, 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R(0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4.22 ERA
- JJ Hoover 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.66 ERA
A bit of a ho-hum seven runs for the Braves in this one with only player - Aaron Schafer the pitcher - collecting more than one hit or an extra base hit. Schafer pitched solidly in his second AA start though errors led to him surrendering three unearned runs. Hoover continues to look impressive in the bullpen, though chances of him coming to Atlanta this season are looking slim since Varavaro has been pitching well.
Kinston Indians 6, Lynchburg Hillcats 11
- Todd Cunningham, CF 1-2, 2B, RBI, 3 BB, .289 Avg
- Andrelton Simmons, SS 3-5, 3B, 7 RBI, SB(18), .300 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B 1-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K, .281 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt, C 1-5, RBI, 2 K, SB(2), .240 Avg
- Elier Cardenas 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 0.81 ERA
I am starting to get a little excited about Todd Cunningham. He was the forgotten man coming into the season even after being our second round draft pick last year. Since coming off the DL he has also flashed some newfound power. He has 18 extra base hits on the season and six of them have come since the start of August. Add in his ability to take walks and steal some bases and you have the makings of a solid center fielder. Andrelton Simmons also had himself a game tonight collecting seven RBI on a three hit night. He also knocked a run across on an error. So he was actually responsible for eight runs on the night.
Rome Braves 3, Augusta GreenJackets 7
- Matt Lipka, SS 1-5, 3B, .239 Avg
- Edward Salcedo, 3B 1-4, BB, K, SB(18), .266 Avg
- Evan Gattis, C 3-4, 2B, HR(18), K, .295 Avg
- Tommy La Stella, DH 2-4, 2B, RBI, .262 Avg
- Cody Martin 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1.74 ERA
Rome got out to an early lead in this one but the offense sputtered out and the pitching gave up seven runs behind some porous defense from Edward Salcedo and Matt Weaver who both committed two errors. I always get excited when I see Evan Gattis racking up hits and then I realize he is 25 in in the Sally League. I am really liking this La Stella kid though. He has flashed some nice power and an excellent eye at the plate. If he gets his batting average up you would see him with .800+ OPS.
Bristol White Sox 3, Danville Braves 5 - 12 Innings
- Brandon Drury, 2B-3B 2-6, K, .330 Avg
- William Beckwith, DH 1-3, HR(7), 3 RBI, 2 BB, .289 Avg
- Adam Holland 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K, 3.24 ERA
This one went into extras with the teams tied at two. The Sox picked up a run in the top of the 12th inning but the Braves rallied in the bottom of the inning and William Beckwith launched a three run homer for the walkoff win. While his average has fallen off a bit, Beckwith has still been collecting extra base hits and walks and has an OPS well north of .950 on the season. The win also propels the Braves into first place in their division.
GCL Braves @ GCL Phillies
Postponed due to torrential rain in the gulf.
DSL Braves 3, DSL Rangers 5
- Jose Peraza, SS 0-3, BB, K, SB(26), .284 Avg
- Robinson Arno, 3B 2-4, 2B, RBI, .235 Avg
The DSL team has a serious lack of offensive firepower with just Emmanuel Daniel and Jose Peraza having anywhere close to above average seasons. Peraza's speed is pretty ridiculous though his 26 steals have him just barely in the top ten in the DSL. Steal numbers are crazy in general in the DSL.