Danville second baseman Elmer Reyes hit for the cycle, Tyler Pastornicky and Edison Sanchez extended their hitting streaks, Joey Teroslavich added some more extra base hits, and Tropical Storm Emily prevented the DSL team from playing for the third straight day.
Gwinnett Braves 5, Charlotte Knights 7
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 2-3, 2 BB, SB (5), .412 AVG
- Stefan Gartrell DH 1-5, HR (24), 2 RBI, .271 AVG
- Wil Nieves C 2-4, 2 RBI, .400 AVG
- Erik Cordier 3.2 IP, 6 R, 5 ER, 6 H, 5 BB, 3 K, 5.71 ERA
- Jaye Chapman 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.16 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky extended his hitting streak to 10 games, giving him a cool .414 average, .454 OBP, .966 OPS, 3 RBI, and 3 stolen bases during the streak. stefan Gartrell has also been hot over his last 10 games, hitting .316 with a .962 OPS. Erik Cordier had another rough start, allowing 6 runs, 5 earned, without making it out of the 4th inning. In his last 3 starts he has a 13.11 ERA and a 2.83 WHIP. Jaye Chapman continues to impress, with 2 scoreless innings. The 24 year old righty has a 2.16 ERA, a 0.96 WHIP, and 10.4 K/9 in 41.2 innings at AAA this year.
Mississippi Braves 6, Carolina Mudcats 3
- Willie Cabrera 2B 2-3, 3 RBI, .271 AVG
- Chris Cody 6 IP, 2 R, 9 H, 0 BB, 5 K, W (1), 3.00 ERA
- Benino Pruneda 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.07 ERA
- JJ Hovoer 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 2.51 ERA
Chris Cody allowed a lot of hits, 9 over 6 innings, but he only allowed 2 runs, which was good enough for him to pick up a win in his Braves debut. Benino Pruneda struck out 2 over a scoreless inning, and the diminutive righty, who can touch the high 90s with his fastball, remains one of the most frustrating prospects in the organization. Every year of his career he's started hot and faded down the stretch, mostly due to his size, and this year is no different, with a 3.09 ERA, a 1.38 WHIP, 5.1 BB/9, and 8.2 K/9 in the first half, compared to a 5.94 ERA, a 1.80 WHIP, 8.6 BB/9, and 15.1 K/9 in the second half. JJ Hoover has a 1.40 ERA, a 1.03 WHIP, and 8.8 K/9 in 19.1 innings as a reliever, a clear sign that if the Braves intend for him to pitch out of the bullpen the rest of the year, he should be doing it in AAA.
Zeke Spruill will make his second AA start tomorrow night.
Lynchburg Hillcats 9, Wilmington Blue Rocks 4
- Andrelton Simmons SS 2-5, 2 2B, RBI, .294 AVG
- Joey Teroslavich 1B 2-5, 2B, HR (16), RBI, .282 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 1-3, HR (8), 2 RBI, BB, E (16), .257 AVG
- Gerry Rodriguez DH 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .197 AVG
- Keenan Wiley RF 1-2, 2B, 3 RBI, .297 AVG
- LV Ware LF-RF 1-3, 2B, BB, E (2), OF Assist, .252 AVG
- David Hale 6.1 IP, 4 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 5 K, W (3), 3.53 ERA
David Hale didn't exactly dominate in this one, but he was good enough to pick up the win, mostly because he didn't hurt himself with walks, something he's done well as a starter, with a 2.4 BB/9 walk rate as a starter compared to a 3.6 BB/9 rate as a reliever. Joey Teroslavich rapped out his league leading 43rd double, as well as his team leading 16th home run, giving him 60 extra base hits on the season. In his last 10 games, he's hitting .405 with a 1.276 OPS. Joe Leonard hit his 8th homer of the year, and his 3rd in his last 7 games. Over those 7 games, he's gone 9-29 with 11 RBI and 3 walks. Andrelton Simmons hit a pair of doubles, extending his hitting streak to 5 games, going 8-23 with 4 doubles and 4 RBI in that span. LV Ware had another productive game, doubling, walking, and throwing a runner out at home, though he did make a throwing error on another play. Still, in his last 10 games the 24 year old Atlanta native has hit .367 with a 1.041 OPS.
Dimasther Delgado takes the hill for the Hillcats on Saturday.
Rome Braves 2, Augusta Greenjackets 6
- Matt Lipka SS 1-3, BB, .237 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 2-4, .267 AVG
- Evan Gattis 1B 2-4, HR (17), RBI, .287 AVG
- Ronan Pacheco 3.2 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 4.50 ERA
Ronan Pacheco had a nice, if short, start, striking out 5 while allowing 1 run over 3.2 innings. In his last 2 appearances he's allowed 1 run over 6.2 innings, walking 3 and striking out 7. Evan Gattis hit his first homer since he hit 4 in 2 days, and in his last games he's gone 3-8 with a double and a homer. The 24 year old has hammered lefties this year, hitting .433 with a 1.477 OPS, clubbing out 10 of his home runs in just 60 at bats against southpaws.
Carlos Perez will take on Augusta tomorrow.
Danville Braves 7, Princeton Rays 5
- Elmer Reyes 2B 4-5, 2B, 3B, HR (1), 2 RBI, E (7), .282 AVG
- Brandon Drury 3B 3-5, HR (7), 3 RBI, E (5), .333 AVG
- Edison Sanchez DH 2-5, .305 AVG
- Ernesto Silva 6 IP, 4 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 4 K, W (4), 5.73 ERA
It's been a trying year for Elmer Reyes. The 21 year old Nicaraguan started the year with Rome, but was sent down to Danville after hitting just .178 with a lowly .474 OPS through 230 at bats. In his first 79 at bats with Danville, he was hitting just .253 with a .662 OPS. But he's started to catch fire, hitting .326 with a .848 OPS in his last 10 games, and that came to a head today as he hit for the cycle, doubling in the 1st, homering in the 3rd, tripling in the 5th, and singling in the 7th. Brandon Drury was just 2 for his last 18, but he had 3 hits in 5 at bats today, including his 7th homer of the year. A right handed hitter, he's crushing lefties this year, with a .421 average and 1.053 OPS in 38 at bats, though 6 of his homers have come off righties. Edison Sanchez had a pair of singles, extending his hitting streak to 8 games. The 20 year old Venezuelan is now hitting .305 with a .834 OPS.
The D-Braves return home tomorrow, where Lucas La Point will take on the Bristol White Sox.
GCL Braves 6, GCL Yankees 1
- Gerardo Reyes 2B 2-4, 2B, RBI, SB (16), .290 AVG
- Will Skinner LF 2-5, RBI, .273 AVG
- Carlos Franco 3B 2-5, 2B, RBI, .216 AVG
- Troy Snitker C 2-5, 2B, HR (3), 2 RBI, .210 AVG
- Hector Garcia PR-CF 1-2, BB, SB (8), .202 AVG
- Rafael Briceno 6 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 6 K, W (1), 4.54 ERA
Rafael Briceno picked up his first win of the season by shutting out the Yankees over 6 innings, striking out 6 in the process. It was a nice comeback after the 20 year old Venezuelan righty allowed 7 earned runs over 10 innings in his last 2 starts. Carlos Franco, a 19 year old Dominican third baseman, is hitting just .216 with a .606 OPS this year, but in his last 8 games he's gone 10-33 with 2 doubles, 4 RBI, and a walk. Hector Garcia, a 19 year old Colombian center fielder, has also struggled this year, hitting .202 with a .595 OPS, but he's on a hot streak, hitting .346 with a .930 OPS, 3 doubles, 3 RBI, 5 walks, and 7 stolen bases in his last 10 games.
Sean Gilmartin, the Braves 2011 first round pick, is scheduled to make his professional debut for the GCL Braves on Saturday.
DSL Braves - Postponed
Tropical Storm Emily has taken out the last 3 days of DSL action.