Tyler Pastornicky and Edison Sanchez extended hitting streaks, LV Ware and Keenan Wiley combined to power a Lynchburg victory, while brothers Kurt and Kenny Fleming extended their own hitting streaks while helping Danville to a rout.
Gwinnett Braves 2, Charlotte Knights 6
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 1-3, HR (1), 2 RBI, .400 AVG
- Yohan Flande 5 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 3.72 ERA
- Cory Gearrin 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 1.93 ERA
- Arodys Vizcaino 1 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 1.80 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky extended his hitting streak to 9 games with his first AAA home run. During the streak, the 21 year old shortstop is hitting .395, which is actually less than the .407 he hit in his first 6 games with Gwinnett. Cory Gearrin pitched another scoreless inning, giving him 7.1 scoreless since he was sent down from Atlanta on July 22nd. Arodys Vizcaino allowed an unearned run, and he's only given up 1 earned run over 5 innings in 5 AAA appearances. For the year, the 20 year old Dominican has a 3.13 ERA, a 1.13 WHIP, and 9.4 K/9 innings in 95 innings between Lynchburg, Mississippi, and Gwinnett.
Erik Cordier will face the Knights on Friday.
Mississippi Braves 3, Jackson Generals 5
- Antoan Richardson LF 2-5, .307 AVG
- Donell Linares 3B 2-4, 2B, .281 AVG
- Dan Nelson 2B 2-4, .322 AVG
- Cory Harrilchak RF 1-3, BB, .243 AVG
- Matt Kennelly C 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI, .257 AVG
- Jose Lugo 7 IP, 5 ER, 11 H, 4 BB, 4 K, 4.59 ERA
Dan Nelson had a 2 hit game, and in his last 10 games he's hitting .424 with a .912 OPS. Donell Linares has also been on a roll, going 7-12 in his last 3 games, and hitting .368 with a .876 OPS in his last 10 games. A 2 hit day extended Antoan Richardson's hitting streak to 6 games, and during that span he's gone 11-26 with 5 walks and 3 stolen bases. Matt Kennelly's also been hot, with a .282 average and a .723 OPS in his last 10 games.
Lefty Chris Cody will make his Mississippi debut on Friday as the team returns home to face the Carolina Mudcats.
Lynchburg Hillcats 4, Frederick Keys 2
- Todd Cunningham DH 1-2, RBI, HBP, SF, .281 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 2-3, BB, .257 AVG
- Keenan Wiley RF 3-4, 2B, .296 AVG
- LV Ware CF 2-3, 3B, RBI,.SAC, .251 AVG
- Gary Moran 6 IP, 2 R, 0 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (11), 4.67 ERA
Lynchburg's 8 and 9 hitters, Keenan Wiley and LV Ware, combined to go 5-7 and score all 4 of the team's runs. Wiley led off the top of the 9th inning with a single and Ware drove him home with a triple, which would become the winning run. Wiley has a 6 game hitting streak, going 11-23 with 3 doubles, 2 walks, and 4 stolen bases in that span. Ware has been on a roll in his last 10 games, hitting .387 with a 1.070 OPS. Gary Moran had a great debut for the Hillcats, shutting out the Keys over 6 innings, striking out 4.
Rome Braves - Postponed
Rain caused the cancellation of the final game in the Greenville series, and, since they don't come back to Rome, the R-Braves will play a home game in Greenville in a few weeks when they head up there for their regularly scheduled series.
Danville Braves 10, Princeton Rays 1
- Edison Sanchez 1B 1-4, 3B, RBI, BB, .299 AVG
- Kurt Fleming CF 2-5, 3B, .236 AVG
- Fernando de los Santos 2B 2-3, 2 2B, 3 RBI, BB, E (5), .301 AVG
- Kenny Fleming LF 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB, .209 AVG
- JR Graham 6 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 K, W (3), 2.18 ERA
- Wilson Rivera 2 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 1.10 ERA
The bottom 3 hitters in the order, Kurt and Kenny Fleming and Fernando de los Santos, combined to go 6-11 with 3 doubles, a triple, 4 RBI, and 2 walks, while scoring 7 of the team's 10 runs. Kurt Fleming, the 19 year old center fielder, has a 4 game hitting streak, going 6-17 with a double, and a triple in that span. His older brother, 21 year old left fielder Kenny, also has a 4 game hitting streak, going 8-14 with 3 doubles and 3 RBI during his streak. Edison Sanchez has his own 7 game hitting streak, going 11-30 with 2 doubles, a triple, 3 RBI, and 3 walks in that span. JR Graham had a great start, shutting out the Rays over 6 innings, allowing just 4 baserunners. Wilson Rivera continues to excel in relief, striking out 4 over 2 innings while allowing 1 unearned run. He has 28 strikeouts in 16.1 innings this year, good for a 15.4 K/9 rate.
Ernesto Silva will face the Rays tomorrow.
GCL Braves 0, GCL Tigers 11
- Gerardo Reyes DH 1-3, 2B, BB, .282 AVG
- Eduardo Castillo 4 IP, 4 ER, 5 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 4.69 ERA
Gerardo Reyes, a 20 year old Mexican second baseman, has had a nice year in the GCL, hitting .282 with a .382 OBP, .722 OPS, and 15 stolen bases. Last season, in the DSL, he hit .301 with a .381 OBP, .745 OPS, and 20 stolen bases. Eduardo Castillo, a 21 year old Dominican righty, had a rough day, allowing 4 runs over 4 innings, and after shutting out the GCL Tigers over 7 innings on July 23rd, he's allowed 8 runs in 9 innings in his last 2 starts. After putting up a 3.30 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP in 73.2 innings last season between the DSL and the GCL, his 2011 has been a bit of a disappointment, as he has a 4.69 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP in 40.1 innings in the GCL this year.
DSL Braves - Postponed
Tropical Storm Emily, which is an adorable name for a tropical storm, washed out every game in the Dominican today.