Just the Hillcats picked up a win tonight with good pitching and more crushing from Joey Terdoslavich. Todd Cunningham may be the most overlooked prospect in the organization this year. He hasn't blown the world away this year but he has been solid after starting at High A in his first professional season.
Mississippi Braves 3, Jackson Generals 5
- Willie Cabrera, LF 2-5, RBI, K, .270 Avg
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B 2-4, 2 2B, K, .302 Avg
- Donell Linares, 3B 2-4, 2B, RBI, .278 Avg
Aaron Shafer's first game for Mississippi didn't go as well as he planned as he allowed five runs in 5.2 innings of work. Ernesto Mejia continues to mash opposing pitchers. With the promotions of Delgado, Vizcaino and Pastornicky I find it hard to stay interested in this team.
Lynchburg Hillcats 7, Frederick Keys 1
- Todd Cunningham, CF 2-5, 2B, 2 K, .279 Avg
- Phil Gosselin, DH 1-2, 2 RBI, K, .268 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B 1-3, HR(15), 3 RBI, .284 Avg
- Chris Masters 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 3.08 ERA
Chris Masters continued his mini bounceback in the second half with another solid outing. He has allowed one run or less in five consecutive starts and has his season ERA down to 3.08. Terdoslavich continues to pound baseballs like they stole something from him. He has hit in six straight games and has racked up a total of seven extra base hits in that span. There is an outside shot he could end up with 80 extra base hits this season which would be pretty incredible.
Greenville Drive 7, Rome Braves 5
- Tommy La Stella, 2B 1-5, 2B, .263 Avg
- Robby Hefflinger, DH 2-4, 2B, RBI, K, .272 Avg
- Matt Weaver, LF 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, .304 Avg
- Kyle Rose, CF 1-3, 2B, BB, SB(8), .204 Avg
Caleb Brewer surrendered seven runs in three innings of work and the good start he had to this season is quickly sliding down the tube. Over his last ten games he has given up seven or more runs five times. That is five times in ten games. Actually less than that. I can't say that it is because it is his second or third time through the league or if he is just tiring out because of his injury history and workload. He is supposed to have a live arm but the two months have not been kind.
Danville Braves 4, Princeton Mariners 5
- Elmer Reyes, 2B 3-5, 2B, K, .272 Avg
- Brandon Drury, 3B 1-5, 2B, RBI, .327 Avg
- Edison Sanchez, 1B 3-5, .301 Avg
- Kenny Fleming, CF 2-4, 2 2B, 2 K, .188 Avg
- Adam Holland 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K, 4.26 ERA
Brandon Drury has seen his average fall about 35 points in the last three games after collecting just one hit in that span. He still has just three walks on the season but his power appears to be real and if he can learn some pitch selection he could be really dangerous. Edison Sanchez (one of my favorite Braves prospects) has been a completely different hitter and has been heading in the opposite direction since he started getting regular playing time. He has a seven game hitting streak and has posted a .435 OBP this season though his power hasn't shown up quite like I had expected. Either way I still think he is one of the biggest sleepers in the system and I would be surprised to see him break out in the next season or two. Adam Holland has now struck out 16 hitters in his last 6.1 innings.
GCL Tigers 10, GCL Braves 0
- Logan Robbins, SS 1-4, K, .242 Avg
There weren't a whole lot of positive things going on this game for the Braves. They had eight hits as a team but no one player had more than one. The pitching was worse.
DSL Tigers @ DSL Braves
Tropical storms put almost all of the DSL on hold today.