Norfolk Tides 1, Gwinnett Braves 4
- Matt Young, LF 1-4, 3B, 2 K, .264 Avg
- Wes Helms, 3B 2-4, 2 RBI, .190 Avg
- Mauro Gomez, DH 2-4, 2B, .280 Avg
- Yohan Flande 6 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 5 K, 3.88 ERA
- J.J. Hoover 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4.30 ERA
- Jairo Asencio 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB 3 K, 1.46 ERA
Everyone that stepped on the mound wearing a Gwinnett jersey pitched great tonight. Flande had a no hitter through six innings tonight, but walked the leadoff man in the seventh and gave up a single to the second man. The man on second eventually scored but that was the only run the Braves staff gave up. Since returning to AAA in relief J.J. Hoover has tossed 9.2 scoreless innings allowing just two hits, three walks and striking out twenty. Those are Kimbrelian type numbers.
Mississippi Braves 15, Montgomery Biscuits 0
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B 2-5, HR(22), .299 Avg
- Ed Lucas, SS 2-6, 3 RBI, K, .273 Avg
- Matt Kennelly, C 3-6, 2B, 2 RBI, K, .257 Avg
- Sean Henry, DH 3-6, 4 RBI, .233 Avg
Jose Lugo pitched a eight innings of three hit ball behind an offensive onslaught from the M-Braves. Actually this game was more like death by a thousand papercuts as the Braves knocked out 19 hits and just two of them went for extra bases. Every starter collected at least one hit, seven had two hits and and three had three hits. The Braves have waited late in the year to really turn it out winning eight of their last ten games. They are in second place in the division but 10.5 games out and their elimination number is 2. They would need to win every game the rest of the way and Mobile would have to lose the rest just to tie at the end.
Lynchburg Hillcats 2, Myrtle Beach Pelicans 3 - 12 Innings
- Christian Bethancourt, DH2-6, 2 K, .268 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B 4-6, 2B, .285 Avg
- David Hale 8 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR, 4.30 ERA
After a terrible start that saw David Hale give up nine runs in less than five innings the good Hale returned tonight to go eight strong against the former Braves affiliate. Unfortunately the Pelicans Justin Grimm was just as good and the game was left up to the bullpens. Hale allowed two homers to the Pelicans Mike Olt tonight. Olt has owned the Hillcats this season hitting five of his thirteen homers against them.
Savannah Sandgnats 3, Rome Braves 4
- David Rohm, RF 1-3, 3B, .274 Avg
- Tony Mueller, CF 2-3, 2B, RBI, .240 Avg
- Ronan Pacheco 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 4.50 ERA
The R-Braves managed just four hits and just one walk tonight but capitalized on four errors from the Sandgnats to get four runs. Ronan Pacheco wasn't exactly dominant, striking out just one batter, but he got ten ground balls to help work around the baserunners he allowed.
Johnson City Cardinals 8, Danville Braves 1
- Fernando De Los Santos, SS 1-4, 2B, .322 Avg
- Brandon Drury, 3B 2-4, 2 2B, K, .352 Avg
Even on nights like this one Brandon Drury finds a way to shine. His two doubles tonight give him 32 extra base hits on the season out a total of 90. The impressive thing about him is he has struck out in just under 15% of his plate appearances this season. Not on does he make hard contact consistently but he also gets the ball in play on a regular basis. His home run power has diminished a bit this month but Firstinning.com has him down for a 20% line drive rate for the season. Basically what I am saying is he has been very impressive all season long.
GCL Blue Jays @ GCL Braves
Hurricane Irene has other plans for baseball fans this weekend.