The Braves farmhands put together the super rare organizational sweep tonight (though two teams were off). Good pitching reared its head throughout the farm tonight after some serious offensive outbursts over the last week. Julio Teheran had an OK start but his ability to control his pitchcount is still an issue. Zeke Spruill put together a gem as well while Frank Lafreniere helped flirt with a no hitter. Also today is my birthday! Happy Birthday me!
Charlotte Knights 2, Gwinnett Braves 3
- Stefan Gartrell, RF 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, K, .262 Avg
- Brandon Hicks, SS 2-4, RBI, 2 K, .264 Avg
- Peter Moylan 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- Julio Teheran 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2.19 ERA
With just two weeks left in the season the G-Braves have dropped to 5.5 games out of the division race and 3.5 out of the wild card. All of their remaining games are against Charlotte, Norfolk and the Division leader Durham. Moylan's rehab appears to be coming along perfectly just in time for roster expansion in September. Julio Teheran threw 101 pitches in just five innings tonight demonstrating that while he is awesome he still has some things he needs to work on.
Mississippi Braves 8, Montgomery Biscuits 5
- Dan Nelson, 3B 3-5, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, .329 Avg
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B 2-6, HR(21), 3 RBI, K, .299 Avg
- Sean Henry, LF 2-5, 2 2B, .216 Avg
- Zeke Spruill 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4.20 ERA
- Kenshin Kawakami 1 IP , 3 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 7.58 ERA
Zeke Spruill put together his first really good start for the M-Braves tonight and Dan Nelson lead the offense and fell a homer shy of the cycle. Srpuill has put together a nice season between Lynchburg and Mississippi after a tumultuous 2010 season and has put some of the shine back on his star.
Savanah Sand Gnats 3, Rome Braves 4
- Matt Lipka, SS 2-4, 2 K, CS(13), .237 Avg
- Tommy La Stella, 2B 2-4, 2B, K, .326 Avg
- Chris Garcia, 1B 1-1, 3 BB, .324 Avg
- David Rohm, RF 2-4, K, .271 Avg
- Carlos Perez 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 4.86 ERA
The R-Braves didn't score ten runs tonight but they did enough to get the win and Carlos Perez put together a nice relief outing. The Braves are easing off on his workload late in the season and the extra rest appeared to give him some extra life tonight. Tommy La Stella cracked out two more hits which gives him seven straight games with at least two hits and nine of his last ten games. That is pretty ridiculous.
Danville Braves 11, Kingsport Mets 2
- Kyle Kubitza, 3B 2-4, 2B, RBI, K, .321 Avg
- Chase Larsson, LF 3-5, HR(8), 2 RBI, K, .235 Avg
- Fernando De Los Santos, 2B 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .324 Avg
- Rafael Briceno 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K, 3.14 ERA
The Danville just keeps rolling along and tonight the two big boys (Beckwith and Drury) went just 1-10, but the team still scored eleven runs. Kyle Kubitza is my favorite 2011 draftee so far and he is my darkhorse candidate to take over third from Chipper. Granted I say this after less than 200 pro at bats from him. Fernando De Los Santos is another guy who has come out swinging a good bat this season. His profile reminds me a little of Martin Prado at this point. He is showing some doubles pop and has played all over the diamond. He could be one whose bat develops slowly over and never wows us but ends up being productive anyways. Or I could be full of it.
GCL Pirates 1, GCL Braves 11
- Carlos Franco, 3B 3-3, 2B, 2 RBI, SB(8), .239 Avg
- Will Skinner, 2-5, 2B, RBI, K, .288 Avg
- Aris Alcantara, 1B 1-4, HR(4), 5 RBI, .269 Avg
- Felix Marte, RF 3-5, 2B, 2 K, .281 Avg
- Seth Moranda, SS 2-4,2B, RBI, BB, .208 Avg
- Frank Lafreniere 7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3.79 ERA
The Braves almost pulled off the combined no hitter Yaliar Castro pitched a hitless first inning in rehab and then Frank Lafreniere threw six innings of hitless baseball (he did hit one batter) before giving up a lead off homer in the eighth inning to lose both the no hitter and shutout. Felix Marte is still my favorite hitter on this team but he needs to cut down on the strikeouts a bit.