Evan Gattis, fresh off being named the South Atlantic League Player of the Week, had a 2 homer game, while Joey Terdoslavich continued his fine season with a 4 hit showing in a double header, and Stefan Gartrell homered to put himself into a tie for the league lead in RBI.
- Ruben Gotay 2B 2-4, .263 AVG
- Stefan Gartrell DH 1-4, HR (25), 2 RBI, .257 AVG
- Mauro Gomez 1B 3-4, .281 AVG
- Erik Cordier 6 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 7 K, 5.28 AVG
Stefan Gartrell broke out of a 1-15 slump with his 25th homer of the season. With his 2 RBI, Gartrell is now tied for the league lead, and he's second in the league in homers, and third in slugging percentage. Mauro Gomez had a 3 hit day, and in his last 3 games, he's gone 6-12. Erik Cordier had his second straight quality start, striking out 7 over 6 innings. He has a 3.00 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP in those 2 starts after putting up a 13.11 ERA and a 2.83 WHIP in the 3 starts before that.
Gwinnett heads to Syracuse tomorrow to face the Cheifs, Washington's AAA team.
Mississippi Braves - Off
Chris Cody will face his former team, the Huntsville Stars, as the M-Braves return home on Tuesday.
Lynchburg Hillcats 0, Winston-Salem Dash 10, Game 1
- Andrelton Simmons 2-3, BB, E (15), .297 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 1B 2-4, .269 AVG
- Christian Bethancourt C 2-4, .250 AVG
- David Hale 5 IP, 5 ER, 8 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 6.49 ERA
This game was the completion of a game started on June 28th, which is why Andrelton Simmons' error was credited as his 15th, even though he's up to 26 on the season, and why Zeke Spruill was credited with an appearance, even though he didn't throw a pitch before the game was suspended and is currently in AA. After putting up a 1.80 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP in his first 6 starts, David hale has struggled to a 5.40 ERA and a 1.53 WHIP in his last 3 starts. Christian Bethancourt had a pair of singles, and in his last 6 games he's gone 8-22.
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Winston-Salem Dash 8, Game 2
- Joey Terdoslavich 2-3, HR (17), RBI, .284 AVG
- Keenan Wiley RF 2-3, 2 RBI, .289 AVG
- Gary Moran 1.1 IP, 5 ER, 8 , 1 BB, 1 K, 2.93 ERA
- Matt Crim 1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 5.70 ERA
- Ryan Buchter 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 4.22 ERA
Joey Terdoslavich was 4-7 in the doubleheader, hitting his 17th homer of the year. He has 3 straight 2 hit games, and is now up to 65 extra bases on the year. His season is reminicent of Ernesto Mejia's 2008 at Myrtle Beach. Mejia was also a 22 year old first baseman, and he finished with 73 extra base hits, including a league high 47 doubles, and a .274/.324/.505/.829 slash line, which is pretty simliar to the .281/.338/.517/.855 line Terdoslavich has put up so far. In his first 2 starts with Lynchburg, Gary Moran didn't allow an earned run over 14 innings, but he gave up 5 in just 1.1 innings tonight.
Caleb Brewer will make his Lynchburg debut against the Dash on Tuesday.
Rome Braves 2, Greenville Drive 3, Game 1
- Tommy La Stella 2B 2-3, 3B, RBI, .270 AVG
- Evan Gattis C 1-3, RBI, .309 AVG
- Ronan Pacheco 5 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.54 ERA
Rome Braves 6, Greenville Drive 3, Game 2
- Evan Gattis DH 2-4, 2 HR (20, 21), 2 RBI, .312 AVG
- Edward Salcedo 3B 1-3, HR (12), 2 RBI, .259 AVG
- Tony Mueller CF 2-2, RBI, .222 AVG
- Danilo Alvarez 5 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 3.86 ERA
Evan Gattis, fresh off being named the SAL Player of the Week, went 3-7 in the doubleheader, cracking out a pair of homers. The slugger is averaging a homer every 13.4 at bats, meaning that if he had around 400 at bats like most full-time players, he'd have 30 homers. Edward Salcedo broke out of a 1-15 slump in the second game with his 12th homer of the season. Danilo Alvarez's first start of the season was a good one, as he allowed just 1 run over 5 innings, striking out 4. In his last 6 appearances, the 21 year old Nicaraguan has a 0.59 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP. In his last 4 starts, Ronan Pacheco has a 3.38 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.
Carlos Perez will face Greenville on Tuesday.
Danville Braves - Off
The D-Braves return home on Tuesday where Ernesto Silva will face the Princeton Rays.
GCL Braves 6, GCL Tigers 7
- Gerardo Reyes 2B 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, E (9), .282 AVG
- Hector Luna SS 2-4, RBI, BB, E (9), .273 AVG
- Aris Alcantra 1B 1-4, 3B, 3 RBI, .280 AVG
- Jean Carlos Gil 6.2 IP, 4 R, 2 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 2.91 ERA
Gerardo Reyes and Ronald Luna got the job done at the top of the order, combining to reach base 6 times. Reyes, a 20 year old Mexican, has been phenomenal as a leadoff hitter, with a .390 OBP this season. In his last 8 games, Aris Alcantra is 10-27 with 2 doubles, a triple, a homer, 7 RBI and 2 stolen bases.
DSL Braves 0, DSL Angels 6
- Jose Peraza SS 1-3, E (15), .288 AVG
- Abraham Espinosa 4 IP, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 7 K, 2.15 ERA
Abraham Espinosa didn't walk anyone, and he struck out 7 over just 4 innings, but he also managed to give up 3 earned runs, after only allowing 2 earned runs in 31.2 innings over his last 8 starts. Jose Peraza has a modest 4 game hitting streak going, though he's just 4-16 in those games.