Brian McCann hit a homer in his second rehab game in Gwinnett and promptly declared himself healthy. I drool over what our lineup will be like with everyone together now. Todd Redmond backed up McCann's homer with another solid pitching performance and Chris Masters took a no hitter into the sixth inning but picked up a no decision when Andrelton Simmons committed a walk off error.
- Brian McCann, C 1-3, HR, K, .333 Avg
- Mauro Gomez, 1B 3-4, 2B, .279 Avg
- Wilkin Ramirez, RF 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, .262 Avg
- Todd Redmond 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 2.84 ERA
Todd Redmond tossed another gem for Gwinnett and Brian McCann homered in what will probably be his last game rehabbing for Gwinnett. Redmond continues to dazzle at AAA and should probably get a chance somewhere, but it most likely won't be with the Braves. Tyler Pastornicky did pick up a hit tonight as well. Gwinnett currently sits one game behind Durham in the division.
Mississippi Braves 3, Mobile BayBears 11
- Mycal Jones, CF 2-5, PO, .239 Avg
- Willie Cabrera, 2B 2-5, 2B, 3B, K, .267 Avg
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B 1-3, RBI, BB, 2 K, .294 Avg
- Braeden Schlehuber, C 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K, .250 Avg
Not much went right for the M-Braves tonight especially on the pitching side of things. The starter, Shafer, gave up six runs (five in the fifth) in less than five innings and the relief didn't give much relief. The offense collected thirteen hits but couldn't capitalize on their many opportunities The defense also committed five errors, three from Donell Linares.
Lynchburg Hillcats 2, Wilmington BlueRocks 3
- Todd Cunningham, CF 1-4, .291 Avg
- Andrelton Simmons, SS 1-4, 2B, .299 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt, C 0-2, RBI, BB, 2 K, .238 Avg
- Chris Masters 8 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 9 K, 3.28 ERA
Chris Masters and Justin Marks were locked in a tough pitcher's duel for most of the game with Masters holding the BlueRocks hitless until they broke through for two runs in the sixth inning. The Hillcats got the runs back in the top of the seventh but Eliecer Cardenas came on in relief in the ninth inning and gave up two consecutive singles before Andrelton Simmons committed the walkoff error. That's a tough way to lose a game.
Asheville Tourists 2, Rome Braves 7
- Evan Gattis, DH 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, BB, K, .303 Avg
- Edward Salcedo, 3B 1-2, RBI, K, .262 Avg
- Matt Weaver, RF 2-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .289 Avg
- Willie Kempf 7 IP, 6 H, 2 R(1 ER), 3 BB, 8 K, 3.38 ERA
Rome's offense broke out tonight against the Tourists scoring more than five runs for just the second time this month. Willie Kempf tossed his best game of the season but at 23 years old he should be doing this at least one level higher and probably two. Edward Salcedo went 1-2 tonight but he is hitting just .211 this month and appears to be tiring out a bit.
Danville Braves 9, Burlington Royals 2
- Nick Ahmed, SS 3-5, SB(14), .255 Avg
- Chase Larsson, LF-CF 1-3, HR(7), 3 RBI, 2 BB, K, SB(5), .232 Avg
- Brandon Drury, 2B 2-4, HR(8), 2 RBI, 2 K, .245 Avg
- Sam Munson, RF 2-5, 2 RBI, K, .281 Avg
- Kurt Fleming, CF 2-4, RBI, .250 Avg
- David Filak 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K, 6.07 ERA
Danville's offense blew up tonight behind Larsson and Drury's home runs and David Filak never looked back. 2011 has been an incredibly rough year for Filak who posted a 7.54 ERA in Rome and still has a 6.07 for Danville even after tonight's game. He may be showing signs of turning it around however after throwing 11 innings and allowing just two runs and nine strikeouts in his last two outings.
GCL Braves 8, GCL Blue Jays 6
- Logan Robbins, SS 1-5, HR(6), 4 RBI, .222 Avg
- Aris Alcantara, 1B 2-5, 2B, HR(3), K, .281 Avg
The Braves were down 6-2 going into the top of the ninth inning. Aris Alcantara led off the inning with a double and the Braves eventually collected two runs and had the bases loaded with two outs when Logan Robbins hit the go ahead grand slam. Expectations for Alcantara were high after he showed excellent plate discipline and moderate power in the DSL last year but he got off to a slow start. August has been a change of pace however as he has posted a .980 OPS this month.
DSL Braves 3, DSL Angels 6
- Jose Peraza, SS 1-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K, .287 Avg
Jose Peraza has been in a mini-slump lately and hopefully getting an extra base hit will help him break out of it.